Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My new title is Handi-woman Quilter Supreme

Blog Entries
    WOW - there is nothing that a man can do that a woman cannot also do - except for some brute strength things. My DH doesn't know the difference between a saw and a hammer.
    Nikki in MO

Blog Entries
    You Go Girl!! She is woman watch her Quilt??? Anyway, so proud of you. He'll never gripe about all that junk again, will he. Now he has a new respect for what you do.
    Vonda-Texas MiMi of 4 Beautiful Grandbabies

Good job, sand great story. You go girl.
    Happy Sewing, Lisa E.
    Don't Cry Because It Is Over, Smile Because it Happened, Dr. Seuss

That is so cool and also that he appreciated you and your stuff afterwards, right on!
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

What a great story!! LOL!

great story! good for you.

Blog Entries
    "...He says isn't Joann's having a sale today? Yep. Well if there anymore of these cool things you need, go get them, because they are really slick. No, honey, other than replacing the blades we used out of my stock, I am pretty set for now...."
    No???? You said no? I would strike while the iron is hot!
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Terrific story! I also used my quilting ruler several years ago to cut vinyl tiles for my bathroom. However, I didn't want to use my rotary cutter and ruin a blade, so I marked with a pencil and then cut with a utility knife. Same difference...
    Cindy

Curator of an 1889 Singer model 27 Fiddlebase Treadle, a 1951 Singer Centennial Featherweight, a 1956 Singer 401A, and a 1982 Bernina 830 Record.

ROFL! I see I'm not the only one that does this! My DH is home right now & is changing out the tub surround in the spare bathroom. Well, we bought a house that we knew we were going to do some remodeling. This simple task has turned into a total remodel! As I sit here typing, I'm surrounded by all the mess he's created. We've taken the bathroom down to the studs. He asked my GS to go to my studio & get one of my levels (I use it to keep my longarm level & also for the straight edge). Need a ruler? Ask Grandma! She's got lots in her studio! Isn't it amazing how our "stuff" comes in so handy for home repairs??

Thumbs up!

LOL....wonderful story!

Blog Entries
    You are one smart and creative woman! And your husband is smart enough to acknowledge it! Kudos to both of you!
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

LOL, love your story!!!!
    Grandma of 5 beautiful grand kids, 4 crazy cats & 1 dog!

Blog Entries
    Yes our quilting supplies are great for things other than quilting. I save a couple of old blades just for such things. I have a pack in my sewing room of old nicked blades.

"I am woman,hear me roar"!!!!! Would you run over to my house and help up lay the bathroom floor?

I've always felt that any woman who can cut out and sew a dress together (much less a quilt) can build a house. The skills are the same to a certain extent.

I spent all last year replacing carpeting with laminate, putting in new door facings, and baseboard. I also tore down and rebuilt the patio cover. I used my omnigrid rulers for all of the cuts, measurements, etc. I also laid new tile in both bathrooms. This year I'm going to tackle reflooring my kitchen. My hubby has been a little testy about the stack of tile in the garage, but I went to a Lowe's "yard sale" and they had 8 piece boxes of 18" ceramic tiles for $2.50. I bought enough to do my kitchen floor for less than $50. I call it my "building supply" cache.

It's amazing that you can get better measurements with the quilting rulers than you ever could with the mechanical stuff you buy at Home Depot.

What a great story. Loved every word. But I think I would have taken him up on going to Joann's for some "new supplies" Maybe he could have stocked up on his "own" quilting tools.
    Thanks for sharing this it was wonderful.
    Pat
    Patsy

I'm impressed!!! Very proud of you.
    Janelle

Great story!! Well done.

Great Story! My DH uses some of the quilting tools for his Guitar and Banjo(wooden musical instruments) making.

Blog Entries
    How great is that!! You now can change the light bulbs too. only need a step stool and the bulb you are changing out.

I love your story and how it all turned out. I also think you should take your husbands offer and go get some "supplies" at JoAnn's, you never know when you'll need them. LOL

Power Poster
    What a great story. But be sure to replace those rotary blades, and maybe the rotary cutters so he will have his own "tools". just like my husband made sure I had my own screwdrivers, hammer, measuring tape (well, the sewing tape is actually fine)so that I wouldn't use/lose "his tools". With his approval indeed I would replace the blades, after all they are not cheap unless there is a sale, but maybe something special that you have been wanting. What a great way to prove that woman can do things as well as a man. You go girl!!!

that is an awesome story.our tools are multi purpose afterall.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Blog Entries
    Great story.....Iloved it; and all the comments added. But, I am like you, I would have turned down the Jo Ann's offer. I get so mad at them 'til I can't stand it. I shop and go through the line, get rung up, and hand her my coupon, and she says "this one is out of date" or "this one won't work for these items".....GRRRRRH. Anyway, you are lucky that your math skills don't shut down with your sewing. I have to do the "eye it" thing to make my sewing work--numbers just go right out of my mind for measuring for accuracy. Sometimes my quilts turn out smaller than the pattern, and sometimes bigger. So what lucky person who receives it will notice.....or someone on a galloping horse at 50 paces......
    Make every day count for something!

JoAnn

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast