Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My New Toy >

My New Toy

My New Toy

Old 05-23-2011, 11:12 AM
Power Poster

love your review!
Old 05-23-2011, 11:20 AM

So, how long does it take to sharpen a blade?

Have fun with your new toy!
Old 05-23-2011, 11:28 AM

8 layers, now thats cutting i dont care what anybody says.
i tried to cut 6 and... well didnt work i had a wobble in it. more scraps..
Old 05-23-2011, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

Looks nice!
Old 05-23-2011, 01:02 PM

Just saw that recently somewhere and can't remember where...Glad to see the review and might make the investment
Old 05-23-2011, 01:31 PM
Administrator

the brand name is TrueCut Power Sharpener.

just for giggles, i plugged it into amazon.com

take a look. look at the bottom of the page and note the price of the blue plastic person-powered sharpener i was talking about. makes the electric model (which will sharpen all sizes up to 60mm) downright inexpensive. :shock: :lol:

cutting through a thick stack of fabs takes practice. needless to say, i have made my fair share of scraps during the process of figuring out what works and what doesn't. i don't remember whether or not it's the highest stack ever to go under my rotary blade but i do know i've cut through as many as 16 layers with a new 60mm blade.

things i've learned so far:

1. don't waste your time trying it on slippery fabrics unless you want oversized confetti instead of patches when you are done.

2. do it using fabrics that "stick" to each other.

3. lots of starch makes it even easier.

4. make sure to cut standing up, looking down onto a clear view of the ruler and fabric stack. make sure also that the cutting surface is hard and steady. the more comfortable the height, the better. kitchen counter is a good place.

5. make sure you have lots of light to work in - again, so you can see everything clearly.

6. start with stacks of 4 and work your way up. when you find your own personal limit, don't push your luck. swallow your pride and stick to that number of layers. (for me ... the hardest lesson to learn. :lol: )

7. when using a fabric for the first time, also start with 4 layers and work your way up.

8. on thick stacks, make a first-cut at the far edge of the stack. hold the rotary cutter straight vertically, and push down through the stack. do the same as you begin to cut from the edge closest to you. by doing that, you will not get any distortion as the blade moves through the stack and cuts through the far end.

9. if you are cutting around curves, don't try to make one long, swooping cut. instead, cut a few inches at a time. while holding the cutter, the stack and the ruler/template in place, carefully rotate to a comfortable angle and then continue the cut. (if you have a mat the right size, it's best to rotate the mat instead of the stack.)

10. for straight cuts, when you don't have a mat small enough to rotate, lift the cutter and ruler "clear away" from the stack and use a fingernail, stylus, knitting needle, etc. to gently push the stack into its new position. don't move it by touching the top of the stack in any way. that will disturb the fabs and they will become misaligned.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:52 PM

Very Interesting.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:21 PM

Sounds interesting
Old 05-23-2011, 02:33 PM

Patrice,

Sounds like good advice. I have never cut that many layers of fabric. Well that I know of. No, I think I usually stick to 4-6 tops. But then I am one of those people who will use that blade until it's not fit to cut anything but a piece of paper. Then I simply label it "paper only" and move on. I bought one of those blue sharpeners, but never found any value in it at all. Maybe because I assumed it didn't take a marathon work out. I thought it was more like a scissor or knife sharpener. 3 minutes and done. Guess not... I think I've already labelled it garbage and tossed it. This unit looks good.

Gotta ask, how on earth can you tell how many layers you have left? Are you using a magnifying glass? Can you actually see that?
Old 05-23-2011, 02:57 PM
Power Poster

Neat toy! Here's to more time sewing! ;)