Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: "my patterns"??????????????

"my patterns"??????????????

How is it possible that a person/company can lay claim to traditional patterns, many over a century old as "my patterns"?

Earlier, I started to post a link for a couple traditional 4 patch blocks, and the link came up as one I'm sure most of you have gone to before. Many of the patterns this site lays claim to were well established long before this person was born.

I know that, so any info about using "my patterns" goes in my mental round file. But how many newer quilters have been scared off with this site's empty threats?
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    it is the layout-design used with the blocks that is (copyrighted) techniques can not be copyrighted- and the actual block is available to anyone- it is what you do with the block that they claim to be theirs.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

They can also go stand in the garage and claim to be a car. Doesn't make it so.

^^^^LOL. Scissor Queen.

I have wondered the same thing myself. Lot's of "recycling" and claiming. bah.

The written instructions and photos or drawings used for those instructions are copyrighted, not the design itself. The written instructions are what make up a pattern.

Banned
    Last year when all the publicity was going on over the McCalls magazine article on copyright, there was a basic Lone Star quilt featured. Of course it had a copyright on it. I called a knowledgable person ask why a traditional pattern could be copyrighted. that person had also written an article on copyright so felt she has some knowledge.
    I was told that the Lone Star was not copyrighted but how it was constructed using the fabrics. That made it unique. As for as the basic pattern - that was not copyrighted. Also the instructions were copyrighted.

Yup, what dunster said!

Power Poster
    Yep, I hate that and I REALLY hate it when they give it another name and claim it as theirs. Some of us that have been around for a while can easily see through the deception but new quilters are getting short changed.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    it is the layout-design used with the blocks that is (copyrighted) techniques can not be copyrighted- and the actual block is available to anyone- it is what you do with the block that they claim to be theirs.

a layout is not shown, only a single block. And how all of a sudden after 100+ years do they claim a certain lay out is THIERS ALONE?
    U N T I E

I'm a new quilter and I have been kind of scared off by some of these copyright things. I know some quilt blocks are hundreds of years old so how on earth could they be copyrighted? Makes no sense to me.
    Emily

A fugitive from the Quilt Police

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    LOL! Well said!
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    The written instructions and photos or drawings used for those instructions are copyrighted, not the design itself. The written instructions are what make up a pattern.
    And that makes no sense to me. What are they doing that my grandmother didn't do?
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by Holice View Post
    Last year when all the publicity was going on over the McCalls magazine article on copyright, there was a basic Lone Star quilt featured. Of course it had a copyright on it. I called a knowledgable person ask why a traditional pattern could be copyrighted. that person had also written an article on copyright so felt she has some knowledge.
    I was told that the Lone Star was not copyrighted but how it was constructed using the fabrics. That made it unique. As for as the basic pattern - that was not copyrighted. Also the instructions were copyrighted.
    Using that as a basis, I can go pick out 8 fabrics of my choice and copyright the finished block?
    Doesn't float with me!
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    Yep, I hate that and I REALLY hate it when they give it another name and claim it as theirs. Some of us that have been around for a while can easily see through the deception but new quilters are getting short changed.
    That's what is bothering me. We know the patterns are older than anyone here. A new quilter might go to a site and think these the common patterns are indeed copyrighted and be scared off from using them.
    U N T I E

I don't know. But My Hubby and I talked He said it could be that "they' have 'Bought' the 'Rights' to the 'Patterns' !!
    But if not and the Patterns are in 'free public' not sure of the right words?
    WE should be able to do as we want!! With out asking for some small time 2@#$$% telling us how to DO.

It is a little much to me some of the copies rotted stuff. (Misspelling intended) I am sorry but it just seems to be that everyone wants to.get their cut of the money. A waste to me.
    when life gets you down go and talk with a little kid. They will help you work out even the worst problems with their simple logic.

Blog Entries
    copyrights are going into the bin due to the internet and all the sites there in. so many quilters are posting tutorials on how to make blocks or quilts that designers sell patterns for. it's happening every day. so things will be changing some time but i dont' know how they are going to handle this. I think the world is to big to put manacles on everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by icon17 View Post
    I don't know. But My Hubby and I talked He said it could be that "they' have 'Bought' the 'Rights' to the 'Patterns' !!
    But if not and the Patterns are in 'free public' not sure of the right words?
    WE should be able to do as we want!! With out asking for some small time 2@#$$% telling us how to DO.

Bought from whom? Mary Jo Smith who first made the pattern in 1792? (fictitious!)
    Very few, if any, of these patterns can be placed back to a single person. Take "Annie's choice" probably some Annie long 200 years before me! But none of us will ever know WHICH ANNIE!

Even if someone shows a pattern as first showing up decades ago, how do WE know that our GG Grandma was indeed the first to use the pattern.
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by sahm4605 View Post
    It is a little much to me some of the copies rotted stuff. (Misspelling intended) I am sorry but it just seems to be that everyone wants to.get their cut of the money. A waste to me.
    ^5! Excellent answer!
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    Oh no!! This one had me laughing out loud.....:-)
    Chris
    Third star to the right and straight on til morning.....

Hey people, chill! No one has ever, to my knowledge, claimed the copyright to the design of a block that they did not in fact invent. The written instructions are all that are copyrighted - the words on the page, together with any original art work or photographs. Not the method of construction, not the block, just that particular set of words and art work. Don't complain about a problem that doesn't exist.

Example: I wrote a pattern for the quilt in my avatar. I didn't invent the diamond log cabin design, and never claimed to. Part of my setting may be original to me, but I don't even know that for sure. But my pattern is copyright protected, because it is original. I put together the words and the pictures. That can't be legally copied by someone else, but anyone can make a quilt like mine, and they can do it with or without my pattern, with or without my methods of construction.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for that dunster. That's the best explanation I've heard.Certainly makes it clear. Is there a way to keep your answer at the top of a thread where hopefully all new quilters would see it?

Now just when I thought I could write a book called 75 Wonderful Quilts to Make, and then photograph my favorite quilts from the books in the library and the instructions on how to do them - and solve my current "how to pay the higher gas prices problem" I find out the pictures and instructions are copyrighted. So I have to make my own 75 wonderful quilts, write my own words, take my own pictures and then make my books.
    THAT makes sense. That's why we have copyright laws.
    Last edited by TanyaL; 02-27-2012 at 05:36 AM.

Blog Entries
    I agree with everything said as I have been quilting for 30 plus years and after that article in McCalls I quit all magazines
    subscritions as most all patterns today are spinoffs we have dicussed it in groups if there is such a thing as copyright how can they do all these spinoffs just to name a few origninal stack and whack spinoff oneblock wonder---orignial Square Dance spinoff twister also someone is doing a spinoff of Maggie Walkers cats now I see Judy Niemeyer has someone doing a spinoff of hers and oh yes I took a class from Sara Nephew years ago on the baby block one with no "Y" seams now there is a spinoff and that is just naming a few so if anyone can explain copyright I am all ears

Quote Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
    Using that as a basis, I can go pick out 8 fabrics of my choice and copyright the finished block?
    Doesn't float with me!
    No, If you try to copyright it with 8 fabrics you pick out, the fabric people will probably come after you for infringing on their copyrights!!! LOL! There's no winning in this day of self-preservation.
    Thimble and Thread

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast