Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Quilt Organic Backing Fabric Color is Rubbing Off While I Work! >

My Quilt Organic Backing Fabric Color is Rubbing Off While I Work!

My Quilt Organic Backing Fabric Color is Rubbing Off While I Work!

Old 12-20-2010, 06:16 PM

I'm in the middle of completing a quilt for my sister that I hoped to have completed by Christmas and have run into an issue. I prewashed all fabrics before starting, but when I'm working on the quilt, red color of the quilt backer is rubbing off on my sewing machine, clothing, and anything that comes into prolonged contact with the back of the quilt (which is made completely of the red/strawberry Woodland Chain organic fabric).
I'm not sure how to proceed with the project. If we wash the quilt after completion, will it bleed all over the other circa 50 organic fabrics used for the other squares? Do I wash it in cold water with vinegar (if so, how much) or some other product to further set the color? Do I have it dry cleaned, or will the chemicals they use be too harsh on the organic fibers? This is the first time working with organic fabrics, so I'm not sure if they need special handling. I've never run into this problem before and don't want to ruin the quilt since it was very costly for the fabrics and very time-consuming. :)
Not sure if it matters, but the batting used is a wool batting. Thanks!
Old 12-20-2010, 06:44 PM

I'm not sure I can help, but I would assume that it would bleed if washed. I never recommend dry cleaning, since the chemicals are nasty. Since you're using organic fabric, I ssume you want to avoid that. I'm a huge fan of organic, but at the same time, the reason we use synthetics, including newer dyes, is because, while they can be more harmful to the environment, they sometimes "work" better. I would think about the use of this quilt, and decide if you want to continue, unable to wash it, or if you want to rip out stitches and redo it with a different backing.

Good luck!
Old 12-20-2010, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by YaYaBean
I'm in the middle of completing a quilt for my sister that I hoped to have completed by Christmas and have run into an issue. I prewashed all fabrics before starting, but when I'm working on the quilt, red color of the quilt backer is rubbing off on my sewing machine, clothing, and anything that comes into prolonged contact with the back of the quilt (which is made completely of the red/strawberry Woodland Chain organic fabric).
I'm not sure how to proceed with the project. If we wash the quilt after completion, will it bleed all over the other circa 50 organic fabrics used for the other squares? Do I wash it in cold water with vinegar (if so, how much) or some other product to further set the color? Do I have it dry cleaned, or will the chemicals they use be too harsh on the organic fibers? This is the first time working with organic fabrics, so I'm not sure if they need special handling. I've never run into this problem before and don't want to ruin the quilt since it was very costly for the fabrics and very time-consuming. :)
I've never used such fabric BUT I would Sure Photo it and send a pic to who/where = Email/ phone. I got it and raise HE** !!! If you got it local take it to them and show it to them!! Sorry Just ME being Polite!! :lol:
Old 12-20-2010, 07:04 PM

If you do wash it be sure to use color catchers. I buy mine at Wal Mart. I think they are made by Shout, but don't remember for sure right now.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:58 PM
Power Poster

That is called "crocking" -- color rubbing off onto other surfaces due to mechanical abrasion. It's not exactly the same as bleeding, which occurs when the dye is wet.

The ideal would have been to treat the fabric with Retayne when you pre-washed it, then test for both bleeding (dropping a small piece in a glass of water for a half hour or so) and crocking (rubbing against a piece of white fabric). Once the fabric is in the quilt it is too late to treat with Retayne because Retayne would set any unwanted bleeds into other fabrics.

At this point I don't think there is anything that will guarantee this problem will stop. You can try washing with Synthrapol several times after the quilt is finished; that might do the trick. Synthrapol is sold in quilts shops and online; even Amazon has it.

"To prevent serious crocking or dye transfer, make sure to wash the fabric in Synthrapol (available from Dharma Trading Co.) thoroughly; Synthrapol suspends the excess dye in the water and keeps it from going back onto the fabric. This may take 2-3 trips through the washer. " from http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/...ricDyeing.htm.

It would be safer to take the quilt sandwich apart, remove the red fabric, and then treat it and test it before incorporating back into the quilt.

If you Google crocking dyes, you will find more info.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:17 PM
Banned

suggest you also write the company that printed it.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:24 AM

The color is also distributed in squares across the front of the quilt. Would you still take the quilt apart and treat the back separately from the front of the quilt?
Old 12-21-2010, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

The color is also distributed in squares across the front of the quilt. Would you still take the quilt apart and treat the back separately from the front of the quilt?
Honestly, I'd be tempted to finish the quilt and then take it to a laundromat, find the biggest front-loading washing machine possible, and wash it several times in Synthrapol.

The biggest risk is from the single large piece of backing fabric. If taking the quilt apart, that is the piece I would work on using Retayne and subsequent testing.

The smaller pieces on the front might still crock, but probably not in significant amounts. It would be enough to make sure that the quilt does not lie on itself while damp. Take it out of the washing machine immediately after it finishes; don't let it lie there for awhile. And again, wash several times with Synthrapol to at least get the worst of the crocking dye out of the fabric.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:40 AM

I would use a different backing, then make a sandwich with white and a scrap of your bleeding red organic fabric and wash separately and see what happens
Old 12-21-2010, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by icon17
I've never used such fabric BUT I would Sure Photo it and send a pic to who/where = Email/ phone. I got it and raise HE** !!! If you got it local take it to them and show it to them!! Sorry Just ME being Polite!! :lol:
I agree with you and I would do the same.