Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Quilting Manifesto >

My Quilting Manifesto

My Quilting Manifesto

Old 02-28-2015, 07:59 AM
Power Poster

First, let me say that without you telling us, I knew you were an engineer. I'm married to a computer engineer and engineers have a unique way of looking at things. I do, however, agree with not taking free fabric. I inherited my sister's stash when she passed away, so I kept what I thought I would use, then passed it on to a friend, who then passed on what she wouldn't use to a group that made charity quilts for children in local hospitals, spreading the wealth so to speak. I also agree with your last 3 bullet items, especially making shoddy quilts for charity, they deserve our best efforts. I still have a big stash, even though I gave away about 50% when we down sized to an apt.. I made a full size applique/pieced quilt for our DGD and used only fabrics from my stash. Now I try to buy for particular projects, and especially fabrics for backings and backgrounds, as I've used up the majority of my stash. I will say that every so often, I like to pull out a tote, presumably to edit my fabric, but it's nice to just look at it again and lots of times remember why I bought it. What can I say, I'm a fabricaholic.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:00 AM

Loved your post. I look at things very similarly.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:50 AM

Thank you for sharing your manifesto. I inherited my moms sewing things after sister had sold a lot and it is still overwhelming so this summer I will be adopting your manifesto to put order into things and gain control over my life as well as my studio. Thank you again for sharing.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:00 AM

Since I began making my own clothes eons ago, I've tended to buy fabric I fell in love with, not yet knowing what I would do with it. So, it's no surprise that when I took up quiltmaking a few years ago, and first heard the word "stash" that I began buying quilting fabric (cotton) that I couldn't resist, not yet knowing what it would be used for. But I've now stopped that. Space is one reason; I just don't have room. Another is time. I don't want to leave a hoard of fabric that will some day end up in a cardboard box at an estate sale. (The idea of an estate sale of things I loved is depressing enough).

So I've put a moratorium on fabric buying and now buy only if I need something for a current project....well, except for the yard of dragon fabric and coordinating prints I bought last week.... But, seriously, I'm working my way through what I have and will not again build up a big stash, for the reasons I've mentioned. And also, I've realized I don't like the "urgency" or pressure of that waiting fabric.

I do, however, still believe in having on hand a supply of certain neutrals: white, black, some beige or tan, red. As for the rest, I've decided the fabric stores can store my stash until I need it.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

Great post. Wish my small room were as neat as yours. I know, only I can make my wish come true. But right now, I'm checking out the QB posts! LOL!
Old 02-28-2015, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Looks like you put a lot of time and effort into your thoughtful post, however, I didn't see the words "enjoy", "play", "create", "explore" or actually anything in that vein. Quilting is my hobby, not my business, so I see no need to apply business principles.
And even when quilting IS a business, very few of those manifesto points are beneficial to the innovative, daring, intuitive, artistic sensibilities of a great many of todays quilters. I'm glad they work for the OP, but they would surely suck all the joy out of quilting for me, and the very life out of my quilts as a result. Choose what works best for you, just be happy with the path you take.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:06 AM

Thank you for this lovely article, every word is true. I especially liked your words about charity quilts. I was part of a group (for one day) that made some quilts I would only give to my dogs. They were just pieces of fabric cut in yard squares with no design at all, mostly floral fabric. I am in the process of cleaning out my fabric, I finally got the message that Less is More. I have several places to send it and also our local Goodwill has told me they will sell my fabric. Almost all of the fabric I want to give away is fabric I got through thrift stores when I started quilting and had no stash. Now I know what I will make and what I will never make (Venus Flytrap for sure !). Thanks again.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:28 AM

thank you it was very helpful, I don't think it will affect my stash much, but I will keep it in mind when I get older and I don't want my kids to cuss me when I am gone!
Old 02-28-2015, 09:48 AM

I am enjoying this thread but I want to clarify something. Just because I agree with the original post and want to manage all my quilty stuff better doesn't mean I don't have joy and creativity in my quilting. I know of adults who have had to deal with their parents estates and I don't want mine to be one of those nightmare situations .... I think of this thread as ideas not an either you are organized and lifeless or creative and devil may care. Years ago on Stashbuster's yahoo group someone wrote "what good is having the perfect purple fabric if you can't find it when you need it?"

Each of us is an individual. Maybe I am more conscious of what I leave behind because I have had cancer. I am single. My siblings live 1500 miles from me. My DIL is 500 miles away. My ex brother in law collapsed in a store with a stroke at 64. He had to take immediate retirement and go into a nursing home for 5 weeks rehab. He is doing better but will have limited mobility when he returns home. I am not trying to be SusySourPuss, but I have always been independent so these are things that I am concerned about. I look ahead and don't want my stuff to be a disorganized gargantuan burden. To me it is the same as I want a file with pertinent insurance information together and handy in case one of my love ones needs to come and help me with something so now I am thinking the same with my stash....
Old 02-28-2015, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Pagzz View Post
Just because I agree with the original post and want to manage all my quilty stuff better doesn't mean I don't have joy and creativity in my quilting.
It's funny that you point this out, as I was having the urge to clarify, that just because I don't require a business-like approach to my quilting doesn't mean I have a messy sewing room full of cheap, ugly fabric and don't know which end is up.

There's no need for any of us to be defensive. We all thrive under different conditions.