Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My Quilting Pain helpers.....

Blog Entries
    You can make the neck bags as well. Just google to find the pattern. Remember to add extra for the seam allowance. The one I found on line a while back was too small so I added extra for the seam allowance. Fit like a glove.

Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    I love these little cuties, they fit under my elbow and on my shoulder. Filled with rice and easy to make. Last night, I had enough so warmed these rascals up and placed them on my shoulder and elbow. Felt soooooo good. Just need to figure out one to go around my neck like a sleeping pillow . Does anyone else use these. They stayed warm a while too, surprised me.
    I need one of those quilting things that we wear and it has a
    "weighted" bag for our posture. I tend to bend while I sew . Looking forward to more ideas on what we can us to sew longer with less stiffness and aches and pains.
    These are just adorable. And the rice stays nice and warm on those aching muscles, I'm sure.
    Blessings,
    Angela

My friend has one shaped like a cat but she complains that it is too small so I have to make a longer one for her. The body is a rectangle, made with a couple of prints. Small rectangles are the four paws and tail. The head is a circle,stuffed and sewn on,with added ears and embroidered features. I plan to use rice in the body. I was wondering how to avoid a fire in the microwave and a removable rice sack sounds like a good idea!

I have used these forever it seems. Now my chiropractor says do not use heat.........use ice. But, the heat feels soooo good!

Wow, thanks ladies! I made long rice bags to place on the quilt top when I have "extra" fabric that needs quilting out, but I had NO IDEA I could heat it and use it for sore muscles! My husband has neck problems and I am going to make him one TODAY! Thank you so very much!
    Michelle G.
    El Paso, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Nolee
    When you have any aches or pains, I KNOW it feels so great with heat, but the advice from all doctors is ICE. Should we make pretty ICE bags? Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr, but it works!!!!
    The cold part is essential as that cools down and reduces the inflammation, which causes the pain, the heat after is your treat to having the cold part :twisted:

BTW a few of the well know quilters, in their books, often say taking a glass of wine before starting to FMQ as it relaxes you, but I do suggest you limit you intake to a moderate level [img]http://bestsmileys.com/drinking/4.gif[/img]

Hey, If you get directions for a posture pillow, please let me know. My posture is gettin really bad, can't stop this quilting urge. Really need something to help straighten me back up. :lol:

I also make what I call warmie bags. I use them a lot in the winter. I toss a couple of them in the bottom of me bed to warm the sheets before I get in. I like to make them for elderly people who seem to be very cold in the winter. I use deer corn to fill the bags. It doesn't pop and holds the heat for a long time.

I use the rice bags all the time. Heat one for my neck and also lower back as have had so many injuries in those areas they are the first to suffer with the cold. I keep one in my freezer in a freezer bag for injuries. They are the best invented things since sliced bread. :)

OK guys,I need to know is it just plain dry rice?My DH has fibromyalgia would these be good for him?

Love the rice bags! I don't understand what the weighted thing for our posture is. Could someone explain this please. My posture is awful when I am sewing, I could sure use something to help. I have never heard of this. I just wait till I hurt and use the rice bags but if there is a way to avoid hurting in the first place I would love to know about it.
    Thanks

Beauty Control representives sell a U shape bag for this purpose for the neck. Just google Beauty Control

I've made hundred and sold at craft sales. Since I'm not doing it any long I'll tell you my secret. Like yours, I use rice but I also line mine with WnN and that keeps it warm even longer and cold longer too. Since these can't be put in the washing machine ( imagine the look of the machine....... ) I also made a little "pillow case" to go over it and that can be thrown into the wash. Very popular and even though I haven't done any sale for a year, people still call to have me make more.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Wow - so many great ideas. ANd I do know about the ice too. I have a regular ice bag like the old fashioned ones we get at the pharmacy. It definitely helps with the inflammation. The the heat. I also freeze mine. I made small pillowcases like the ones for the traveling size, and I keep those blue ice packs in the freezer, and put them in a pillow case and use them too. Last night arouns 4am I was on the couch with ice bags on my elbows and knees and heat pillows everywhere else.....DH comes in and asks if I can't make up my mind which I want. ROFL. Love all the comments and sharing. WIll keep watching.
    And the Back for posture is sold in LQS and Joann's. You wear it like a "back pack" basically but the pack is on the center of the middle back and it is weighted so you tend to sit straight. May just buy one with a coupon. Everyone wears them at retreats so they must be good. Maybe someone can find a picture and post it on here. Thank you.

Blog Entries
    When I asked the nursing home if they could use lap quilts, I was told they really needed more rice bags (they do the filling) and walker bags. Guess that will be my next project for a while. Have odds and ends of older material that I can use. Am tired of seeing some of it still in the drawers. The pattern has lost it's appeal. Does that happen to you?

I have one, it's filled with corn. My neighbor made it for me, I can put it in the micro and warm it if I want a hot pack. Really nice to have

Do a tutorial, would love to make for my aunt

Blog Entries
    I have them, and use them for sinus pain, it really helps.

Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    I love these little cuties, they fit under my elbow and on my shoulder. Filled with rice and easy to make. Last night, I had enough so warmed these rascals up and placed them on my shoulder and elbow. Felt soooooo good. Just need to figure out one to go around my neck like a sleeping pillow . Does anyone else use these. They stayed warm a while too, surprised me.
    I need one of those quilting things that we wear and it has a
    "weighted" bag for our posture. I tend to bend while I sew . Looking forward to more ideas on what we can us to sew longer with less stiffness and aches and pains.
    How about making one like the pillows you use for travel (in a u shape) I think I saw a pattern out there somewhere. I will try and find it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EagarBeez
    I have one, it's filled with corn. My neighbor made it for me, I can put it in the micro and warm it if I want a hot pack. Really nice to have
    Aren't you afraid of the corn popping or smelling when the starch in them eventually scroches?

What kind of rice do you use. Just regular cooking rice? I think I need to make 100 of these!!!

Blog Entries
    I am new at this and tried to send pictires of a bandana made into a pain relief for shoulders. Just fold one corner of bandana down, fold again to make about 4" pocket. Sew all but one end. Fill with 1/2 C. rice, sew across, fill second section with 1/2 C. rice, sew across and finish third section with rice. Close end. Attach ties about 8 inches long (any material scraps). Microwave 1 minute and tie across shoulders and back of neck. This spells relief!!

Blog Entries
    I just used white rice. It smells a little and thought of adding a scent. I have mine on now and it is Wonderful.

Blog Entries
    Just plain white rice. You could also put these in the freezer for the cold treatment

Long before I learned to quilt I decided to make 50 warmers very quickly for gifts. I found knee high athletic white socks for $1.00 a pair. Went to feed store to purchase large bag of deer corn. One lady used funnel to put the corn in the sock, while another person sewed across the top of the sock. Took 25 pair to make 50.
    Later when making prettier warmers I used a decorative pair of socks. One as described above & pulled the other sock over the stitched end, tied with a pretty ribbon. The outer cover then was easy to throw into the wash to keep a clean fresh look!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast