Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My quilts aren't warm >

My quilts aren't warm

My quilts aren't warm

Old 01-05-2014, 12:24 PM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

lildinks, I agree, use it up! It is predicted to have temps of minus 22 and wind chills could be minus 50 this week. NE ohio has not seen those temps in over 40 years. I am sewing up a few fleece blankets and insisting my kiddos sleep upstairs next week. putting down puppy pads and newspaper for the dogs-not making them go outside at those temps. all are under 30 lbs. 2 are 7lb yorkies. brought the 2 outside cats into the garage with straw enclosed beds, litter box etc. I agree the wool batting is warm if you can afford it. And the add fleece and flannel are great ideas. Now to get sewing before the power goes out. stay warm folks!
Old 01-05-2014, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom View Post
I just pull up a dog.
I like your thinking!
Old 01-05-2014, 03:54 PM

I have always felt like fleece gives you an "instant" feeling of warmth and security and love it! :-)

Marysewfun
Old 01-05-2014, 04:19 PM

For this bitter cold weather, We love our Flannel quilts with warm and natural batting, Pretty snuggly
Old 01-05-2014, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom View Post
I just pull up a dog.
Love this!! hahahahaah
Old 01-05-2014, 05:16 PM

I have discovered that we are very comfortable with one light weight polyester thermal blanket under one cotton quilt with warm and natural batting. This is for the coldest weather we encounter in Michigan's beautiful Upper Peninsula.

Mother crocheted us 100 % wool afghans some 60 years ago and they were our prized possessions summer and
winter. We've inherited a red Hudson Bay wool blanket large enough for a double bed. Since my favorite fiber is wool, I have also made single layer lap robes out of pleated Pendleton skirts. Adding satin binding to the edges of a length of wool coating or washable wool also makes a nice blanket.

Years ago, using an acrylic thermal blanket was common for the "wadding or batting" in a tied comforter. The fabric covered the economical blanket which was prone to pill and attract lint.

I think every school district in the U.P. has cancelled classes for Monday, 6 January. Stay warm!
Old 01-05-2014, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cagey View Post
Its below zero in Wisconsin and we're all bundled up next to the fire trying to keep warm. I'm noticing that my quilts are not very warm. I've tried warm and natural, and blend of cotton and poly. Seems like everyone is exchanging the quilts for fleece blankets. Any suggestions?
I just finished a quilt with Dream wool batting and it seemed very warm while I was working on it; however it isn't for me so I did not get chance to sleep under it. It is light and easy to needle tho. I know when I get chilled I go get my thick fleecy bathrobe and cover myself in chair; toasty! Good luck at finding the right solution!
Old 01-05-2014, 07:03 PM

Air provides the insulation; puffy = warm. If your bedding doesn't provide enough insulation, layering will help by trapping more air. And a nightcap. Out-of-doors, though you are clothed warmly, going hatless lets the heat be sucked out of your body. Old timers didn't wear nightcaps to look quaint but to keep cozy in frigid rooms.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:23 PM

Default My quilts aren't warm

Originally Posted by Cagey View Post
Its below zero in Wisconsin and we're all bundled up next to the fire trying to keep warm. I'm noticing that my quilts are not very warm. I've tried warm and natural, and blend of cotton and poly. Seems like everyone is exchanging the quilts for fleece blankets. Any suggestions?
I was trying to reply to you when I add this picture in the wrong area. We don't have that much cold weather in the lower part of Florida, But I bought this material at Joann's and it works great for me. It is a faux fur and much warmer if you use it with the fur against you.
Attached Thumbnails fake-fur.jpg  
Old 01-05-2014, 07:26 PM

if possible use a wool batting? or bamboo?