Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My SBS quilt is done! Now I need advice on the crochet lace on the border! >

My SBS quilt is done! Now I need advice on the crochet lace on the border!

My SBS quilt is done! Now I need advice on the crochet lace on the border!

Old 11-05-2016, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Janan View Post
Bree, I have some Tide Free. I have a front loading washing machine. It would be ok to wash the quilt in the machine on the gentle cycle?
I haven't ever done so myself, but we have many members who have. The downside of the fast tumbling action should be roughly offset by the upsides of no agitation & less detergent. Just go with whatever is the lowest, slowest wash cycle your machine has. I'd recommend adding a Color Catcher due to the vintage embroidery. Sometimes that can bleed in the wash (regardless of machine type). The only thing I'm not sure about is how much it will crinkle. It's the wetting/de-wetting process that causes the cotton fibers to crinkle and I haven't studied how much water is required to achieve that look. I know some members have written that their HE machine has a Soaking cycle so if it doesn't crinkle the first time through the wash/dry, you could either try that or simply soaking for 30 minutes in the bathtub in cold water, roll out as much water as possible & then dry as usual.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:15 AM

What a lovely story for this quilt. A real treasure! I concur with the idea that hand quilting is in order for the finishing of a vintage piece and how neat that the crosshatching is already there. What a coincidence. I have no experience with front loading washing machines but I use my top loader instead of the bathtub. Can fill and stop it, push the quilt around just as in a tub but then it's a lot easier to drain and let the machine spin out the extra water. I would guess that crocheted lace is going to pull up so would be better to launder separately and then hand stitch it. Because of the significance and age of the quilt, surely it will be protected and not need frequent laundering--if ever.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:48 AM

I would machine sew it at the top edge and right along the edge above the scallops. Use a walking foot. That way the crocheted lace would have stable support.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:08 AM

Such a lovely treasure and you are to be commended for your caring and careful handling of it. I would agree with others that any quilting you add should be done by hand rather than machine. That probably applies to the lace application also. I like your idea to embroider the story. And, I agree, that the intended recipient needs to be older in order to appreciate this lovely work. I love your story. It must have brought great and loving comfort to her family and friends.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:06 AM

I hand washed the Sues and the lace with a color catcher before I began the quilt. Because I really want the crinkled look, I think I will soak it in the tub like Bree suggested. Since I pre-washed, can I leave the lace on the quilt and soak it? That way I can begin the process of anchoring the lace. It will also give me an idea of how it washes together.

I can't tell you enough how much I appreciate all of your comments.
Old 11-06-2016, 06:57 AM

That is such a lovely quilt and I like the idea of sewing down the lace. As for advice for the recipient, no pets on the quilt.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:09 AM

Thank you for sharing this wonderful story. The quilt is so beautiful! I have nothing new to add to the excellent advice. I agree that it would be best to secure the lace and do the quilting by hand. I think having the lace secure enough for washing is a better option than making the lace removable.
Old 11-06-2016, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

What a wonderful heirloom to pass on. None of the quilts my mother made survived 7 kids, and I am the "baby", although at 70 years old (or young, depending on what my day is like) so the only thing I have of my mother's are 2 pillowcases which she had embroidered. She gave me my first embroidery lesson when I was 6, and I have no idea where it went, given all the moves I have made; but I cherish those pillowcases. Unfortunately, she passed away 2 weeks after my DH returned from his tour in Viet Nam and my youngest brother had gotten married, I like to think she hung on until the two youngest were "taken care of". Anyway, long story short, about 25 years ago the family decided to have bi-annual family reunions, and 2 years after the first one in OH, we hosted the reunion. Previously my SIL had asked that each family pick a color to wear at the reunion so that our long lost uncle, my mom's youngest brother, was coming; and she thought it would make it easier if he could identify who belonged to whom. So in my infinite "wisdom" i decided to make a reunion quilt, with family members sending their "color" in fabric and I would make a quilt to be raffled off. I chose the album block and my oldest brother won it. I was not really into scrappy quilts then, but i somehow managed to make a really nice quilt, with the family colors: black, red, blue, teal, orange, purple and green, with one block for every family - that was my challenge. It was so well received that I have been doing it ever since, so a year or so before the reunion I get messages regarding "the color" of the next quilt. After so many, 12 or 13, I'm not sure, as my memory isn't what it used to be, quilts, I've decided to just go into my box of scraps from the previous quilts and make a true scrappy quilt. I could use some good ideas, if anyone would care to give me suggestions. Maybe next year I'll be able to win a quilt, or at least my son or daughter, but we'll see. Treasure that quilt always, it is a wonderful memory.
Old 11-06-2016, 04:36 PM

Marge, I loved your story! Our family is so big that we all wear different colored t-shirts according to who belongs to who. I only started quilting a year ago and at 65 years old, I won't be able to catch up with you! I've managed to make a quilt for 3 of my 4 grandchildren and am working on the 4th now. My daughter is about to marry a man with 2 children, so I will get to make two more. They have all been special in their own way. I fall in love with them like they are my own children. lol
Old 11-07-2016, 05:11 AM

If you use buttons to put on the lace, even if you put a button every inch, it would still be loose in all those spots and fingers and other things could get caught.
I would sew it down someway, either hand or machine quilting.
That is a very beautiful quilt, and it has a great story to tell.