Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My sewing machine is history! >

My sewing machine is history!

My sewing machine is history!

Old 11-24-2010, 07:36 PM

Before you buy, I suggest you make a list of all the features you want in the machine (ie auto thread cutter, knee lift, certain stitches, etc) and try to narrow your choice to machines with those "must have" features. I love my Brother Star 230E machine, but the one feature I wanted (and assumed it had) was a blanket stitch, and it doesn't. Now, I am buying another Brother that has those features. Depending on your skill level and what type of sewing you do, you might also consider getting a machine that you will "grow into" if you can afford it. Just a suggestion
Old 11-24-2010, 07:49 PM

Just another idea....I understand that the machines at Sears are made by Janome, but they are less money.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Vanuatu Jill
Originally Posted by kathome
I have a Brother PC420 Project Runway and it is the most wonderful machine I've ever had. Check it out on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Brother-PC-420...roject-Machine
Glad to hear you love this-I think it is the one I am getting! I have a Brother Star 230 E now, which I bought from Australia when I was living over-seas and I love it, but have to use it on a transformer (we are 110 elect-they are 220). A couple of features I really want in a new machine is the knee lift, auto thread cutter, and a machine blanket stitch. I know it has a knee lift and auto thread cutter, but does it have a blanket stitch?
I'm happy to hear that you think you might decide to purchase this machine. I read ALL the reviews I could find before I bought and the only negative was the light. I agree that the light could be improved but I have pretty good lighting in the room anyway.

My favorites:

Auto needle threader (my old eyes have real trouble seeing that tiny little hole) The auto needle threader works the first time and every time.
Auto Thread cutting - ditto above
Knee Lifter - boy does THIS ever come in handy
Variable speed - can go painfully slow or really fast
Push button control - use instead of the foot pedal. I've used it for decorative stitching.
The bobbin winder winds a nice smooth bobbin and stops when the bobbin is full. (if you want a full bobbin)
Easy Peasy upper threading
Easy Peasy drop in bobbin
Comes with a walking foot and quilting foot and a host of others
Also twin needle

It sews nice, even stitches and I've never had a jam, broken needle or tension problems. I really can't think of anything I don't just love about this machine (except the above mentioned lighting). I got mine from Amazon at $449 and just checked the price and it's the same. No shipping charges.

As far as the blanket stitch, I BELIEVE they are calling it an applique stitch but it sure looks like a blanket stitch to me. _l_l_l_l_l_ Just confirm that before you buy if it's that important to you.

Good luck and happy sewing!
Old 11-24-2010, 08:48 PM
Banned

Okay here I am with my two cents worth.......keep the vintage machine and use the one you have. What kind of machine is it and what is it doing? If you want PM me and I will give you my number and I can walk you through what ever it may be messing up.

Honestly though if you want to buy a machine and you want one that can do everything you should look at my 500A I have for sale for $100. I will put that machine up against any new machine on the market today (I am talking about the $3000+ machines) and if you know how to use it it will hang with it and will out last the new one any time! It is mint and I will give you the link to the Black Friday Sale I have going on.

But I bet I can talk you through the repair of yours and it will be good as new and wont cost you a dime!

Billy
Old 11-24-2010, 08:48 PM
Banned

Okay here I am with my two cents worth.......keep the vintage machine and use the one you have. What kind of machine is it and what is it doing? If you want PM me and I will give you my number and I can walk you through how to fix what ever may be messing up.

Honestly though if you want to buy a machine and you want one that can do everything you should look at my 500A I have for sale for $100. I will put that machine up against any new machine on the market today (I am talking about the $3000+ machines) and if you know how to use it it will hang with it and will out last the new one any time! It is mint and I will give you the link to the Black Friday Sale I have going on.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-78518-1.htm

But I bet I can talk you through the repair of yours and it will be good as new and wont cost you a dime!

Billy
Old 11-24-2010, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Deborah12687
I am just going to buy a cheap one just to get the sewing done that I need to finish. I will give it to my Grandaughter as she has been doing so well with the sewing. My husband is going to buy the Jenome for me......aaaaaaaaa can't wait till Christmas now!!!
I have 2 of the very reasonably priced walmart Brother CS6000i machines, and friends have them too. Bought mine 3 years ago, and still sewing strong. They do everything I want them to do, including travel splendidly, except embroider, and I use the very expensive hard to transport Bernina for that.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:51 PM

I think I agree with Billy on repairing the machine you have. It takes more than running over a pin to bend most things on a machine, except the needle. It could be the positional finger or the timing, which should not be major repairs.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:27 PM

I just bought the Singer Confidence Quilter at JoAnns last
week and am totally in love. It was on sale for $299 that
was $200 off regular price. I have an expensive but older
Viking computerized, a cheap Brother from Walmart (my least
favorite) and an expensive Embroidery machine that I haven't
learned to use (I bought it used. Just had my Viking and my
serger cleaned and fixed up by a great repairman we have in the area, was $80 total and he sharpened the blade on my serger, reset tensions and threaded it.
Old 11-25-2010, 04:11 AM

I purchased one of those Singers for my daughter a couple of years ago & I'm not impressed. My Janome dealer used to sell Singers & he told me they aren't what they used to be unless you can find an older one. My dealer has at least 50 used, reconditioned machines plus trade in's all the time, check with a reputable dealer first. You might make an excellent find - especially this time of the year. Good luck in your hunt
Old 11-25-2010, 04:59 AM

Go to Pattern review .com and check all reviews for what your interested in/ I recommend buying for m a dealer also.
Very pleased that if I have a problem, I have someone who
knows about this model to go to.