Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My stash has been justified! >

My stash has been justified!

My stash has been justified!

Old 09-27-2013, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

I too, love my stash. Though it does need a few "holes" filled, it helps me to be more creative in fabric choices. I have also better enjoyed scrappy quilts, and I really like samplers! I enjoy swapping blocks in the swaps here, and having quilty reminders of fellow QB friends as I look at the blocks in the quilt.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:49 AM

Oooh..I'm a newbie quilter and really look forward to growing my stash!! I love the inspiration I find every time I get on this board!!
Old 09-27-2013, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by AliKat View Post
One of my friends and I bought a quilt magazine for 10 cents ... She fell in love with one of the patterns in the magazine and made it strictly from her stash. She calls it her 10 cent quilt. She is now making her 4th one still using just her stash.
AliKat I am very curious about this 10 cent quilt. Can you please share with us the name of this pattern? May I ask what magazine it came from.

Thanks!
Colleen
Old 09-27-2013, 09:13 AM

Me too Debbie C: actually I think I'm in stash overload! I know some of you are going to say 'wahhh' give it to me, I have too many projects started [over 25+] on one side and fabric sorted by color on the other side of my double size closet hiding behind the doors.....well, not always hiding cause I can't get the doors closed sometimes.

Originally Posted by Debbie C View Post
I spend more time creating my stash, I think, than I do actually creatining FROM my stash!!
Old 09-27-2013, 10:36 AM

In all the years I've quilted, I only purchased all the fabric together once. Building a stash enables me to take advantage of sales prices. Fabric and a deal, doesn't get better than that.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:52 AM

I agree. I am going "shopping" in my stash for the BOM I joined this month. The LQS is running the Tula Pink City Sampler as a BOM, but your choice of fabrics. So I bought a couple of remnants, but am mainly pulling from my stash. I knew it would come in handy!
Old 09-27-2013, 10:54 AM

I had the same experience finishing up some pillow shams to match a quilt I just finished for my SIL and her new hubby.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by cmrenno View Post
AliKat I am very curious about this 10 cent quilt. Can you please share with us the name of this pattern? May I ask what magazine it came from.

Thanks!
Colleen
"10cents" is not a pattern. She called it her 10 cent quilt because she paid 10 cents for the book that had the pattern in it and made it with fabric from her stash.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by petpainter View Post
I am a fairly new quilter and although I have a few "kits" I have put together with the fabric and pattern, I don't have much stash at all. I take many classes at my Guild and they all say "just pull it from your stash, it won't cost anything". I only have probably what equals to 7 fat qtrs at this point, so I REALLY need to build mine...especially in batiks. I have a stash for garments still, but it's really a pain to have to buy 1/4 yd pieces to make strips for a simple project. Quilters never believe that someone doesn't have a "stash", but you have to start somewhere!!!
I wouldn't go out and buy expensive fabric just to enhance my stash. Buy from rummage sales if you like the fabric, from thrift stores or from fabric stores when they have really big sales. The only other reason I might buy something is if: I was really in love with it; it speaks to me; I've got the money now; I need a reward for ?????
Old 09-28-2013, 04:02 PM

I realized long ago that quilting was an art and that I needed to have a pallet from which to work. Does a painter buy paint? Then a quilter should buy fabric. It's an obligation.