Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it justified? >

Is it justified?

Is it justified?

Old 01-09-2010, 07:19 PM

I have been looking at the Tin Lizzie 18 closeout model that is on sale for $4995 (normally $6995). I so want to get a long arm because I don't even want to attempt to quilt a big quilt on my Viking Sapphire. I am having a hard time making a decision on whether the purchase is a smart move.

Pros
Will be able to quilt my own quilts.
I made 12 quilt tops in 2009 and at an average of $200 each to quilt (more or less) it would only take two years to pay for itself.
I have the money to buy it now
I was going to invest that money but I will be receiving a bonus at work and also likely a tax refund as usual and that would replace the purchase money.
It might not be on sale for long if I wait until the previous two things happen which might not be until April.

Cons
Just use my Sapphire, get the walking foot and try it.
I have never used a long arm... how do I know if I will like it or be good at it?
I'm saving everthing I can for retirement so how can I justify buying something I don't NEED. Or am I being penny wise and pound foolish?

I just don't know!

Has anyone bought one and was it a good thing or did you regret it?
Old 01-09-2010, 07:27 PM
Power Poster

What a great deal. If I had the money I would buy it. If you get good at quilting you could use it to make extra money too.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:38 PM

It does sound like a good deal. "Tin Lizzie 18 Long Arm Quilting Machine, Speed Control, Stitch Regulator, Built-in Bobbin Winder, Laser Light, Gooseneck Lamp & Adjustable Frame".

I have been working so hard to try and retire early in 9 more years and I have some vague ideas about supplementing my income. Not necessarily with quilting services but by doing my own quilts. If I get it now I will have years of experience by then rather than waiting.

I have a spare bedroom that it will fit in (several of them since I live alone in a 5-bedroom house) so space isn't an issue.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:55 PM

If I had the money avaliable right now it would be in my house. I'm going to save for a Grace Pinacle this year. It will pay for its self.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:05 PM

If you have the cash to spare buy it, just think of the use it will get when you do retire! :D
Old 01-09-2010, 08:07 PM

That's a great price for a great machine. I bought my Lizzie as a retirement present, second hand it cost almost that much. It's the best thing I could have done for myself. I quilt lots, I don't know how many in the 2 years since I bought her ( maybe 50). I am teaching my best friends to quilt and having a heck of a good time! I don't do any fancy, costume quilting, just side to side easy patterns and I'm happy with that. I say go for it!
Old 01-09-2010, 08:09 PM

If it's something you really want, then I'd say buy it. Because remember, money is just paper -- our days here in this world are too short to be filled with regrets at the end of them. This is probably something you will use even more when you actually have it than you think you will.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:17 PM

I think you will be very happy with it. My girlfriend got one and let everyone try it out to see how easy it was. I was the only one who refused, since I know I'd just end up drooling on her machine and then go home and cry over how badly I want one. No sense doing that to myself. All my friends ranted and raved about how wonderful it was and how easy to use. From their reactions, I think you'll be happy.

If you need a reason to justify the purchase there are a couple things you can do. Either you can make several charity quilts to give away every so often or once you learn how to use it you can quilt for others. You don't need to make a huge business out of it, but I bet you could do a quilt or two a month and then use that money to "repay" yourself for the purchase. Just a thought.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Power Poster

I agree with Eddie and the others. Life is too short. You have the resources to do it and it will be a useful long term investment so go for it. Tiffany also raises some good points, you may be able to make a small business out of it without too much effort, very handy when retired and on a bit of a budget.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:36 PM
JJs
Banned

no matter how much money you have - you can only spend it once (never mind that it can be taxed a gazillion times LOL)

go for it if a: you have the money, b: the money isn't needed for something else (you did say you'll be getting replacement money)

I have a Bailey 15" and even tho there was (was being the operative word - they closed) a very reasonably priced longarm quilter about an hour from here the number of quilts I want to made it quickly apparent that I would save a LOT of money by doing them myself...

You will really enjoy being able to say "I did the whole thing myself"