Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is it justified? >

Is it justified?

Is it justified?

Old 01-09-2010, 10:54 PM

Only 2 years to pay for itself? That is a bargain!!! If you don't buy it now, you'll spend another 2400 for quilting, and that's half the price of the TL. I'd buy it!!!
Old 01-09-2010, 11:35 PM

I test drove both the HQ and Tin Lizzie, and choose the HQ. I liked them both. Right now many companies are coming out with newer models and lowering prices. There are more companies on the market now, which means prices will continue to drop for some time, especially with the economy. There are many good used machines for sale very cheaply. I love mine, and have never regretted spending the money. It's given me many hours of sheer enjoyment.

To consider also: There is more to learn operating a LA than I ever imagined. There are additional expenses (thread is very expensive, Towa gauge, templates, pantos, marking tools, extra leaders, training tools - classes, DVD's, books, online training classes, etc.) Training is not as readily available as with DSM's and the beginner one offered by the dealer will not be enough. There are many online groups available for help also, which are all wonderful.

On the other hand, if you have NO savings, regardless of how bad you want one, that may be the most prudent choice. Machines are always available, used ones are even cheaper. Savings is something everyone needs in my opinion. Especially in this economy. Once that's met, then spend a little on yourself :)

It's a hard decision. Good luck!
Old 01-09-2010, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
I made 12 quilt tops in 2009 and at an average of $200 each to quilt (more or less) it would only take two years to pay for itself.
I see your dilemma. Here's another thought, if you don't buy Lizzy now, will you have the $2400.00 a year to have your quilts quilted when you retire? Since you have the money now and will pay it back by the money you will save and possibly make more $$$ by quilting for others, I think you should go for it.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:06 AM
Power Poster

I agree with everyone if you can swing it, make the plunge, life is way too short. My mother had alot of things she wanted to do and unfortunately she never got the opportunity (lost her battle with cancer at 54) so I live my life a little differently now, not frivilous just enjoying everything I can
Old 01-10-2010, 05:15 AM

Personally speaking, if I were spending $200+/- per quilt that I made, and I had the room to have the long arm, I would do it. As far as "how do you know if you'll like it", and "how do you know you'll be any good at it", you won't know until you try, but I think you would love it. I just wish I had the money and the space for one. Oh well, hopefully soon. Good luck and please keep us informed.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:26 AM

Pleasr allow me to add to this commentary.

I began quilting after age 65! I had been a dressmaker many years. Then I wanted to change my focus. I did not like putting my quilts together and found someone to long arm quilt them for me.

Then, at age 73, after a lot of frustration, I began a search for a way to finish my quilts myself. I joined a number of forums to learn how other women finished their quilts and with what equipment.

I learned about the Bailey (mid arm) Home Quilters. It became apparent I did not want a 9" arm machine because of the limited quilting area. I purchases the 13" and have been very ahppy with it. I belong to Debbe's group - and while many of those gals have moved on up tothe 15" and 17" Bailey makes, I have not been dissatisfied with my purhcase.

All the features you named can be added to a Bailey 17". It is a simple machine, fashioned after the old straight stitch Singer of years ago. It is a work horse.

Grace makes all kinds of frames and I chose the GMQ Pro frame that will do a King size quilt. However, I have it set at 104" simply because it fits my space and handling the King quilts is getting to be diffiuclt for me, but when I sell my quilting equipment, I will be able to offer the large frame to someone who wants the big one.

Check out Bailey's site. Chuck Bailey is the best of the best when it comes to service after the sale. he will talk/walk you through any problems you may encounter on your road to learning how to use a quilting machine. Make a price comparison - and ask the girls in this group....how happy are they with their Bailey. I for one would not trade it for any other. This past year I pieced and quilted 42 quilts for charities. At 75 I am on a roll.

http://www.baileyssewingcenter.com/homequilter.html

Bailey 13"/GMQ Pro frame
"and loving it "
Old 01-10-2010, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
What a great deal. If I had the money I would buy it. If you get good at quilting you could use it to make extra money too.
I am thinking the same thing.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:53 AM

I'm with everyone else - go for it. I didn't buy a longarm, but I worried it to death over an embroidery/quilt machine. I finally got and I am glad I did. I have used it and used it.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:49 AM

I say go for it. I bought mine in Aug. and really like it. I also bought the shirley stitcher II to go with it and love it.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:55 AM

Question about the Shirley Stitcher. I have read all over and it always says that it goes on the Tin Lizzie 18LS. I am not looking at the LS as it is $2k more. I only read one place where it said the Shirley Stitcher would go on a Tin Lizzie 18 with a ribbon cable. I know what a ribbon cable is (I used to work on PCs), but I haven't found anything written about it being on the 18.