Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: my sympathies for Canadian quilters.

Quote Originally Posted by Snappy
    Hi,
    I live in Calgary as well and find the prices here very high at the LQS. What online shops have you found that you like and have had success getting here at cheaper prices? Thanks
    My husband and I have gone to Calgary a couple of times to see concerts .. we stayed at the Palliser as my brother worked there, however he's now here in Vancouver ..

I know a lot of friends have ordered from fabric.com and have had very good luck, also Connecting Threads.

Toby

I just got told we are going to Joann's tomorrow..Woohoo!

Has anyone purchased fabric from Fabricdepot.com?

Quote Originally Posted by Snappy
    Has anyone purchased fabric from Fabricdepot.com?
    A few of my friends have and found them great.

Toby

That's good to know because they have some nice looking fabric and really good prices even with the exchange and shipping.

I live in Medicine Hat , Alberta I think the closest larger city state side is Great Falls Montanna. Are there any good stores for quilting fabric etc in that city?

There is a Walmart about 50 miles from BC in the Washington. I visit that Walmart and there are always Canadian cars in the parking lot. Some border US town businesses fly the Stars & Stripes and the Red Maple. Even the local quilt shop always has Canadian customers who love her fabrics. I am used to seeing the Maple flag up on the Supermarket I would really miss it if it weren't there next to Old Glory. They are like sisters.

Quote Originally Posted by adrianlee
    There is a Walmart about 50 miles from BC in the Washington. I visit that Walmart and there are always Canadian cars in the parking lot. Some border US town businesses fly the Stars & Stripes and the Red Maple. Even the local quilt shop always has Canadian customers who love her fabrics. I am used to seeing the Maple flag up on the Supermarket I would really miss it if it weren't there next to Old Glory. They are like sisters.
    What a nice thought. our nations have been "sisters" since the War of 1812 and before that too but all families have spats!
    The difference in fabrid prices just doesnot make sense. I wonder what the justification is? Perhaps some outmotted protectionism?
    It is stupid as it just means that Canadian fabric shops are losing sales.

I ordered bfrom Connecting Threads and I think if you order over $50 you only pay $7 shipping and handling. Depending on the Canadian Dollar you can get a real deal

Quote Originally Posted by MrsColumbo
    I dont even bother ... by the time we pay the conversion (if there is any) and the tax, plus duty (depending on how THEY choose to send it), it doesn't save that much ... if I could go across to WA state and buy it, I probably would.

Toby
    I live in BC as well, and I have NEVER paid duty or taxes on quilting fabric from the US yet. I bought from places like Whittles (where I got thimbleberries for $4 a yard US-after shipping and exchange it was around $5 or so(bought 9 yards at a time to make the most of shipping), ebay (got moda kota batiks for $5.32US a yard, and again got 9 yards to make the most of shipping which was $11), Etsy and Fabric Depot, Over the Rainbow, Connecting Threads etc etc. I average about $6-8 a yard CDN after shipping and exchange. And like I said, have never been charged duties or tax on fabric yet. I always get it sent USPS, never any other way, but I haven't really seen a seller that sent it any other way to begin with. The last time I bought fabric in BC it cost me $80 with the taxes for 5 metres. I buy 99% of my fabric from the states. You should really try it, it will save you a ton of money! (just got another ebay fabric order today, all Modas and cost me $59CDN for 9 yards after shipping and exchange (again, no duties or taxes were charged))

Quote Originally Posted by bearspaws
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsColumbo
    I dont even bother ... by the time we pay the conversion (if there is any) and the tax, plus duty (depending on how THEY choose to send it), it doesn't save that much ... if I could go across to WA state and buy it, I probably would.

Toby
    I live in BC as well, and I have NEVER paid duty or taxes on quilting fabric from the US yet. I bought from places like Whittles (where I got thimbleberries for $4 a yard US-after shipping and exchange it was around $5 or so(bought 9 yards at a time to make the most of shipping), ebay (got moda kota batiks for $5.32US a yard, and again got 9 yards to make the most of shipping which was $11), Etsy and Fabric Depot, Over the Rainbow, Connecting Threads etc etc. I average about $6-8 a yard CDN after shipping and exchange. And like I said, have never been charged duties or tax on fabric yet. I always get it sent USPS, never any other way, but I haven't really seen a seller that sent it any other way to begin with. The last time I bought fabric in BC it cost me $80 with the taxes for 5 metres. I buy 99% of my fabric from the states. You should really try it, it will save you a ton of money! (just got another ebay fabric order today, all Modas and cost me $59CDN for 9 yards after shipping and exchange (again, no duties or taxes were charged))

As I mentioned, I probably would order from the US if I used cotton but for me to buy the heavy tapestry that I use just isn't feasible .. plus I can't see the quality or feel it and if I get it, it isn't the quality I want, I have to pay to send it back.

Toby

Oops Toby, now I read all the replies and saw that you said you don't buy cotton, just tapestry stuff. Have you tried Hancock's of Paducah? they have tapestry and home dec stuff but don't know about the prices etc.

As I mentioned, I probably would order from the US if I used cotton but for me to buy the heavy tapestry that I use just isn't feasible .. plus I can't see the quality or feel it and if I get it, it isn't the quality I want, I have to pay to send it back.

Toby[/quote]

I guess we were replying at the same time..sorry LOL

There are two LQS in Bellingham, plus Fabrics, Etc. There is a JoAnns, also. In Lynden there are a couple of LQS as well. It would be worth a trip across the border. (I am partial to Bellingham, Wa as my BF lives there and I visit often.

Quote Originally Posted by gzuslivz
    There are two LQS in Bellingham, plus Fabrics, Etc. There is a JoAnns, also. In Lynden there are a couple of LQS as well. It would be worth a trip across the border. (I am partial to Bellingham, Wa as my BF lives there and I visit often.
    Unfortunately I am unable to go to the US.

Toby

Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    A couple of years ago I ran into a quilter in Urbana, Il. that was purchasing a HUGE amount of fabric from one of our LQS's. She said that she was here visiting a friend. She was from Australia. She said that her friend was allowing her to leave all her clothes here so that she could fill her big suitcases with fabric to take home. She also told me that the following year she was going to come back with empty suitcases to refill with fabric. She said, "Since my clothes will already be here. . . . ." So, my suggestion to all you Canadian quilters is to make friends with someone on this side of the border, keep some clothes here and come on over once in a while with an empty car to fill.
    lolol wanna b THIS Canadian's friend??

lolol wanna b THIS Canadian's friend??[/quote]

Halifax ..... I'm from there ... am stopping over there mid month when I go east ... LOVE Halifax. :)

Toby

Blog Entries
    What is the tax in BC? I visit across the border often to buy fabric and also buy online. I feel bad about not supporting our two LQS on a bigger scale but with the Ontario tax at 13% and higher prices it all adds up to a bigger expense. I can buy the same fabric at a QS in the US for a huge savings! LOL!! - then I can buy more :)

Quote Originally Posted by costumegirl
    What is the tax in BC? I visit across the border often to buy fabric and also buy online. I feel bad about not supporting our two LQS on a bigger scale but with the Ontario tax at 13% and higher prices it all adds up to a bigger expense. I can buy the same fabric at a QS in the US for a huge savings! LOL!! - then I can buy more :)
    Right now it's 5% GST and 7%PST but the gov't is trying to harmonize them, so we'll pay 12% on everything, including things that we only paid the GST on before, like hydro and gas bills. But I hear the same thing is going on in Ontario too. It's not good LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsdralshhadeh
    I am saddened by this as well,, I live in Puerto Rico,, and there are virtually NO fabric shops ehre. Unless you going to make curtains,,lol... So,,I have to start shopping online,,m ymommy (who live sin W.Pa) send me care packages every now and again,,, but I feel the pain with you Canada,,,, :cry:
    I was in Puerto Rico last year teaching at the (Faria)? It was sort of a craft fair and I was teaching painting. I did ask one of the ladies if we could go to a fabric shops etc and I was surprised to hear there were none. I was all in the mood to get some different fabric...oh gosh, we are so lucky here in the USA.

I am also a Canadian but live in Northern Canada where the nearest quilt shop is 3 hr drive away and the nearest Walmarts are either a 8 or 14 hour drive away. I do alot of on-line shopping from the US or when we do a trip to Alberta. Average price per yard at the Quilt Shops is about $18/meter and about $8/meter at Walmart.

Blog Entries
    Just came back from our local Walmart and they have very little fabric left. I know they were cutting back on the dept. What they do have is mostly really poor quality and not worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by costumegirl
    Just came back from our local Walmart and they have very little fabric left. I know they were cutting back on the dept. What they do have is mostly really poor quality and not worth the money.
    That is just like our Wal Marts .. I never did buy fabric there as it was as you say, very poor quality, but they were the only place that sold the real Pellon ... I'd go for thread and patterns usually ... apparently the new Wal Marts don't even have a fabric section .. what's the world coming to.

Toby

Hello, do not be since they are the soils in the USA here in Spain also are very low, I receive 1000 Euros a month and if I was not for the pension of my husband, I might have good quality of life. So much it is so I buy the fabrics in the USA since there the most expensive for Amy Butler of 9,50 dollars to the change in Euros it compensates so here this fabric sells of 17 Euros, which to the change it would be at least 20 dollars.
    Entendeis for which I buy there? Though he pays 25 dollars of freightages, it compensates me.

Regards

Carmen
    Spain

It is hard down here too! LQS sells stuff at $20 - $26 per metre. I do mail order with others and we share the cost.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3