Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
my sympathies for Canadian quilters. >

my sympathies for Canadian quilters.

my sympathies for Canadian quilters.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Snappy
Hi,
I live in Calgary as well and find the prices here very high at the LQS. What online shops have you found that you like and have had success getting here at cheaper prices? Thanks
My husband and I have gone to Calgary a couple of times to see concerts .. we stayed at the Palliser as my brother worked there, however he's now here in Vancouver ..

I know a lot of friends have ordered from fabric.com and have had very good luck, also Connecting Threads.

Toby
Old 06-04-2010, 10:41 AM

I just got told we are going to Joann's tomorrow..Woohoo!
Old 06-04-2010, 10:47 AM

Has anyone purchased fabric from Fabricdepot.com?
Old 06-04-2010, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Snappy
Has anyone purchased fabric from Fabricdepot.com?
A few of my friends have and found them great.

Toby
Old 06-04-2010, 11:07 AM

That's good to know because they have some nice looking fabric and really good prices even with the exchange and shipping.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:41 AM

I live in Medicine Hat , Alberta I think the closest larger city state side is Great Falls Montanna. Are there any good stores for quilting fabric etc in that city?
Old 06-04-2010, 03:26 PM

There is a Walmart about 50 miles from BC in the Washington. I visit that Walmart and there are always Canadian cars in the parking lot. Some border US town businesses fly the Stars & Stripes and the Red Maple. Even the local quilt shop always has Canadian customers who love her fabrics. I am used to seeing the Maple flag up on the Supermarket I would really miss it if it weren't there next to Old Glory. They are like sisters.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by adrianlee
There is a Walmart about 50 miles from BC in the Washington. I visit that Walmart and there are always Canadian cars in the parking lot. Some border US town businesses fly the Stars & Stripes and the Red Maple. Even the local quilt shop always has Canadian customers who love her fabrics. I am used to seeing the Maple flag up on the Supermarket I would really miss it if it weren't there next to Old Glory. They are like sisters.
What a nice thought. our nations have been "sisters" since the War of 1812 and before that too but all families have spats!
The difference in fabrid prices just doesnot make sense. I wonder what the justification is? Perhaps some outmotted protectionism?
It is stupid as it just means that Canadian fabric shops are losing sales.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:46 PM

I ordered bfrom Connecting Threads and I think if you order over $50 you only pay $7 shipping and handling. Depending on the Canadian Dollar you can get a real deal
Old 06-04-2010, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by MrsColumbo
I dont even bother ... by the time we pay the conversion (if there is any) and the tax, plus duty (depending on how THEY choose to send it), it doesn't save that much ... if I could go across to WA state and buy it, I probably would.

Toby
I live in BC as well, and I have NEVER paid duty or taxes on quilting fabric from the US yet. I bought from places like Whittles (where I got thimbleberries for $4 a yard US-after shipping and exchange it was around $5 or so(bought 9 yards at a time to make the most of shipping), ebay (got moda kota batiks for $5.32US a yard, and again got 9 yards to make the most of shipping which was $11), Etsy and Fabric Depot, Over the Rainbow, Connecting Threads etc etc. I average about $6-8 a yard CDN after shipping and exchange. And like I said, have never been charged duties or tax on fabric yet. I always get it sent USPS, never any other way, but I haven't really seen a seller that sent it any other way to begin with. The last time I bought fabric in BC it cost me $80 with the taxes for 5 metres. I buy 99% of my fabric from the states. You should really try it, it will save you a ton of money! (just got another ebay fabric order today, all Modas and cost me $59CDN for 9 yards after shipping and exchange (again, no duties or taxes were charged))