Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
my sympathies for Canadian quilters. >

my sympathies for Canadian quilters.

my sympathies for Canadian quilters.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by bearspaws
Originally Posted by MrsColumbo
I dont even bother ... by the time we pay the conversion (if there is any) and the tax, plus duty (depending on how THEY choose to send it), it doesn't save that much ... if I could go across to WA state and buy it, I probably would.

Toby
I live in BC as well, and I have NEVER paid duty or taxes on quilting fabric from the US yet. I bought from places like Whittles (where I got thimbleberries for $4 a yard US-after shipping and exchange it was around $5 or so(bought 9 yards at a time to make the most of shipping), ebay (got moda kota batiks for $5.32US a yard, and again got 9 yards to make the most of shipping which was $11), Etsy and Fabric Depot, Over the Rainbow, Connecting Threads etc etc. I average about $6-8 a yard CDN after shipping and exchange. And like I said, have never been charged duties or tax on fabric yet. I always get it sent USPS, never any other way, but I haven't really seen a seller that sent it any other way to begin with. The last time I bought fabric in BC it cost me $80 with the taxes for 5 metres. I buy 99% of my fabric from the states. You should really try it, it will save you a ton of money! (just got another ebay fabric order today, all Modas and cost me $59CDN for 9 yards after shipping and exchange (again, no duties or taxes were charged))

As I mentioned, I probably would order from the US if I used cotton but for me to buy the heavy tapestry that I use just isn't feasible .. plus I can't see the quality or feel it and if I get it, it isn't the quality I want, I have to pay to send it back.

Toby
Old 06-04-2010, 05:26 PM

Oops Toby, now I read all the replies and saw that you said you don't buy cotton, just tapestry stuff. Have you tried Hancock's of Paducah? they have tapestry and home dec stuff but don't know about the prices etc.
Old 06-04-2010, 05:27 PM

As I mentioned, I probably would order from the US if I used cotton but for me to buy the heavy tapestry that I use just isn't feasible .. plus I can't see the quality or feel it and if I get it, it isn't the quality I want, I have to pay to send it back.

Toby[/quote]

I guess we were replying at the same time..sorry LOL
Old 06-04-2010, 07:18 PM

There are two LQS in Bellingham, plus Fabrics, Etc. There is a JoAnns, also. In Lynden there are a couple of LQS as well. It would be worth a trip across the border. (I am partial to Bellingham, Wa as my BF lives there and I visit often.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by gzuslivz
There are two LQS in Bellingham, plus Fabrics, Etc. There is a JoAnns, also. In Lynden there are a couple of LQS as well. It would be worth a trip across the border. (I am partial to Bellingham, Wa as my BF lives there and I visit often.
Unfortunately I am unable to go to the US.

Toby
Old 06-05-2010, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
A couple of years ago I ran into a quilter in Urbana, Il. that was purchasing a HUGE amount of fabric from one of our LQS's. She said that she was here visiting a friend. She was from Australia. She said that her friend was allowing her to leave all her clothes here so that she could fill her big suitcases with fabric to take home. She also told me that the following year she was going to come back with empty suitcases to refill with fabric. She said, "Since my clothes will already be here. . . . ." So, my suggestion to all you Canadian quilters is to make friends with someone on this side of the border, keep some clothes here and come on over once in a while with an empty car to fill.
lolol wanna b THIS Canadian's friend??
Old 06-05-2010, 07:40 AM

lolol wanna b THIS Canadian's friend??[/quote]

Halifax ..... I'm from there ... am stopping over there mid month when I go east ... LOVE Halifax. :)

Toby
Old 06-05-2010, 05:54 PM

What is the tax in BC? I visit across the border often to buy fabric and also buy online. I feel bad about not supporting our two LQS on a bigger scale but with the Ontario tax at 13% and higher prices it all adds up to a bigger expense. I can buy the same fabric at a QS in the US for a huge savings! LOL!! - then I can buy more :)
Old 06-06-2010, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by costumegirl
What is the tax in BC? I visit across the border often to buy fabric and also buy online. I feel bad about not supporting our two LQS on a bigger scale but with the Ontario tax at 13% and higher prices it all adds up to a bigger expense. I can buy the same fabric at a QS in the US for a huge savings! LOL!! - then I can buy more :)
Right now it's 5% GST and 7%PST but the gov't is trying to harmonize them, so we'll pay 12% on everything, including things that we only paid the GST on before, like hydro and gas bills. But I hear the same thing is going on in Ontario too. It's not good LOL.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by mrsdralshhadeh
I am saddened by this as well,, I live in Puerto Rico,, and there are virtually NO fabric shops ehre. Unless you going to make curtains,,lol... So,,I have to start shopping online,,m ymommy (who live sin W.Pa) send me care packages every now and again,,, but I feel the pain with you Canada,,,, :cry:
I was in Puerto Rico last year teaching at the (Faria)? It was sort of a craft fair and I was teaching painting. I did ask one of the ladies if we could go to a fabric shops etc and I was surprised to hear there were none. I was all in the mood to get some different fabric...oh gosh, we are so lucky here in the USA.