Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
This is my table runner.  What's it need? >

This is my table runner. What's it need?

This is my table runner. What's it need?

Old 07-28-2016, 05:40 PM

Default This is my table runner. What's it need?

I love to sew little projects.

Our daughter asked if dad would paint her kitchen (she's getting married this fall) & she's going with a light aqua color. Very popular right now among the young people.

I've never done the pineapple paper piecing 'til now ... have enjoyed doing this a lot.
I think it would look better if I had a 2nd row of these blocks, but I also think that it would make the runner "more busy" so I want to stick with just the one row.

I think I should put white around it, as shown.
But I also think that it "needs" a little border between the blocks & the white. Maybe 1/4" ?
I'm just not sure which color.

Thought I would bind it using the dark blue/light blue fabric that you see in the block,
but maybe I should use that as the border between the blocks & the white?
Would I then use it again for the binding, or maybe choose another color ... something lighter, maybe?

Regardless, I think that this needs something between the blocks & the white, but I'm not sure what.
Can you help me figure this out?

Please remember, I'm kinda new @ this & since it's a shower gift, I would like it to be nice.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails img_4883.jpg  
Old 07-28-2016, 05:45 PM

I think it will look better leaving as is. Very pretty
Old 07-28-2016, 05:51 PM

How about the gray?
Old 07-28-2016, 06:13 PM

Have you considered a white inner border 3/4 to 1 1/2 inches then a 2-3 inch outer border in one of the aquas with a dark blue flange? Just another option for you to consider, love your pineapple blocks!
Old 07-28-2016, 06:25 PM

I did think of that .... but being (still) new at this, I wondered if it wouldn't detract from the beauty of the pieced blocks.

You think not?

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:40 PM

Beautiful choice of colors. I think it will look great with the is blue binding.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:58 PM

Love the colors. I would do a dark blue flange (it will stop the busyness) and a white border .
Old 07-28-2016, 07:39 PM

If it were me I would not use the white...it feels stark. I am leaning toward the darker colors. I might try gray and navy. or a pretty print that includes some of these colors. I guess for me it would depend on what colors I find that work, but I would for sure audition some darker shades instead of white.

BTW..... I love how your pineapples turned out, very pretty!
Old 07-28-2016, 08:01 PM
Power Poster

Try laying it on aqua fabric and see if you like it better. The white seems a bit bright to me. Very pretty piecing.
Old 07-28-2016, 08:03 PM

I think it needs some lovely quilting in the white areas & a pretty teal binding on it -- nothing else. Your blocks are beautiful & the overall look is perfect for a young modern-transitional decor. You didn't say whether you're planning on quilting it yourself or sending it out, so I won't offer quilting suggestions, but there are plenty of lovely ways to add interest to the runner with the quilting (anywhere from basic lines to circles & feathers) in the white areas that I think would give it that pop & separation it sounds like you're seeking. My personal opinion is that adding sashing around the blocks, especially dark colors, might not fit so well with a young person's decor. I'm hoping to paint my own kitchen cabinets that beautiful aquamarine color that's very on trend right now & would be thrilled with the piecing exactly as you have it right now.