Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Upcoming Quilt.......or Disaster!!!! by Danmar >

My Upcoming Quilt.......or Disaster!!!! by Danmar

My Upcoming Quilt.......or Disaster!!!! by Danmar

Old 08-20-2010, 12:50 PM

Hi everybody! I am trying to work on my McCall's Quilting Contest entry, so I won't be starting Paulines quilt until I have it done and entered. It has to be in by Sept 13, so that's about 3 weeks. I'll start it sooner if I get done sooner. Anyways.....

I heard from Pauline again last Saturday. She called to tell me that.... What do you think??? You're right! She called to tell me that she bought some more material!!!
I couldn't believe it, until she told me that it was just the backing for the quilt. What a relief! I think it already has plenty of different colors in it.

But then, she blew me away!!! You'll never believe what she said. This is what she said:

"I bought the material for the backing for the quilt. Thing is, it doesn't go with any of the other material in the quilt! But....I liked it and they had enough of it, so I got it!"

I just started laughing. I didn't doubt her in the least. I haven't seen it yet, but she said that it is blue with like black dots on it! Will send you all a picture when I get one. It'll probably be awhile though, since I'm not even working on hers yet.

I personally, just can't wait to see what the backing is going to be. I wonder if it's polka dots, or just blue with some black things in it, but not polka dots. I think this quilt is going to be quite interesting and challenging.

Hope everyone is having a wonderful summer and staying cool.
Happy quilting!
Marilyn
Old 08-20-2010, 01:20 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing how this comes out! And you're right, $200 is so not enough for all the work you'll be doing on this one....

BTW, I personally don't think the backing needs to match the front ~ you generally don't see both sides at the the same time, right? :D

Good luck!
Old 08-20-2010, 03:43 PM

Good luck with your challenge quilt.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by zyxquilts
I'm looking forward to seeing how this comes out! And you're right, $200 is so not enough for all the work you'll be doing on this one....

BTW, I personally don't think the backing needs to match the front ~ you generally don't see both sides at the the same time, right? :D

Good luck!
That's what I think too. I just found it funny the way she explained that it just doesn't go with the rest of the material. I think that whatever it is will be fine.
Thanks,
Marilyn
Old 08-20-2010, 07:50 PM

Best of luck to you on your challenge!!!
Old 08-20-2010, 08:53 PM

I'm calling the Vatican!!!! You should be a Saint!!!! OMG!!!
I'm thinking that if you built it the way you know it should be built, with all the changes she's made. Do you really think she'd know that it wasn't already her idea?
I know, I know, that would not be nice, but PLEASE!!!!! You have way more patience than I.
I would Love to see it as you go.
Good luck!
:-D
Old 08-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Power Poster

I will be sooo interested to see how Pauline's quilt turns out!! But you are so talented I know you will pull it all together!! It will be beautifull I am sure!!

BTW what you call a kite I call a Star Point Block.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:46 AM

Marilyn, you have made my day today! I have been away from the board for a few days and was not aware of the drama going on here. This is a priceless story!
I, too, am in the middle of working on a commissioned/bartering quilt and still in the negotiating colors/pattern/materials stage. I can so commiserate with your excitement, her indecision, my angst at "getting it right!"
I am sure you will do beautifully and she will be so pleased with the final results. I am looking forward to progress updates!
Old 08-21-2010, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
I will be sooo interested to see how Pauline's quilt turns out!! But you are so talented I know you will pull it all together!! It will be beautifull I am sure!!

BTW what you call a kite I call a Star Point Block.
Oh. Thank you Rhonda! I had no idea it was even a block already. I was going to make my own pattern, but now maybe I can find one like I want. (Making it might be faster though.)

I am going to keep you all updated on Pauline's quilt, just like I did with "My Experimental Bargello". A lot of people have expressed an interest in seeing this happen. I'm just not sure when it is going to "happen" yet.

Thanks for your interest.
Marilyn
Old 08-21-2010, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by juneeloonee
Marilyn, you have made my day today! I have been away from the board for a few days and was not aware of the drama going on here. This is a priceless story!
I, too, am in the middle of working on a commissioned/bartering quilt and still in the negotiating colors/pattern/materials stage. I can so commiserate with your excitement, her indecision, my angst at "getting it right!"
I am sure you will do beautifully and she will be so pleased with the final results. I am looking forward to progress updates!
Thank you! I hope your creation is as much fun as mine promises to be. We'll have to compare stories sometime.
Marilyn