Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: My very favorite tool ever!

I have one and I love it! I gave one to my sister for Christmas several years ago and she still says it is the best gift I ever gave her. Yes it stands up and survives dropping to the floor. Ask me how I know!

I got one from my daughter-in-laws mother. She and I are real close and do a lot of things together. I love mine and use it all the time. It's a "got to have tool" once you use it.

I dug mine out and remembered how I loved it!!!! I don't know why I put it away but thanks for reminding me how cool it is!

so cool I never seen it before but will look for it now thank you

I have one of these and love it also.

Great sewing tool

My husband made me one out of wood and a razor blade. Yes, it works great when chain sewing.

Blog Entries
    If given a choice I always choose useful and pretty over useful with a make-do look. A woodworker could make beautiful weighted one of kind ones.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    Would those of you who have home-made thread cutters please post a picture? Especially Judi's made with a razor blade.
    TwandasMom

Gypsy cutter

Quote Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
    Nobody ever talks about this tool and it's my favorite ever and I don't ever see anyone talking about it. A few months ago I bought a second one for the Secret Santa. I was so excited to give this to whoever I was lined up with, but I was too late to join. So, I gave it to my good, good friend here on the Board. She has written me quite a few times and thanked me for it, saying how she doesn't know how she got by without it.

It's the Gypsy Cutting Gismo. It's for chain sewing. And if you chain sew, you will love this thing so much. It takes so much time off of chain sewing. You can find it many places. I'm showing you one place that has a picture of what it actually does. You can find them cheaper. Here's the picture: http://www.cozyquilt.com/Aspx/Produc...productID=1583.

Please, give it a shot. They are wonderful!! It's my best friend when I'm chain sewing. I put it to the left of my sewing machine and use it right when I'm done chain sewing, then head to the ironing board. Anyone else have one and agree?
    Hi. It seems a good idea, not yet as far as I know available here in the U.k. Also not cheap for what it is, maybe I'm wrong. With the very high prices of fabric these days not everyone can afford all these new gismos.When I started out with this wonderful craft I was so excited I bought everything going, then soon realised I needed so little of it.Of course the cutting mats, basic rulers and rotary cutters are fabulous but with the angles on the basic rulers, other rulers are not really important.I have always so admired the women who did so much with so little in the past history, both in America and other countries, and in these days when our financial problems are so bad all over the world, I often wonder, should we should learn from those artistic women.I recently went to my local quilt shop and they said ''We have a demonstation model machine on offer,£2000 off, wheeee!! now £4000 instead of £6000.Oh well, maybe I am old fashioned and out of touch,but those of you on a limited budget who can still produce wonderful art, I say bless you. Sorry about this 'rant', love this site and all the most generous contributions.Long may you all continue. Love Letty

Thanks for this tip. Looks like a fine tool to have!

I bought myself one on sale at LQS I love it and it never falls over

Never thought of using my cutter on my machine. What a great idea! Thanks for the tip, appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by nygal View Post
    First time I've seen that. I just use the cutter that is built into my machine. IT works the same way.

sap
    Quote Originally Posted by cizzors View Post
    Guess I'm the only one not interested in speed. I snip mine apart at a pretty good pace. Even at $5.00, that's a yard of fabric on sale!
    I feel like u do,,,just more junk

Just got my ordered. Thank You...Thank You....Thank You....for a fantastic tool to add to mine

A seam ripper upside down in the hole of a large spool of thread does the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
    Ooh! Never seen this before - looks as if it would save quite a bit of time. Thanks. *Googling to see if there is a UK stockist*
    I thought the same thing! Absolutely brilliant idea.

Amazon UK have them at £13.57 - think I will get my daughter to bring one over from the States when she comes.
    W.C. Fields

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it.

Quote Originally Posted by MimiBug123 View Post
    This looks like a great tool, but I am truly impressed with the make your own ideas. The one in the egg is precious. You've used it for a while and the was has held up? I was wondering about using plaster of Paris. I've got to give this a try. I am getting to make a quilt that will have many pieces chained together and this will be perfect. I can't wait to show this at my next guild meeting.
    I have been using mine pretty regularly for 3 years, since I started quilting. (47 quilts, so far) I would think that plaster of Paris would work quite well.

Dina

I have a clover needle threader that also has a thread cutter on it. I use the thread cutter for this purpose. It works great.
    may you be in heaven before the devil knows your dead!
    Liz

Blog Entries
    thanks for telling all of us about this toool........it is one I havent seen or even knew about until now......you ladies are wonderful.............
    Judy, retired RN, alias 4 dogs and in the mountains of western North Carolina.

Someday you will be a memory - try to make it a good one .

I have one that I got back in 1999 - it uses a collapsible seam ripper that I open up and then stand it in a red metal heart base...I love it! It is just like this one I found a pic of on the net

Name:  photo1-224x300.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  16.4 KB
    Kim ~ Cheyenne, WY
    "If you have one eye on yesterday, and one eye on tomorrow, you’re going to be cockeyed today."
    Sunflower Antics

Very brilliant idea. Neat little tool. I think I'll make myself one, I don't do much chain sewing, but it would be very handy. I mean as quilters aren't we "suppose" to have every gadget available ??

Quote Originally Posted by wraez View Post
    My friend's husband loves working with wood and he made dozen's of these with his wood scraps ... and my friend gives them as gifts. I LOVE mine!
    I love these ideas. Can you post picture of them. I am trying to visualize how the wooden spoon is glued on to hold a seam ripper. Great idea. I think I will try this method. I love this board! I am learning so much from all you!

Blog Entries
    A long time ago someone gave me a piece of wood that was sanded and varnished with a hole in it for holding the end of a seam ripper. I've really never used it, maybe I need to haul it out and give it a whirl.
    Sally Dolin
    Rock Island, IL

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3