Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My way to use up and recycle scraps of fabric. >

My way to use up and recycle scraps of fabric.

My way to use up and recycle scraps of fabric.

Old 12-14-2013, 12:13 AM
Power Poster

Someday I so want to make one of those jackets with any kind of scraps.
Old 12-14-2013, 03:16 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]451660[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]451662[/ATTACH]These are pix of me using up wonky scraps too. I like controlled scrappy so I make sure the fabrics I put together are all the same color. I have also been using up throw away jeans that have too may holes in them to be worn. Love your ideas too.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  
Old 12-14-2013, 04:18 AM

Awesome ideas. Thank you.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:23 AM

Once I have enough tiny scraps sewn together, I back it with stiff interfacing, zigzag around the edges with a tight satin stitch. It doesn't matter what shape or size, I then put in a small round grommet and make luggage tags.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:55 AM
Power Poster

Really awesome!!!!
Old 12-14-2013, 07:16 AM
Power Poster

I have a small basket nailed to the side of dH's shed. about the size of a quart jar. I have taken dryer lint, small pieces of thread and teenie tiny pieces of scraps and put those in that little basket. I was surprised how empty it is most of the time soon after I put anything into it. I also cut my own hair and that goes very quick.
Originally Posted by SandyinZ4 View Post
Pic. 11 With other little scraps, I made two kinds of book marks. Some I sewed together using a piece of dryer sheet as backing until it was the size I wanted. Then cut a backing a bit larger and folded over the edges for the binding. Another way was to take scraps and use heat and bond the two fabrics together. Then pink the edges and it is done. This one is a bit floppy but still works. The greeting cards are made with heat and bond on scraps which I then cut out with rotary cutter in quilt shapes and ironed onto the card stock.

More ideas are to use dryer sheets for foundations for scrappy work. Some folks have mentioned on here that folks with allergies might not be able to have these so keep that in mind. I like to use fabric that is really too flimsy for anything else and use it as foundation. Then I don't have to rip it off like paper. If you have lots of birds in your area, besure and put out the leftover strings and tiny trimmings for them to use in nests. I have never lived where this was feasible but sounds so neat to be able to find a nest at the end of a season that would have threads etc. incorporated into it. Several have mentioned that the trimmings can be used for pet beds too if you can find someone who could use them.

These are just some of the ideas for what I do to use up scraps. I think there is always someone who can probably use what you don't want so offer it for the postage and I am sure lots of new projects and friends will be made. Please feel free to add on your pictures and ideas. The End. :-)
Old 12-14-2013, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

Wow, those are some great ideas. Such cute stuff from the scraps. So creative.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:26 AM

Thanks for sharing your ideas and all the pictures! I too have been guilty of tossing scraps that I now realize were actually very useful.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

Love to see how people recycle. enjoyed your projects. You are right, fabric is so expensive these days. I have a granddaughter who loves to play with larger scraps when she comes to visit. I donate my scraps to senior center-they go fast-I put in large clear plastic bags and when bag is full, off they go.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:30 AM

Great ideas!