Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My wife said no flowers this year .... so ..... >

My wife said no flowers this year .... so .....

My wife said no flowers this year .... so .....

Old 02-14-2011, 02:05 PM

do you have an older brother?
Old 02-14-2011, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by goaf1968
My wife and I were sitting in the living room watching the Nature Channel when she turned to me and said, Will you please do me a favor and do not get any candy, flowers or a card for Valentine's Day for me?"

Being the dutiful husband that I am, I agreed to honor her request. What I didn't say anything about, though, was the road trip I was going to take her on yesterday:

1. Headed into Lancaster County, PA for breakfast at our favorite morning meal restaurant.
2. Went to a local variety store where they happen to sell fabrics at very reasonable prices -- they serve the Amish and Mennonite communities with their goods.
3. Then it was off to a little one-man operated store where he sells the absolutely best smoked pork items I have ever had -- spent way too much there (yum.)
4. Off again, this time into Intercourse, PA, and two more fabric shops.
5. Then off to yet another grocery store to stock up on our favorite foods from that area (yes, I grew up in that area.)
6. Of course, another stop to yet another fabric store --- wait, actually two more shops.
7. Then a 1 1/2 hour drive back home.

Once home I cooked a meal of smoked pork chops, wax beans and handmade noodles. I then cleaned up for us.

Well, I think she made out far better than flowers, candy and a card.

Oh yes, did I say that we spent hours talking about all kinds of stuff, but nothing that related to any stressful situations (like work - college kids - work -- college kids bills --- did I mention work?

You see, it doesn't take much to make her happy -- just do everything she loves doing and surprise her by taking her.

Terry -- in Northern Delaware

P.S. I didn't forget about me. We went into two thrift shops and in one of them I found a pristine Singer Model 600 in its original carrying case ... and it looked like it was never used! That was the best $8 I have spent in a long time on a machine.
oh my goodness! and they say all the good ones are taken...oh, yeah...you are taken! lol!
um, do you teach? got a student that could use a few pointers, but otherwise a good guy. ;-)
Old 02-14-2011, 02:19 PM

Hi Terry from Northern Delaware. You sound like my husband Terry from Southern Delaware. He would do something like that for me. What's the name of the smoked pork place as I want to do a weekend trip to Lancaster. Terry sometimes smokes his own and it's real good. He just came back from Olympia WA and brought some smoked pork from there. Yum! And I ordered fabric while he was gone.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:19 PM

A guy like you makes an argument for cloning!! You know giving is getting!!
Old 02-14-2011, 02:45 PM

I'm from Lancaster (born and raised). Relocated to IA in 2007. You've made me home sick. I've spent many, many, many hours in Intercourse and surrounding area at the fabric stores, etc. I really miss then. Nothing like it here.

Glad you enjoyed your trip !!
Old 02-14-2011, 02:54 PM

What a great day for both of you!!!!
Old 02-14-2011, 04:01 PM

All the ladies on here should have a DH like you. Luckily, I do.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:11 PM

OH!!!! WHATA MAN!!
Old 02-14-2011, 04:12 PM

What a great husband you are!
Old 02-14-2011, 04:15 PM

Sounds to me like a memory maker day for both of you. You earned a lot of points with all of us ladies on this board, but then, I bet you are that thoughtful all the time. Its good to see