Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mystery hexagon pieces >

Mystery hexagon pieces

Mystery hexagon pieces

Old 05-22-2021, 02:47 PM

Default Mystery hexagon pieces

Hi all,
I picked up a giant bag of fabric at my local thrift shop. Apparently I stumbled onto another quilter’s hoard. I am sorry that the original owner did not get a chance to finish her projects. There were some blank quilt tags in there with a quilting guild’s name.

In my haul was a bag of 5” print hexagons, some completely sewn together and some not. I count roughly 55 hexagons (both complete and partial). The quilter had carefully separated the pieces with paper towels so that each complete hexagon was stored with the identical pieces to make a second duplicate hexagon. There was also a plexi template for the hexagon pieces and a template for the complete hexagon (see photo).

In another bag was a stack of 4” triangles and a template, and a third bag held 31/4” triangles (flying geese type). These are in the bottom of the photo. I am unsure if the triangles were intended for the same quilt as the hexagons but they seem to be similar colours.

I would like to finish this project but I have never made a hexagon quilt. Does anyone have any idea what the quilter may have been making based on the pieces? Do I add pieces to make the hexagons into squares?

thanks in advance for the help!

Lorraine in BC

Old 05-22-2021, 03:49 PM
Power Poster

Great find! You can add to then to make them square and assemble them in rows. The triangle pieces on the bottom right may fit the 4 sides? You can also do whatever you want with them as they are now yours. They would make cute hexagon coasters. You can also sew them together in rows but you will have to contend with Y seams.
Old 05-22-2021, 05:32 PM

You can add the equilateral triangles to the hexagons to make diamonds, then assemble them in rows with no y-seams.
Old 05-22-2021, 05:42 PM

Jordan's of Oregon has a couple of free Hexagon quilt patterns, one of which uses the corner triangles to square up the hexagons. The Roundabout pattern is similar to a One Block Wonder and doesn't use the corner triangles.
Old 05-23-2021, 02:15 PM

http://www.thesewingchick.com/2012/0...uilt-tutorial/
adding two triangles makes it easy to piece together.
Attached Thumbnails p1250004.jpg  
Old 05-23-2021, 02:23 PM

What a haul. I hope you find an easy way to use them. It would be a shame to have all of that work go to waste. I have so much fabric and projects in my sewing room that my daughters will probably think I am crazy when I die.
Old 05-24-2021, 04:16 AM

Perhaps, just laying a few out with the triangles like the link that Quiltwoman44 gave will give you some ideas. I tried to find some with the shapes shown. It seems like once upon a time I saw something similar with the taller triangles, but couldn't find it again.

Maybe you can get some ideas from the following.
https://www.talesofcloth.com/waterwheel-quilt
http://www.thecaffeinatedquilter.com/?p=600
http://sewingbymoonlight.com/2012/11...lock-tutorial/

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Not affiliated with off-site link(s)
Old 05-24-2021, 05:34 AM

I have just started cutting out 5" hexies but haven't decided how I want to put them together. Now you have given me some ideas.
Thanks and good luck on your venture.
Old 05-25-2021, 06:40 AM

Looks like you got a great find. Enjoy going thru the stash of "mystery" pieces.