Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Mystery quilt snag ... would appreciate ideas.

Mystery quilt snag ... would appreciate ideas.

I carefully selected these 12 fat quarters for a mystery quilt sponsored by a local quilt guild. I had a medical issue and was unable to attend the all day sewing event. After seeing my friends' quilts, I decided it wouldn't do my fabric choices any justice. Now I'm stuck! Just can't find a pattern for a lap size quilt using the 6 darks and 6 lights. I need a pattern that doesn't call for any other fabrics, except possibly a border. Does anyone have any suggestions? I really love the fabrics and need to choose a pretty pattern.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is your style traditional or modern or somewhere in between?

I'm thinking Friendship braid, or Log cabin?

Blog Entries
    Quick Quarter Quilts found in Eleanor Burns' Quick Trips book uses quarter yards. It's one of my go to quilt patterns. 12 quarters will make a crib quilt. 18 will make a lap quilt if you want to add a few. You'd just need to add borders.

Power Poster
    Watch MSQC Jenny's tutorial on Disappearing Hourglass and then veiw some of the quilt pictures posted here. This pattern works well with fat quarters in lights and dark. I liked working with the bias edges but if you don't there is a chart for making the pieces on straight of grain on QB. I did a tutorial on how to do the larger block under the title Disappearing Hourglass 12 and 1/2.
    Last edited by Tartan; 11-24-2015 at 08:12 AM.

Yellow Brick Road by Terri Atkinson~~ ?
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

You have the same amount of each fabric? And there are six lights and six darks? That would work perfectly for a Log Cabin! There are many beautiful layouts with this simple pattern - it definitely is on my bucket list! Here's a link to a page that shows just some of the possibilities:

http://www.lynbrown.com/log-cabin-doll-quilt/

You chose some beautiful pieces of fabric. How about a Yellow Brick Road pattern?

Nice fabric. You might have to find more coordinating fabric if you want to make a lap quilt. I would just view all of MSQC videos. She has a lot of easy patterns to make.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

The possibilities are endless using half square triangles which your fabrics would work well.

Enjoy making what you decide and please show us the end result.

Missouri Star's doble slice would be a nice pattern for your fabrics. The pieces are large enough to show off your fabric choices!

Quote Originally Posted by Mariposa View Post
    Yellow Brick Road by Terri Atkinson~~ ?
    This is the pattern I was going to suggest.

Love your fabric choices. Whatever you make out of them will be beautiful. Enjoy the process!!

Ok your fabric is beautiful. I'm looking for something like that to make a Christmasy quilt.

Annie Unrein of www.byannie.com has a free pattern called "Wickedly Easy" quilt. It uses FQs, and you figure 1 FQ equals 1 block. I used the pattern to teach some co-workers to quilt, and they turned out very nice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful fabrics! Hope you will show us whatever you make with it.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I love the fabrics. I would do a log cabin. That was my first thought. I think it will be so pretty

Blog Entries
    love the idea of a log cabin. I made one and it turned out beautifully.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Some of the designs in M'Liss Rae Hawley's "Fat Quarter Quilts" should work. Just use the assorted lights and darks instead of all the same "background". Good Luck!
    Retired math teacher --
    I CAN FIGURE IT OUT!

You could do a Turning 20/12. I have done a few of these with 12 FQ & they are a great size. Large sofa quilt & could even be a twin size topper.

Create your own pattern. If not sure, start with a DNP (disappearing 9 patch) using fabric in separate blocks. Sash and you've got a beautiful lap quilt, or it may grow to a lap plus 1 or 2 wall hangings, or even a full size quilt. Never hesitate. Just start doing it. I find much enjoyment of creating my own patterns, especially when I ask the Lord God Almighty to help me. We work together as a team - a great way to start and finish your project. Oftentimes I change the design in the middle of my project because He suggests a better way. The end result is always beautiful! Enjoy!

Log cabin was my first choice, too.

Quote Originally Posted by MommyA View Post
    I carefully selected these 12 fat quarters for a mystery quilt sponsored by a local quilt guild. I had a medical issue and was unable to attend the all day sewing event. After seeing my friends' quilts, I decided it wouldn't do my fabric choices any justice. Now I'm stuck! Just can't find a pattern for a lap size quilt using the 6 darks and 6 lights. I need a pattern that doesn't call for any other fabrics, except possibly a border. Does anyone have any suggestions? I really love the fabrics and need to choose a pretty pattern.
    Those are beautiful fabrics- you could make a gorgeous star table runner with those- have fun! Check out Bonnie Hunter's web site with all of her beautiful patterns
    Creativity is the essence of the soul
    Sandi

Log cabins are my favorite! But there are lots of fun easy patterns your fat quarters would work well in! Have fun!!

The fat quarter fizz calls for 10 light and 10 dark. If you can come up with a few more fat quarters this looks nice.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bNFkjKJKrU
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
    Susan