Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! I Have A Snag! >

Help! I Have A Snag!

Help! I Have A Snag!

Old 06-17-2011, 01:56 PM

Help! DH's aunt is going to be attending a craft/quilt fair soon and she had finished 3 quilt tops to sell but doesn't have time to quilt them before the fair since she's gone back to school so she asked me to quilt the tops for her. She had already sandwiched 2 of the tops but since they had been folded for so long, they needed to be pressed and resandwiched. So, I unrolled one and there was a terrible snag in the border of one of the quilts. She said she knew about it (thought it was probably from leaving the pins in for so long) and wondered if I could quilt it in such a way that it was unnoticeable. Any thoughts on how to do this? It's not a straight line snag so I can't do echo quilting around the edges.

On either side of the snag is a hard, raised bumpy line that's the main problem. She thought I could kind of quilt over top of it so it wasn't so noticeable but I really am unsure of what design to use or how to do it. My first thought was the echo quilting but it's not thoroughly straight so it wouldn't completely cover that bump.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-212983.jpe   attachment-212984.jpe  
Old 06-17-2011, 02:00 PM
Kas

My mom used to take a needle and thread without a knot and come through the back. Then she would put the needle through the loop made by the snag and then put the needle back through the same hole in the fabric she pushed it up through. Then holding the loose end of the thread and the needle in one hand she would pull the snag back through. Then you should be able to quilt over it.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Kas
My mom used to take a needle and thread without a knot and come through the back. Then she would put the needle through the loop made by the snag and then put the needle back through the same hole in the fabric she pushed it up through. Then holding the loose end of the thread and the needle in one hand she would pull the snag back through. Then you should be able to quilt over it.
I have to do that periodically for a couple of knit shirts that my husband loves to play golf in. Does work.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:19 PM

Jeeze! Who is going to notice that unless it is pointed out to them? Is she charging $2000.00 or $200.00?
Old 06-17-2011, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Jeeze! Who is going to notice that unless it is pointed out to them? Is she charging $2000.00 or $200.00?
:lol: I don't know what she's charging but it is pretty noticeable in person. This picture kind of dulls it but the snag is also right on top of the fabric. It looks to me more like it was something already on the fabric when she bought it. It doesn't look like something that anyone could have done but more like something that was an error in the fabric.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Kas
That would take care of the loop on top of the fabric but there's a snag line in the fabric. It's pretty noticeable in person but this picture kind of dulls the snag. It looks more like a manufacturing error than a human error. There's a hard, raised bump on the fabric that you can kind of see in the picture. That's what I'm trying to cover up. She had the thought that if I did some kind of quilting, then it would cover it up.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:36 PM

I use these and have for years for knitted sweaters. I have two cats...need I say anything more?

In the drug stores you can find some huge plastic needle looking things that are sold as "Floss leaders" which you can thread with floss and pull it thorough and past bridges in your teeth.

These are marvelous for doing just what you're talking about.

Or use a big needle!
Old 06-17-2011, 02:39 PM

There's a hard, raised bump on the fabric that you can kind of see in the picture. That's what I'm trying to cover up. She had the thought that if I did some kind of quilting, then it would cover it up.[/quote]
-------------------
Can you stick a needle in there and see if it's something that you can force apart without doing much harm to the batting? A hard bump says to me it might be the head of a pin..I'd look to see if there is one hidden in there. Perhaps a strong magnet? If it does say something metal, then perhaps take out an inch or so of seams, because that might be dangerous to leave in there. Hopefully it's just a fabric mass..
Old 06-17-2011, 02:42 PM

How about an applique?
Old 06-17-2011, 02:51 PM

Looks like a flaw in the weave of the fabric! I think quilting over it will 'blend' it in!