Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mystery Quilts - have you done any ? >

Mystery Quilts - have you done any ?

Mystery Quilts - have you done any ?

Old 02-18-2012, 06:28 PM
Fabriclovr

Originally Posted by Ruby the Quilter View Post
So what exactly is a mystery quilt?
A mystery quilt is one where you get the general directions to start, say the fabric requirements. You choose your own fabrics based on the design requirements, such as lights med and dark that go with a focus fabric. You gather each in the required amounts and then on clue day, you get the 1st set of instructions. Using your fabric choices, you follow the directions (clues) one by one until you have a completed top. Follow this link to Blue Skies, it is an up and coming Mystery Quilt that I am designing and hosting here on the board in April.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by kathdavis View Post
I like to pick my colors according to the quilt and Mystery Quilts keep that a mystery, and that drives me crazy. I guess I don't really like surprises. I've done one Mystery Quilt and would have chosen different fabrics had I known what it would end up being like. I guess I'm not a fan of Mystery Quilts.
Kathleen--I absolutely agree! I want to do a mystery quilt and enjoy it, but on the one I have done, I had a terrible time picking out fabric--what scale should it be--should the colors contrast, etc?
Old 02-18-2012, 08:15 PM
Fabriclovr

Originally Posted by margaret53 View Post
Kathleen--I absolutely agree! I want to do a mystery quilt and enjoy it, but on the one I have done, I had a terrible time picking out fabric--what scale should it be--should the colors contrast, etc?
OH then you will love Blue Skies! It is a light and a dark and a bunch of mediums all in the same color! How easy is that??!
Click on this link and then book mark the thread, I think you will enjoy this mystery! Blue Skies

Old 02-18-2012, 08:53 PM

sharon i have enjoyed the two that i have done so far and of course i am working on the mccall's 3-part mystery quilt also. some of my fears with mystery quilts though is i am not a traditional pattern lover (star blocks, log cabins, etc) so i think that i may get involved in one that is centered around traditional patterns and i know i will not like it.

if it is an established site that is hosting a mystery quilt, i check them out to see what other mystery quilts they have done before and if they are traditional settings or patterns, i opt out. so far, i am having fun though but the first hint i get during a mystery quilt that it's traditional, i am baling big time.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by rainbow quilter View Post
I'm doing my first one now - the 3-part McCall's Mystery quilt. I've loved the process so far and I'm looking forward to seeing the final result
rainbow are you working with us on the mccalls mystery quilt? i hope so.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:07 PM

fabriclovr you sure are taking the opportunity for promo spots for your upcoming quilt projects. what a way to self promote. all roads lead to blue skies.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:15 PM

well I love all your quilts they are beautiful but i always have so many i want to do i am afraid to go for something i might not like
Old 02-19-2012, 04:37 AM

Fabriclovr, I love love love your quilt. Looks Celtic. Sure wish I had know about that one. So please tell me where do you find the mystery quilts at please? Is this pattern still available?

Last edited by verna2197; 02-19-2012 at 04:41 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:46 AM

your quilt is lovely i just finished the bonnie hunter quilt from last ywar her myersty one called roll roll cotton boil i do a lot of them off te computer
Old 02-19-2012, 04:55 AM

Love the super bowel quilt! Yes i enjoy the mystery quilts. some are better than others, but fun the same.