Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mystery Quilts >

Mystery Quilts

Mystery Quilts

Old 10-22-2010, 05:50 AM

I am just doing my first one now - am on the second set of blocks. It's kinda fun but I wouldn't invest in expensive fabrics to do it - just in case you really didn't like it (although I have never met a quilt that I didn't like!!). Lots of people say that it is great to use your stash for these types of projects too.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by np3
I need to know what it looks like first. I need to love what I am doing or I can't stay focused.
I'm with you on this!
Old 10-22-2010, 06:02 AM

I've been working on the Erik Homemade - scrap pile mystery quilt - it was great funa nd as it was scraps - none of the worries about it being a waste o f fabrics!!

http://erikhomemade.typepad.com/erik...t-project.html
Old 10-22-2010, 06:15 AM

A scrap pile mystery - now that I could get into! I have LOTS of scraps.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:24 AM

The first "real quilt" that I did, with a pattern, etc., was a mystery quilt. It was a little difficult for me to get the colors together, not knowing where they would be; but I guess I was just too "green" (or maybe ignorant) to know any better. Well, I love that quilt. It turned out very nicely, if I do say so myself. It's still one of my favorites.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:56 AM

I just got done doing a mystrey quilt from Erik Homemade e.zone. I just love it and working on there Christmas mystrey quilt. There are done with scrapes. I found there blog on this board they where alomost done with the first one but i went back and printed all the step just got done. It's a wonderful site.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:03 AM

I have done several (its a fun group to sew with and more of a social thing than a class) but our instructor is excellent and gives us a good colour board to start with and then points us in the right direction for fabrics that willwill lie together/opposite/contrast/tone and will also let us know the predominate print (can usually be worked out anyway from the amount required) so we are always happy with the end result. It is great fun to puzzle and gossip about how we think the final outcome will be! lol
Old 10-22-2010, 07:10 AM

I made one that was queen size. Would have preferred knowing pattern in advanced. The second mystery was better. Also not as hard to make. I generally prefer to pick my colors etc for a specific quilt.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:32 AM

I made a scrap mystery quitlt online. Every Monday, I was sent the next step. I am now receiving a Christmas mystery quilt from scraps now. Here is the link: http://erikhomemade.typepad.com/erik...Break+eZine%29

It is from a blog on Erik Homemade, and he really does a good job. And I have enough scraps and don't have to purchase anything! I really enjoyed doing the first one!
Old 10-22-2010, 08:28 AM

I have done several with my Quilt Guild and have been quite pleased. My only problem is doing the steps as I receive them otherwise I get behind and it winds up a UFO