Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mystery Quilts >

Mystery Quilts

Mystery Quilts

Old 10-22-2010, 04:34 PM

I have made a couple mystery quilts. Infact I will be doing antoher one in January. I enjoy them as you don't know what the quilt will look like until the class is almost over. Its always fun to see what everyone has picked out for their fabrics and how it goes togeather.

Do one you will have fun and if you don't like it you can always give it away.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:37 PM

Never been happy with my fabric placement on any mystery quilt. I think I'm way too much of a Virgo control freak.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:30 PM

I go for the socializing. only plan on making the smallest size the teacher offers. then it can go to Q4K or something like that. have to admit that I usually do not like the results, but have fun anyway. I rarely buy all new fabric.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:34 PM

i've done 2, and i don't think i would again without doing what i do now. i save all the instructions as they come along. then if i like what the ending is, i make the quilt as i would any other.

the 2 i did i was sorry i spent the money on. the end product was disappointing.

so i guess the answer is, yes, i did them. no, i wouldn't again.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by oatw13
I did one online and I didn't really like the end result but it was fun.

I am now doing another one that just started two weeks ago and I am not sure I will like the end result, but, again, it is fun.

I like how you are given only bits and pieces to work on at a time because they are very easy to finish and I really have a sense of accomplishment each week.

The one I am doing now is a Christmas Quilt / wallhanging here:

http://erikhomemade.typepad.com/

I also liked the ones I did because I only used scraps. There was no monetary outlay for fabrics or anything. So, even though it isn't my favorite, it's ok because I didn't spend any money on it and I enjoyed the process.
I did Eric's last mystery and really enjoyed - so am now starting his Christmas one calling it "BAH Humbug" as it is not Christmas colors! I used to always peek at the finished mystery afraid to choose my colors without looking. Now it is really fun not to know the outcome and truthfully the colors will be work no matter what you pick! I'm also starting Connect the Dots from Judy Laquidara http://www.patchworktimes.com
Old 10-22-2010, 06:32 PM

I'm not usually a person to take risks, but for some reason i like mystery quilts. A friend offers a class every yr in March. She has two days of classes with about 25 or so people each day. They make the same quilt each day. They go from 8:30 to 8:30. There are snacks for breakfast, a full lunch and a full dinner. Her husband and mine cook the meals and do dishes. We just sew like beavers, get up eat and go back to sewing. Around 5 pm., we get to see what the finished quilt will be. Everyone's quilt looks totally different and is so much fun. I think I have done this about 9 yrs now and I only disliked one of them, but it was too much of one of the fabrics that wasn't my favorite. The same friend has taught mystery quilts at the Road to CA show and will do so again this Jan. I am signed up. I have also done a couple online where they give you instructions through out the day for you to follow along. It is always a big surprise and I love surprises. Go for it and see if you like it.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Butterflyblue
Who has done a mystery quilt? Were you happy with the results? I am interested in the concept, but would hate to spend a lot of time/money on a quilt that wasn't really "my thing" in the end, you know?
I have done several mystery quilts. The secret to a great mystery quilt is contrast between your fabrics. The last 2 are the same pattern done in different colors/fabrics.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...45965719KoLRNb

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...45965719MTlOov

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...45965719YfbiwA

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...45965719DisykU
Old 10-22-2010, 06:49 PM

I've only done two mystery quilts but had some of the same reservations many others did. What enticed me to try it is that there was a kit of fabrics for the quilt and I LOVED them and knew I could also add a few from my stash to really make it mine so it didn't matter to me what the pattern was. As it turned out I loved it. It did have a lot of flying geese and 1/2 square triangles in it so I even learned some different techniques in the session. I think it might have been on Super Bowl Sunday and there was food too so it was fun. My other mystery quilt was from the internet...I cheated...I looked at the finished product and loved the design so picked fabrics from my stash for it.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:50 PM

I think mystery quilts are fun and if you don't like the quilt there is always someone out there somewhere that will love it!
Old 10-22-2010, 07:06 PM

I love mystery quilts and have done a lot of them.I have been happy with the results.