Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Name of a pattern >

Name of a pattern

Name of a pattern

Old 09-06-2023, 06:25 AM

Default Name of a pattern

Followed a Pinterest picture of a quilt to here on The Quilting Board. It was a thread entitled "More Charity Quilts" and dated 10-25-2011, the arthor posted pictures of about 5 quilts she had made for charity. I'm interested in the last photo of the Panda Bear quilt. The pattern name is rolling around in my brain, and now on the tip of my tongue, but won't come out. Can anyone tell me the name? I'd love to add it to my list for charity quilts also.
Is this a Maple Island pattern? BQ something or other?

Last edited by lindaschipper; 09-06-2023 at 06:29 AM.
Old 09-06-2023, 06:43 AM

I think this is the quilt in question, not coming up with a pattern name

https://www.quiltingboard.com/attach...ent-277008.jpe

Let's see if the link works!

Yay! link worked How I see to make that is you have your squares of novelty fabric, then you have strips of the black and white cut to the length of the novelty fabric, and squares of the green.which equal the width of the black/white strips. I would assembly as columns going down, placing the black edges along the novelty fabric.

One of my clear as mud descriptions, In our move we did not take my old printer/scanner -- happens that hubby is looking at options as we speak.

Hopefully someone can find you better directions/diagrams.

Last edited by Iceblossom; 09-06-2023 at 06:48 AM.
Old 09-06-2023, 07:01 AM

I tried a google image search but no results in the pattern, some similar and a lot of pandas!

Looking at it a bit more, I do see the block, it is the Large novelty (Panda) fabric with the black/white bars on either side and the small green square. So say your panda fabrics were 8" (finished,8.5" cut), the black and white strips would be 2" wide by 8" long (finished, 2.5x8.5" cut, and your green square would be 4" (finished,4.5 cut). Then the finished blocks are just twisted around to make the layout.

Maybe it is one of the 1, 2, or 3-yard patterns?
Old 09-06-2023, 07:04 AM

Looks like it may be a variation of a "topsy turvy" quilt. Perhaps from this book - https://www.ebay.com/p/27014407184?iid=114542171171 A couple of other ones to check https://www.frontporchquiltshop.com/...-x60839382.htm and https://www.fabriccafe.com/product-p/090932e.htm
Old 09-06-2023, 07:22 AM

This looks to me like the BQ3 quilt pattern, from the BQ family of patterns (there were 5 a few years ago, there may be more now).

A search of 'BQ quilt pattern' will probably bring up images of all of them. I looked at a lot of google images when I was considering this pattern. I found that the fabric choices and block arrangement could yield an amazing number of looks.

edit

Although, maybe not, as I see your pic doesn't have angled pieces.
Attached Thumbnails imgp7305-2-_fotor_fotor.jpg  

Last edited by joe'smom; 09-06-2023 at 07:24 AM.
Old 09-06-2023, 08:06 AM

One of these? The last pic is pandas...
https://www.quiltingboard.com/vbulle...s-t163225.html

The poster is Quiltaddict

Last edited by 1CharmShort; 09-06-2023 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-07-2023, 03:33 AM

1Charnshort....yes...that is the link I followed. Read on the comments and she was asked twice what pattern she had used but never gave a reply. I"m still looking for the pattern to make Project Linus Quilts.
Old 09-07-2023, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper View Post
1Charnshort....yes...that is the link I followed. Read on the comments and she was asked twice what pattern she had used but never gave a reply. I"m still looking for the pattern to make Project Linus Quilts.
All the quilts look like "3 yard quilts", which is what Fabric Cafe does. I would email a photo to the folks at https://www.fabriccafe.com and ask them about the pattern. I would guess they have it and it's in one of their booklets. They answer emails.

bkay

Last edited by bkay; 09-07-2023 at 05:37 AM.
Old 09-07-2023, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by Iceblossom View Post
So say your panda fabrics were 8" (finished,8.5" cut), the black and white strips would be 2" wide by 8" long (finished, 2.5x8.5" cut, and your green square would be 4" (finished,4.5 cut). Then the finished blocks are just twisted around to make the layout.
I think the only other thing you might want to consider is plan two versions of the block - one right side up and one upside down to make sure your novelty fabric is always appropriately oriented (toss fabrics might not be such an issue but anything directional could be tricky). Nice find from the archives! :-)
Old 09-07-2023, 06:29 AM

I was looking through some pages I had cut out of magazines, and this looks like Out of the Box by Christa Watson. This pattern was in American Patchwork and Quilting, December 2018. It's also in the book Piece and Quilt with Precuts.
Her version looks so different from your photo - she used a lot of white background.