Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Name this quilt block!

Blog Entries

Name this quilt block!

A friend got these pieces at an auction and we are trying to figure out what quilt pattern these would go in to. The pieces are all triangular in shape. I at first thought just a plain ole triangle quilt but then I noticed if you tried to piece them together, some of the triangles would be upside down.

Any ideas????
    Attached Images Attached Images
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Blog Entries
    I don't really think that there is such a thing as an 'upside down' triangle, unless the print it the fabric makes it so. I would just piece them in rows.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Just lay them out and put them together like a jigsaw puzzle and see what you get.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    I don't really think that there is such a thing as an 'upside down' triangle, unless the print it the fabric makes it so. I would just piece them in rows.
    If we just piece them in a row, won't one block have the points going up and the next block have the point going down? My friend doesn't live near me so I cant physically get my hands on the blocks. I am a very visual person!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Looks like it could be a pyramid. Go to Betsy Telfor-Goodwin's Rocky Mountain quilts. I saw a Roman Bar Pyramid that looks similar. they eventually square up.

Power Poster
    ​Might be Thousand Pyramid blocks?

No clue, I would try to just put them together.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    If we just piece them in a row, won't one block have the points going up and the next block have the point going down? My friend doesn't live near me so I cant physically get my hands on the blocks. I am a very visual person!
    Each of your triangle blocks consists of 9 triangles. 6 of them face one way, 3 face the other. Even within a block, some face up and some face down. You could put the blocks together all by themselves, or your could alternate your blocks with solid fabric triangles.

I agree with dunster. hugs

It's like 1000 pyramids, but with the small triangles stitched into a larger triangle, those are often set off by a large triangle of similar color.

There are several setting suggestions here: http://www.quilterscache.com/T/ThousandPyramidsBlock.html
    They can be used for the individual triangles, or they could be used for the triangle blocks that you have.

This search shows at least one with blocks similar to what you have.
    http://images.search.yahoo.com/searc...ilt+variations

There is a different name for the variation that you have, but I don't remember off-hand what it is. I was thinking sugar bowl, but that doesn't seem to be it. I think I saw it recently in an historic quilt in a magazine, not necessarily the most recent magazine.

Found it!! It's a sugar loaf quilt, an antique design. look near the bottom of the page at http://inklingoprojects.blogspot.com/2009_01_01_archive.html

Why not use a large triangle of a solid color between the pieced ones and put the solid one upside down to make a row. Just a thought.

It looks like the blocks with the solids on the inside should be turned upside down and alternated with the blocks that have the solids on the outside. Doesn't look like you have equal number of each type so you would have to make more blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    Each of your triangle blocks consists of 9 triangles. 6 of them face one way, 3 face the other. Even within a block, some face up and some face down. You could put the blocks together all by themselves, or your could alternate your blocks with solid fabric triangles.
    I just googled "sugar loaf quilt" and that is the way it is put together. Pieced blocks alternating with solid blocks.

You quilters never cease to amaze me. No matter what pattern is being search for, someone always finds it. I don't know how you do it.
    jean

I have a hand pieced vintage top made with this block. they used muslim as same sized setting triangles. I love the top. Has old adorable old Aunt Grace prints mixed with others. It is very thin, so I have just draped it over old wicker corner shelves.

Blog Entries
    Looks like some kind of pyramid quilt. When you get it all put together,it will be pretty! Go for it!!
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook at Leesa's Fabrics

Name the block? How about "Hazardous Waste?" It looks exactly like the symbol for hazardous wastes in hospitals.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    Don't know pattern but if you put 6 together you can make a hexagon.
    Finished is better than a UFO