Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
naming my quilts OMG it's hard >

naming my quilts OMG it's hard

naming my quilts OMG it's hard

Old 04-26-2012, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
Not sure why you guys name quilts?
Every quilt you make, no matter how humble you may think it is, should be labled for posterity. At the very least they should contain the makers name, the year of completion and the town or state you live in. Many quilts carry names as well this has helped future generations know the names of quilt patterns as many just named them what they were, such as "log cabin" or "ohio star". Imagine, we would know absolutely nothing about the Jane Stickle quilt (Dear Jane quilts) if Jane had not bothered to label it. Curators would only be able to guess at the age and origin of the quilt. Because Jane labled it we know the maker, where it was made and that it was pieced during the civil war. You may think your creation is simply a utility quilt made to be used and "loved to death" but it may just survive the ages and become an hierloom handed down for many generations. If you don't name your quilts you should at the very least label them. I just think naming is a nice extra touch, just like an artist will often title or name a painting. We are all artists and our canvas and paints are fabric and threads. I think it is nice to name a quilt, just as you would name a painting if you were a painter.

Edited to add:, Think about how many posts we see here on the QB of someone finding a vintage quilt at a thrift shop or auction and asking if we knew the pattern or could we date it based on the fabrics. How cool if everyone labled their quilts so finds like this in the future could be described to other people who find interest in old quilts.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 04-26-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by fallonquilter View Post
Is there a wed site or ? I can go to that has lots of names to choose from so I could find names that fit my quilts. Thanks so much- I am so not good at this! GOD BLESS

Embrace your quilt in your mind--------------look at it as a child. I'll bet a name comes to you.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Every quilt you make, no matter how humble you may think it is, should be labled for posterity.
Just to clarify, my understanding of what the OP was asking was what names we come up with for our quilts, NOT whether to label them or not. I label every one of my quilts, and as I said before, I don't have a problem with calling them what they are, such as Log Cabin or Pineapple. To take your comment further, if we each made a log cabin but came up with different names for it, then it would be very confusing for future generations!

If it's an original design, go ahead and name it. If it's a Carpenter's Wheel (for example), here's an idea of what could be written on the label: "Superduper Name" made by Mary Smith, adapted from Carpenter's Wheel, New York 2012.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I don't name them either. They wouldn't come if I called them, so why bother?
My feelings exactly!
Old 04-26-2012, 11:22 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Just to clarify, my understanding of what the OP was asking was what names we come up with for our quilts, NOT whether to label them or not.
Yes but my response was not to the OP but to AZ Jane who didn't understand why some of us even name quilts. I was trying to offer a reason as to WHY we would name quilts and naming goes hand in hand with labeling IMHO. why bother to name if you aren't going to put an identifying label on?

Regarding the confusion to future generations this could be a very possible reason why so many of the old quiltblocks we know are known by 3 or 4 different names.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:38 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I always name my quilts. I bought some fabric and a pattern in Austin TX and made a flag quilt out of it and it's name is "Flag over Texas" and my other Texas quilt is "Hearts from Texas". I have "Flower Power" for one I gave my daughter, etc. I love naming them. To me, it's part of the process.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:19 PM

I lable my quilts but mostly just put the pattern name, date, made by........... and if it's especially for someone I put that on the lable, re: name, occasion, and date. I have named a few. I made a single irish chain, and appliqued pots of flowers in the blank spaces for my DGD for graduation. I named it "Bouquets For Amanda" date etc. I do think naming is nice. But, to each his own.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:53 PM

because I am entering a couple in a local quilt show and they asked for the name of my quilt.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
My feelings exactly!
I need a name for a quilt show otherwise I don't think I would go to the trouble either. But I always label them
Old 04-26-2012, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by fallonquilter View Post
I need a name for a quilt show otherwise I don't think I would go to the trouble either. But I always label them
I've seen people on here post their quilts and ask for suggestions as to names, so that may be an idea if you find yourself stumped. I have a hard time naming mine sometimes, too, especially if there aren't any special circumstances surrounding them, but sometimes it's required and I have to come up with something. (Usually, my own ideas sound silly to me, but I have to go with it! ha)
It's good to know that "here on the board", there is a lot of creativity and expertise to draw on!

Last edited by pacquilter; 04-26-2012 at 01:42 PM.