Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Need help with pattern Idea! :)

Need help with pattern Idea! :)

I'm making a memory quilt for my Mother-in-law with some of my Father-in-laws Hawaiian shirts. I had orginally thought of using the Shadow box pattern (the rectangles of focus fabric that look like they are floating on the background). But I'm unsure. I really don't know what color I would use for the background, maybe beige? I would love to hear some ideas.
    Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Power Poster
    I think Shadow Boxes would be a great pattern to do with the shirts. It is a nice sized blocks so the big prints would show nicely. You could do the shadow in a dark blue and the background in a soft gray or white? Since all the shirts in the picture are in blue, gray, lavender palette I would keep to the cool colours. Warm Wishes is another pattern that would look nice but not as good as the Shadow box in my opinion.

I agree with tartan.

My Shadowbox

Just a picture of one that I recently did. I prefer a more stark white for the background and solid black for the shadow. It is a simple but stunning pattern and easy to modify
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    When I first looked at the pic I was thinking a dark blue also You might also try purple to see how it looks with your colors ?
    To keep your mind fresh- learn one new thing a day !

Blog Entries
    I think the tanwould look really good with your blues. I might be tempted to do the shadow in black though
    fatquarters

I'm anxious to see what you do. Be sure to post a picture of the finished quilt.

I think a light grey blue for the back ground then a dark slate blue for the shadows. Then I would find a tropical green print for the border! I love the idea. Good Luck! Luann in CT
    Live Love and Laugh Enough!

Blog Entries
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Thanks everyone! Hopetoquilt, that is a beautiful quilt! and it is exactly the pattern I was looking for. I went to the library and picked up Colleen Wise's book, Casting Shadows, and it didn't have the pattern in it so I guess I will just have to wing it.
    Crafterrn1, I love the idea with using the different color blues. Looks like I need to wack off the arms and take them to the fabric store for an audition.
    PaperPrincess, that is a very cute quilt.
    Thanks again!