Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
National Quilting Day, March 20, 2010 What are you doing? >

National Quilting Day, March 20, 2010 What are you doing?

National Quilting Day, March 20, 2010 What are you doing?

Old 03-20-2010, 02:16 AM

I am going to take care of my husband who just had surgery w/plate and screws in his arm (fell down on the ice) and work on the Susan G. Komen Walk for the Cure Quilt which takes place in St. Paul in August. Our local drug store will display my completed quilt and raffle it off the day after the race. Last year it made over $1,500. Hope to do better. I am making a Sampler Quilt. Have around 16 blocks completed out of a total of 35. It is keeping me busy and all the while I am working on it my brain is ciphering the whole quilt design out and by the time I am done I will know what the sashing and backing will be. You never get bored with a sampler! I am also making one for our granddaughter's high school graduation. This one is a coverlet with 15 blocks. And while I am doing all this, I will be cleaning, cooking, letting the dog in and out, and listening to the best book by Wally Lamb "The Hour I First Believed". That is my National Quilting Day plan. Happy Day! Edie
Old 03-20-2010, 02:39 AM

Yard work!!! Over here you to need to take advantage of any nice weather to get things done outside before the dreaded blackflies come out and send you in!!! Lots of clean-up from last storm. Some trees had to be cut down and the yard is still full of limbs and such. Already have started my seeds for the veggie garden!! Hope this year is better for my tomatoes!!

Getting my new machine next week and want to play with it!! The weather isn't suppose to be as nice so I won't feel guilty. Could have gotten machine today, but no time to play with it, it just would have been a tease having to look at it!!! :lol: :lol:
Old 03-20-2010, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
Yard work!!! Over here you to need to take advantage of any nice weather to get things done outside before the dreaded blackflies come out and send you in!!! Lots of clean-up from last storm. Some trees had to be cut down and the yard is still full of limbs and such. Already have started my seeds for the veggie garden!! Hope this year is better for my tomatoes!!

Getting my new machine next week and want to play with it!! The weather isn't suppose to be as nice so I won't feel guilty. Could have gotten machine today, but no time to play with it, it just would have been a tease having to look at it!!! :lol: :lol:
Are those the huge flies that bite so hard? We get those later in the summer. I am buying seeds now. Mainly flowers. I am going for a yellow, orange and red designed garden (easy - marigolds, zinnias, cosmos (the little ones) and Sweet Alyssum for the border (white). I got some green pole beans to put on an obelisk and put right in the garden and some yellow wax beans to make Dill Beans with. They are very good! You can even make them with green beans. I make them all year round, actually - you don't even have to can them . Back to my National Quilting Day festivities - I am going to finish a block before breakfast. Edie
Old 03-20-2010, 02:57 AM

I will be quilting something today don't know what yet. I am getting ready for a retreat in April have a lot to cut out for my Hanky Panky Pattern we are going to do. I may hand piece it.
Old 03-20-2010, 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by erhausfrau
Originally Posted by sewcrafty

Are those the huge flies that bite so hard? We get those later in the summer. I am buying seeds now. Mainly flowers. I am going for a yellow, orange and red designed garden (easy - marigolds, zinnias, cosmos (the little ones) and Sweet Alyssum for the border (white). I got some green pole beans to put on an obelisk and put right in the garden and some yellow wax beans to make Dill Beans with. They are very good! You can even make them with green beans. I make them all year round, actually - you don't even have to can them . Back to my National Quilting Day festivities - I am going to finish a block before breakfast. Edie
The ones that your thinking of are horseflys, blackfiles are these teeny tiny little blackflies that come out in hoards. They also bite. They fly in your ears, up your nose, in your eyes and my God don't open your mouth!!! :lol: :lol: They're worst than mosquitos! When you do go outside during this certain time hundreds will fly around you, when you're just trying to get to the car nonetheless doing any yard work!

Actually, I haven't started any of the flower seeds yet. I also have the alysuum to start and the marigolds to put around my lillies so that the deer will stop eating them. The deer just bother this one flower bed and everytime a fresh new lily is getting ready to bloom - GONE!!!! I like deer and am willing to share my property with them - but LEAVE MY FLOWERS ALONE! :lol: :lol: Your flower bed sounds like its going to be really pretty!
Old 03-20-2010, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
http://nqaquilts.org/

this is the link to the National Quilting organization website
I went into this site and printed out the free pattern they are offering. It is a tree with a "yellow ribbon tied around it". If you know anyone who has someone serving in the armed forces......it would be a wonderful gift for them.

As for me, I am starting the day by taking my "finally finished" red, black & white quilt to the quilter to be machine quilted. OMG......give me those lap quilts or wall hangings........no more of these biggies!!

Enjoy your day everyone.........MaryJane
Old 03-20-2010, 05:25 AM

My machines are gonna be ------SMOKIN'!!
Old 03-20-2010, 05:26 AM

Not going anywhere since we are having a big snow storm here in Edmond, Oklahoma. If the bubble in my eye (from eye surgery) doesn't interfer with quilting that is what I'll be doing.
Old 03-20-2010, 05:42 AM

Did some quilting waiting for DH to get up, now on to some yardwork. DH will be gone all afternoon so will definitely be quilting some more then.
Old 03-20-2010, 06:03 AM

Was going to build chicken coops but its snowing!!!!!!!!!! I am so very sick of winter. Happy 1st day of Spring!!!!!!!
I guess I will get to sew today if i can get motivated.