Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: National Teacher

Blog Entries

National Teacher

Our guild is looking for a national teacher to come. Do you have any favorites? Someone used the term "Ricky Timms experience"... do you know what that would be? If you don't have a favorite teacher, do you have a comment on a topic or style that would appeal to most? TIA for your input.
    Cheryl, hiding away in my quilting studio

Power Poster
    It might be helpful to have a poll of what they are interested in seeing. Machine quilting, appliqué, piecing, modern or a new technique......

Ricky Timms is famous quilter known for his designs and the On Line "Quilt Show" with Alex Anderson. Not sure if he even does individual guild presentations/seminars. If he does I am sure you would pay a premium for it. Here is a link to his website to learn more and see that he already does have a pretty full schedule with his own retreats and seminars at National shows
    http://www.rickytims.com/

As Tartan mentioned, you should try to find out what the interest is. Many Nationally known teachers offer trunk shows which is a lecture and show and tell and they offer classes that in addition to a fee for coming the individuals attending will also have to pay a class fee. Some great quilters that come to mind are Sharon Schamber and Diane Gaudinski. Many guilds will do a combined thing with the lecture/trunk show for all guild members and fee paying guests to enjoy and then follow up with a one or two day class that members will have to sign up for and pay an additional fee.

Perhaps this link will help you in your search. It really boils down to what the general interest is for the event like Tartan stated.

http://www.karencombs.com/quilt_teachers.htm

Eleanor Burns is a wonderful teacher. She is in person as she is on TV. I've had several classes with her and have dined with her several times when she was at Quilts around Chautauqua. Her trunk shows are great.
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

Joe the Quilter is very entertaining...
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

Blog Entries
    The pricing for national speakers/instructors is all over the map. We had Bonnie Hunter come to our guild. Trunk show and lecture one night, followed by an all day workshop the next day. She limited her workshop to a small number of students, and the tuition was reasonable. Ricky Tims, however, needed the guarantee of a whole lotta people, and the ticket price was high. Well, too high for me, but I hear he was amazing. It is lecture style vs. hands on class.
    I agree with trying to get a feel for what the majority of members are looking for. Every state has nationally known teachers. If you start there, you may be spared the additional travel expenses.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

A good place to find teacher is a t quilt shows. Some have booths marketing their patterns. You get the opportunity to see their work before asking about classes

For piecing, my first choice would be Charlotte Angotti, followed by Debby Caffrey. Karen Kay Buckley would be my first choice for applique, followed by Pearl Pereira (sp?). If you have members who are interested in the Singer 221 Featherweights, the Chicago World's Fair of 1933 or antique quilts, I suggest Nova Montgomery. If there are any large quilt shows in your area, you can check the list of teachers. Remember, though, that most nationally known teachers are usually booking one to two years in advance.

Blog Entries
    I saw Paula Nadelstern at a guild in th Hamptons. She brought fabs with her that were not to hit the stores for 4 months.. We got first shot at them and I got some pretty fabs from her. she was down to earth and a lovely person.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

The national quilters for my guild programs are booked several years in advance. Some took over four years to get booked. Laura Wasilowski is a great speaker with wonderful program and workshops.
    Last edited by Onebyone; 12-16-2015 at 11:00 AM.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Depending on how much you want to spend, you might look for some "national" teachers who live in your area (your area being a couple hundred miles). Sometimes if you look at some of the more local people you can find some really good ones and not pay the big name price for them. Sulky threads also offers seminars that are interesting and informative. They have a lot of educators and so might not be as expensive.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

If we knew where you are located it might be easier to make some recommendations.

Marsha McCloskey is my favorite teacher. Unlike many newer teachers, she doesn't use technology to teach. Her specialty is feathered stars, but the class that I took from her, when I was a new quilter, taught me so many basics that I use on every quilt that I do.

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    The pricing for national speakers/instructors is all over the map.
    I agree with trying to get a feel for what the majority of members are looking for. Every state has nationally known teachers. If you start there, you may be spared the additional travel expenses.
    I couldn't have said it any better. Most of the speakers are not my cup of tea at the local quilt guild.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I would love to do class with Annette Ornelas from Southwinds Designs , Stunning work , great teacher , so creative.

Blog Entries
    I love the classes from Michelle Watts
    Patski
    always learning

Blog Entries
    Hollis Chatelain came to our guild and did a workshop too. Fantastic!

Our guild, Ladybug Quilt Guild in Newark, DE, had Hollis Chatelain. Last year we had Ricky Tims and Alex Anderson do a 2 or 3 day seminar/class and it was wonderful. We pulled people from Washington, DC, Maryland, New Jersey and Pennsylvania because it was within driving distance and many stayed overnight. The seminar cost each of us $189 and it was 3 days. He covered so much, Alex too, they had their own quilts hanging, and then sold their own dyed fabric. Once the show was over, they gave our chapter some reimbursement and gave out other gifts. But I don't know how many were in attendance, maybe 250 or so. Well worth the money. I would do it all over again. Just wonderful.
    We also had Karen Kay Buckley who was wonderful. Our guild has about 200 but not all come every meeting, but if
    something is going on or if we are taking a bus trip say to Jinny Beyer's in Va., we will open it up to another chapter and then to guests. I think we are going there in April plus somewhere else near her place. Look into any near you, and go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilt30 View Post
    If we knew where you are located it might be easier to make some recommendations.
    I agree. We can get fairly good pricing on some teachers in our part of the states from those who live neaby. Especially if they can arrange to do other lectures/classes/trunk shows, or if they are going to be at a quilt show
    nearby. It saves on the travel expenses.
    Each national quilter is different. One may help you out if they have family nearby ... and so it goes.
    Again, you may have to schedule out more than a year.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Where are you located.

We recently had Mary Fons come to our guild & she was fantastic -- so funny & really great about providing basic instruction & then giving each attendee at the workshop advice targeted to their specific quilt-in-progress. Of course, I've seen videos of Ricky Tims & I think he's also really funny and a great instructor. Those two would probably be my two favorites, but admittedly, I'm more interested in going and enjoying myself and the process of making a quilt than in learning 300 new tips and completing an entire quilt top by the end of the day. Both of those quilters interject wonderful stories along with instruction that breaks it up and makes it not feel so much like I'm back in Home Ec class.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    I saw Paula Nadelstern at a guild in th Hamptons. She brought fabs with her that were not to hit the stores for 4 months.. We got first shot at them and I got some pretty fabs from her. she was down to earth and a lovely person.
    My guild also had Paula at in Rochester, NY. She was wonderful, gave 2 all-day classes and a program at our guild meeting and the price for the workshops was very reasonable.....
    Life is Good!!!