Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: Necchi 1951 machine

  1. #1
    Plain Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    230
    I was in thrift shops today looking for fabric (no joy) but I did find and buy an old Necchi sewing machine. The owner's manual says 1951. The owner of the thrift shop assured me it works fine and it has the box of attachments. I paid $25 for it. I have never heard of a Necchi before. Is anyone familiar with it? A Singer Featherweight, it definitely is not...more like a heavyweight. But maybe that means it is built to last.

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    1,043
    My Mom had one and it was a work horse. I loved it, my sister took it to Alaska. :cry:

  3. #3
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,838
    My first sewing machine was a Necchi. I don't know about other's experiences, but it was probably made in the '70's and it didn't last long for me:< Clunked out and was cheaper to get a new machine than fix. I think the older ones like what you purchased would be better built(as the older ones all seem to be).

  4. #4
    Power Poster Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    12,952
    Blog Entries
    1
    The old Necchi's are supposed to be very good. Sounds like you got a good deal.

  5. #5
    Super Member Pam H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,122
    I bought one in 1980. Great machine. I recently gave it to my daughter and I am regretting it. Might ask for it back.

  6. #6
    Marion Jean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Leland, NC
    Posts
    302
    I used my mom's Necchi when I was in high school, mid '60s. Had cams that you would insert for fancy stitching. it was a heavy metal machine in a cabinet. My mom gave it to me years later and, like a fool, I gave it away. wish I had it back (:

  7. #7
    Plain Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    230
    Thanks, I'll post a photo if I can. I figured for the money I couldn't go too far wrong. If I don't use it I can pass it on to someone else.

  8. #8
    Senior Member vjengels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    892
    I have a Necchi, I love that thing!

  9. #9
    Plain Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by vjengels
    I have a Necchi, I love that thing!
    Is it a new one or an old one?

  10. #10
    Junior Member jumpin' judy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cedar Hill, TX
    Posts
    202
    My mom traded in her FW for a 1955 Necchi. It was a workhorse. I used it until my DH dropped it on the floor and cracked the housing. Forced me to by the Janome 6500 :P

  11. #11
    Power Poster CarrieAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Whitewater, WI
    Posts
    26,038
    I bought one at a yard sale for 3.00! I love it, works great. Its probaly from the early 80s.

  12. #12
    Super Member bjchad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Southern New Jersey USA
    Posts
    1,473
    My mother bought a Necchi in the mid 60's and made all her and my clothes for years, no decades, on it. It still runs. Great machine!

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    679
    Hi,

    I have a Necchi that my parents bought for me in the 60's. Can't remember the exact year, sorry. It is in a cabinet, has all the cams. I like it a lot and plan on keeping it.

    I bought a newer computerized portable machine that I could take to quilt meetings and classes. It is a Euro Pro. I got it on sale at half price with a payment plan and really like all the bells and whistles that it has.

    They are very well built machines and will last a long time as the inside parts are made with metal which is why they are so heavy. The newer lighter machines are made of plastic which has the potential for wearing out and breaking after a period of time.

    You made a good find and a wise purchase.

    Pam

  14. #14
    Super Member AliKat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    2,943
    I have my old Necchi. It seems to be all metal. It is still a workhorse. I made clothes for us on it and it has a maximum power level for doing upholstery. I still use it for heavy upholstery work. It has moved quite a fair bit and is like new.

    You got a good deal.

    ali

  15. #15
    Super Member blondeslave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Airmont, NY
    Posts
    3,229
    That's what we used in our home ec class in high school a million years ago.

  16. #16
    Super Member Stitchnripper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Mableton, GA
    Posts
    9,797
    I have a friend with a Necchi about that age and she loves it.

  17. #17
    Super Member cabbagepatchkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    1,786
    Congratulations on your find. Is this your first vintage machine? If you are interested there is a Necchi Yahoo group. You will be able to learn lots of info from the members.

  18. #18
    Plain Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
    Congratulations on your find. Is this your first vintage machine? If you are interested there is a Necchi Yahoo group. You will be able to learn lots of info from the members.
    It is my first vintage machine! That would be great, I have to figure out how to use it and I'm sure I need lots of info.
    My mom died on March 2. Though she never quilted, she made beautiful clothing on her old Singer. I told my dad NOT to get rid of it. I think she got it back in the late forties or early fifties. I don't know how I'll get it here from Texas, but I'll manage somehow. It's amazing what she did with just a straight stitch. I miss her every day.

  19. #19
    grugirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Graham, WA
    Posts
    373
    Necchi's Rock. They are Italian Made I believe and my mother swears they are one of the best machines she has ever used. I have a Necchi story.

    Found a Necchi on CL. There was a phone so I called. Left two messages over 2 days, no response. Hmmm. I was bummed. It said it was a brand new Necchi never used for only $150.00 and was 10 years old.

    A gal calls me the third day and says I have been leaving messages on her machine about a sewing machine I want to buy, but she doesn't have one for sale. Hmmm...

    So, I decided to email the person that posted it cause apparently they had mistyped their phone number for contact.

    I email and the phone rings that night.

    It is an 80 year old man that still has the machine. Mind you in the meantime I had done my homework and found many of this brand and model number online are 899-1000 buckeroos.

    I asked him where he got it and why it was never used.

    "I bought it for my wife about 10 years ago in Arizona. A new college was opening and when some of their funding got cut, the sewing program got cut. But they already bought the machines and decided to sell them brand new, never opened in the box for 1/2 price."

    He said the original price was somewhere around $900. He bought it for $450. His wife never knew how to sew and they kept saying they would send her a video and never did so she never learned to sew on it. It sat in the box in a closet for 10 years. I told him I wanted to buy it.

    I drove the next day, picked it up and it was so brand new, that the little piece of paper that they put under the foot when they ship was still there. The bag of tools that was sealed when a machine arrives had never been opened. It was in its original box, all the tools, in perfect condition. Needed a good oiling and I was off.

    So, I got a $900 Necchi for $150 bucks brand new. It sews like a DREAM.

  20. #20
    Super Member quiltmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    In Hiding
    Posts
    1,227
    Hope this helps:

    http://www.necchisewingmachines.org/...-machines.html

    http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,890021,00.html

    Some of those vintage Necchi sewing machines were considered the Maytags of the sewing world!

  21. #21
    Super Member cabbagepatchkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    1,786
    Quote Originally Posted by grugirl
    Necchi's Rock. They are Italian Made I believe and my mother swears they are one of the best machines she has ever used. I have a Necchi story.

    Found a Necchi on CL. There was a phone so I called. Left two messages over 2 days, no response. Hmmm. I was bummed. It said it was a brand new Necchi never used for only $150.00 and was 10 years old.

    A gal calls me the third day and says I have been leaving messages on her machine about a sewing machine I want to buy, but she doesn't have one for sale. Hmmm...

    So, I decided to email the person that posted it cause apparently they had mistyped their phone number for contact.

    I email and the phone rings that night.

    It is an 80 year old man that still has the machine. Mind you in the meantime I had done my homework and found many of this brand and model number online are 899-1000 buckeroos.

    I asked him where he got it and why it was never used.

    "I bought it for my wife about 10 years ago in Arizona. A new college was opening and when some of their funding got cut, the sewing program got cut. But they already bought the machines and decided to sell them brand new, never opened in the box for 1/2 price."

    He said the original price was somewhere around $900. He bought it for $450. His wife never knew how to sew and they kept saying they would send her a video and never did so she never learned to sew on it. It sat in the box in a closet for 10 years. I told him I wanted to buy it.

    I drove the next day, picked it up and it was so brand new, that the little piece of paper that they put under the foot when they ship was still there. The bag of tools that was sealed when a machine arrives had never been opened. It was in its original box, all the tools, in perfect condition. Needed a good oiling and I was off.

    So, I got a $900 Necchi for $150 bucks brand new. It sews like a DREAM.
    That is an awesome story!!!!

    Plain Jane....come on over to the Vintage Sewing Machine Shop. It's in the Virtual Section of this forum. Here is the link:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/virtual...jsp?vsnum=1013

    You need to be aware, though, that once you get your first vintage machine it will not be your last :twisted: There is some sort of illness that is very contagious, called SMAD (sewing machine addiction disorder) that you will soon find yourself afflicted with....hahaha!!!

  22. #22
    Plain Jane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    230
    So sad. Just tried to use my "new" machine and the needle didn't budge. :( So much for the assurance that it worked great. I'll try to get my money back from the thrift shop tomorrow.

  23. #23
    Super Member quilt addict's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Plain Jane
    So sad. Just tried to use my "new" machine and the needle didn't budge. :( So much for the assurance that it worked great. I'll try to get my money back from the thrift shop tomorrow.
    I would not take it back. It probably just needs some oil since it has been sitting so long. The oil has dried up in places. Billie in the vintage machine store that was posted above will give you all the help you need to get the machine running. It should be very easy.

  24. #24
    Power Poster Prism99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Western Wisconsin
    Posts
    12,952
    Blog Entries
    1
    Does the needle move if you turn the hand wheel? Or is the machine completely frozen?

  25. #25
    Super Member whinnytoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    1,244
    I have 3 of the 1951 Necchis and use them every day. They will run forever, you cant kill em! Best machine Ive had.... original price was $550, that was alot of money in 1951. I will never part with mine and if I see any in yard sales, they will come home with me for sure!!
    Awesome machine

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.