Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Necessary Quilting/Sewing Tools in Multiples

3 of everything mentioned. would be nice. dozen of sew of reading glasses.
    ​debra

Blog Entries
    As my guild has at least one sewing day every week. I have a go "tool box" full of duplicates that I keep in my vehicle at all times. Because I never forget to load my machine (but have forgotten the foot control on more than one occasion), I keep a spare foot control in my go bag as well. Fortunately, our Extension Office has a large supply of mats and rulers, so it isn't necessary to transport those items. No wonder I prefer a van -- I am the proud owner of a travelling sewing room.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
    If I only had one VERY good organizer then I wouldn't be looking for my spare ones..or maybe it should be if I were organized....
    Sounds like me.

I just had to buy 3 "that purple thang", my fav for turning out and poking out corners.......now I can't find that little metal thing with all the small measurements on each part.....1/4", 3/4", 1/2" at al.......so it looks like my next trip to JoAnn's with coupon in had will be several of those things. I have bought multiples on many of the "small" things we use, cleaning brushes, small scissors, purple thang, bobbins (can never have enough of those), ......and a few more I cannot think of at this moment, but always reach for when busy sewing.......and it better be there!!!!

Blog Entries
    Pin holder! (cushion, box, sleeve) Never can find one when I need one!
    Debbie Dresser

I seem to be able to keep up with everything but the 6" ruler with slide. I have 3 and am often trying to find just 1. I have multiples of many things; but that little ruler is the only thing that can't seem to stay in its assigned place.

Blog Entries
    All of the above and I also have three pair of these Easy Kut spring Action Scissors near my sewing machine while I'm working.

http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...on+scissors.do

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Quote Originally Posted by mighty View Post
    Ditto I also am a multiples user
    I have to agree with Jan and the rest .. I have multiples .. Maybe there is a therapy group we can all join? LOL
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Scissors, pin cushions ( I have multiple magnetized dishes), thimbles, cheater eyeglasses, rotary cutters, emery boards, air erase markers, fine tip sharpies, pencils, and M&M's!!

You all are making me feel so good! I have multiples of multiples. It seems as if the tool/tools that I need at the moment are always "in hiding". It does not help that my DD uses my machines and tools when she comes over either. But that is my excuse, it is DD's fault!
    Sweet Caroline

annthreecats
    they are my favorite scissors at each of my machines. I have given them for gifts and the girls realy like them.

suzy

Quote Originally Posted by normasews View Post
    As I desperately search for my seam ripper, it occurs to me that I should have more than ONE seam ripper in my sewing space since mine always seems to be hiding.

What other tools would you consider having multiples of in your sewing/quilting room?
    Norma
    It sounds like a great idea---but it doesn't really help. I have or 6 seam rippers and I'm still always searching. lol

Seam ripper- fasten the top of a marking pen to the side of the machine to hold it. Small scissors on a piece of elastic fastened to the sewing machine cord. That way it can't hit the floor and is easily reeled in. Saves MUCH frustration. What my mother called the "open hand" policy seems to happen with other tools - open your hand and the tool drops in that place. ;-)

Sadly, all of the above! Now if I could just find multiples of my brain.....

Two things that come to mind are the little Omni rulers that are 1" X 6". I have about a half dozen of these because they are so handy for check seam allowance and I have several pair of small (ie 3.5") Gingher scissors.
    Anne P
    Kindness counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    scissors
    seam rippers,
    rotary cutters
    needles of all kinds
    sharp pens
    rulers (2-3 each of my faves)
    marking pencils
    bobbins
    spools of my preferred piecing thread
    cutting mats (4-5 sizes)
    pin cushions
    design walls
    rolling desk chairs (2)
    sewing machines (open and ready to sew - 3)
    work tables

Hello, my name is Jan and I'm a "multiples" user, LOL!
    Very complete list

I use the tiny embroidery scissors for a ton of jobs including seam ripping so I have 3 pairs in areas where I cut, sew, or rip. I'm careful to always put them back in their spot so they don't get lost.

I bought a large kitchen tray, like you would keep your silverware or cutlery in. I keep it right beside my sewing machine and cutting board. When I use something, I have learned to put it back in the tray. It helps so much, but requires self-discipline to avoid the searching frustration.
    As far as multiples, I keep a duplicate set of all the basics I use constantly in a travel kit to take to workshops and retreats. It was so frustrating to get there and realize I'd left something important at home.
    Karen in Kentucky

Reading glasses!
    :-)
    CAS

I just thought of something, my husband, because he always finds everything I lose that I can't see even when it's right in front of my face. If he was multiple he could be at work and here to help me! He also helps with seam ripping. He feels sorry for me sometimes because I do so much of it! He has helped cut tons of triangles and is also my sous chef and knitting assistant. Hey, if I could have multiples maybe I could rent him out! The cute thing is he is a big ol' auto mechanic with calloused thick skin and no fingernails, but he still tries to help with the delicate stuff.
    :-)
    CAS

I agree with Jan, multiples never seem to be a waste in my house.

Oh My YES!! I have dupes and trips of things I can't bear to part with.
    Pat
    pat design

Blog Entries
    Funny this question just came up 'cause I'm looking for my 24" long 6'" wide ruler. Any know where it might be?

I cleared off my ironing table and cutting table to prepare a quilt for quilting and somehow the ruler disappeared.
    It will turn up somewhere!

The best organizer I have for pencils, pens, note pad, protractors, 1/4" rulers and seam rippers, etc. is a plastic make up holder. It has individual slots for lip sticks and eye liner, shadow and such. It holds all my pencil like tools and small note tablets, my chalk pounce machine screw drivers and that sort of stuff. after 12 - 13 years it still holds up.

The other great keeper of small things is a divided silverware holder. Scissors, cutters, sharpener, masking tape, calculator, all keep nicely in one spot.

I don't like to put stuff in drawers. I can never find anything in the one that is in my studio.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    When the mail lady came today, she looked up at me and then down at the mail in her hand and nonchalantly said "Do you have enough glasses on your head?" I felt the top of my head and there were two pair plus the ones on my nose. How dumb did I feel. I started laughing and so did she! So, I guess I would have to say I don't need multiple glasses. I just need to know where to look for them.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

sap
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasureit View Post
    If I only had one VERY good organizer then I wouldn't be looking for my spare ones..or maybe it should be if I were organized....
    not because I have to, but from habit (my little sister is blind) I always put things up n away when I was done, to keep her from getting hurt when she was a baby. all these years latter I' still putting things back where the belong.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast