Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Neck and Back hurting while quilting.... >

Neck and Back hurting while quilting....

Neck and Back hurting while quilting....

Old 07-20-2014, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
The best thing to do is make an appointment with a physical therapist. A PT can show you the solution to lessen your pain. If you ignore the pain it will get worse in a shorter period of time. You will give up quilting too soon!
That's exactly what I'm doing now. Besides working on my neck in therapy, he gives me a couple easy exercises to do at home.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:08 PM

I know what you're saying -- having two cervical spine surgeries, one of which was a reconstructive procedure, and back surgery just a little over a year ago. I cannot emphasize enough that you need to get up and move around every hour or so. Don't stretch the time to two hours either. Sitting in one spot so long is very detrimental to anyone who has neck and back pain. And yes, I have had numerous spinal injections, etc., as well as physical therapy. Furthermore, I still work full-time (I'm 69) and, until I had back surgery last year, I was a volunteer on the ham radio team of Emergency Management. I am no longer able to spend anywhere from one to four days in a shelter, sleeping on a mattress on the floor! If I got down on the floor on a mattress, I wouldn't be able to get back up! LOL! Besides, I've done that for 15 years.

When you have pain, your body is talking to you -- you have to take care of yourself -- that 10-15 minute break (or even less) will serve you well --- you just have to get up and move!

Jeanette
Old 07-20-2014, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Gladys View Post
Lately my neck and back hurts more and more when hand quilting or machine quilting. Does anyone else have this problem and what have you done to help it? I've read and practiced all the posture suggestions but still have problems.

Seems like I read somewhere about an adjustable back weight that would help. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.
I have arthritis in my neck which can come from sewing. I went to PT and with massage it is so much better!
Old 07-21-2014, 04:15 AM

Relax your shoulders, only quilt for about 20-30 minutes at a time and take a break.
Shrug your shoulders do this 5 times in sets of 10, it helps.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:33 AM

I too have to make myself get up and walk around. Otherwise, i get stiff!
Old 07-21-2014, 05:38 AM

I have a degenative back disease plus osterporis so this is my world, no matter if I stand or sit for a long time and even a short time. I do alot of stretching excercises which helps the most plus at work I take at least one flight of stairs each time I go up or down. Its hard because I'm also on siezure meds so that makes my legs week. The part of my back that is effected causes problems in my hips and legs so sometimes I can barely walk on top of the soreness. I still do the stairs no matter how much pain I'm in. I use roll on medication (since I'm single) like Icy hot, salonapas, etc. When it is bad I take mobic if the problem is in my skelatol part of my back or flexeril for the muscles and the Tylenol didn't help. The best thing is the excercises and stretches. I used to go to a chiroprator on a weekly bases but that got to expensive when I became single. Unfortunetly few insurances cover them.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:51 AM

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I will follow up on the ones I haven't done. Glad to know I'm not alone!
Old 07-21-2014, 01:06 PM

I have neck and back pain too, in fact I had neck fusion about a year ago, and I find getting up and moving around is the best advice. I get real sore if I sit at my desk too long too.

I also eliminated some things from my diet that were causing inflammation, like gluten, milk, sugar and alcohol and I don't have as much pain as I used to. I can have the last three in moderation, but found gluten REALLY flames me up. When I got rid of that about six months ago I got rid of about 80% of the pain.

I forgot to mention, I usually end up with a hot pad behind my shoulders if I sew too long, resting on my recliner.