Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice on fix >

Need advice on fix

Need advice on fix

Old 11-09-2013, 05:57 PM

Default Need advice on fix

I am hoping to get some advice on the best way to fix this. I was so upset to find it, but happy to have caught it before I gave the quilt away. I am thinking I need to rip the binding out, then resew it. Any other ideas? Any thing I need to be aware of? I'll take any advice I can get.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails quilt-defect-1-640x480-.jpg  
Old 11-09-2013, 06:00 PM

I would open up binding to fix it. If you have any extra fabric, maybe sew a piece on top to hide in the binding but to give you something to grab without fraying. You may also want to use fray check for the raveling but test first as some times it bleeds. Good luck!
Old 11-09-2013, 06:33 PM
Power Poster

I have had this happen too!! Carefully take out the binding. I would strengthen the unraveling fabric with a little lightweight fusible interfacing then try your best to restitch it. GOOD LUCK and be patient, take your time.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:36 PM

The best advice I have for you is to also unpick it on both sides of the frayed part so you can sew it again where it is frayed. You will be happier with it if you re-sew it.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:44 PM

Thank you for your ideas and support. Fray check! Good idea, I didn't think of that.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:27 PM
Power Poster

​I would remove the binding on that side, trim the whole side a bit and put the binding back on.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:56 PM
RST

It looks like you have some applique on this quilt? Any chance you could work a bit of applique so that it covers the frayed area? Another idea would be to make this an opportunity to design a neat tag with some custom embroidery or layered ribbon in coordinating colors to the quilt -- store bought items have tags in prominent places, so yours can too. Make it look like you meant it. Those would be my first ideas for a fix.

I hate ripping bindings off, specially after a quilt has been washed. I think the risk of it not looking not quite right after re-binding is fairly high, so if neither of the suggestions above works, I would probably carefully pull the quilt top material to toward the binding, possibly use fusible web to hold it, and then gently turn under the frayed area and take tiny stitches to almost invisibly tuck it under neatly. If I was still worried about fraying, I would use matching thread and do some interesting embroidery, like an area of cross stitche or blanket stitch.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:24 AM

Yes, it has already been washed and I wondered about the success of taking the binding off. I have never done that....1st time for everything, right? I did think about the applique, but since the appliqued flowers are in rows rather than random, I didn't think it would look right. But I might go that route. Thanks all!!!!
Old 11-10-2013, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

I just fixed one like that. I'd not caught the raw edge when sewing the binding down. I ripped out a section, pinned and re-sewed.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
I just fixed one like that. I'd not caught the raw edge when sewing the binding down. I ripped out a section, pinned and re-sewed.
Especially if this to be gifted....you don't want to just "cover" your mistake....you want to fix it the right way....JMHO