Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
i need advice...how to fix this >

i need advice...how to fix this

i need advice...how to fix this

Old 02-02-2011, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

so---heres the story---i made this quilt for 88th birthday of
my hubby's grandma, who lives in a nursing home...she loves the quilt and proudly uses it, and shows it off :D
the hanky under the pot of flowers was one of my grandma's...they new each other (and delivered each other's baby's) my grandma passed away 15 years ago...so i'm so glad to have this grandma...
anyhow...she tends to -scootch--- her bottom across the top of the quilt when she's getting up...Mother-in-law (confiscated) the quilt last visit...wigging right out about some of the flowers curling up-coming loose in spots...nothing i thought was horrible bad, but some stitching is (loosing its grip)
so...after some study i created all new flowers and fused them over the old flowers...needed freshening up anyhow...and i plan on sewing them all done...but was wondering
i kept thinking i need something to put over it (like tule?) before stitching it down, so when she scootches she does not do this again---any suggestions? i don't know how tule would work...i don't want to (dim) the vibrancy of the flowers...would nylon work? i need it to be washable...but want to put some sort of (protective cover) over the bouquet...
any thoughts?
heres a couple pics...the whole quilt and the bouquet that's being a problem...

the whole quilt- well most of it
[ATTACH=CONFIG]153079[/ATTACH]

the bouquet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]153080[/ATTACH]

another close up of the center
[ATTACH=CONFIG]153107[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-153074.jpe   attachment-153075.jpe   attachment-153102.jpe  
Old 02-02-2011, 08:39 AM

How about trying a sheer voile fabric
Beautiful quilt I see why she shows it off.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:41 AM

I am no help, but what a beautiful quilt! I am sure there will be come good ideas coming soon.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:46 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Restorers use a product called "crepeline" for purposes like this. It's a bit expensive. Here's a link http://apps.webcreate.com/ecom/catal...roductID=25380

Jan in VA
Old 02-02-2011, 08:51 AM
cjr

Beautiful. Love the pansies. Have you thought about putting ties on it so it can be tied to her wheel chair. That's what I did for my Mom's quilt
Old 02-02-2011, 08:51 AM

You quilt is beautiful. I'm a grandmother, will you adopt me. lol
Old 02-02-2011, 08:55 AM

How gorgeous! No wonder you want to protect it. Hope you find a solution for the problem.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

she does not use the quilt with her wheel chair... she walks with a walker...the quilt fits her bed and is always on it...but she sits on it all day long...and scootches her butt along to stand up...hense the problem. i checked out the web site mentioned...and will keep looking for product i can get in the usa...really don't want to spend a huge amount on a fix...i don't mind fixing it when it comes back to me...this is the 3rd time it has been brought back to me (for different reasons) the first time was right after i gave it to her and she carried it folded up on her lap everywhere...and during crafting she cut 2 holes in it...fixed those and told her she had to keep it on her bed, it wasn't a craft blanket....
then one of the aides tucked it under her matteress and it got caught on a spring...and ripped...fixed that...and now the flowers coming loose...i bet it has been washed weekly for the past 2 years-she turns 90 in march---so i guess all in all it's holding up pretty well. thanks for the suggestions.. i think i need to visit hobby lobby or joannes and see what i can find...i thought about using liquid stitch, but it dries so (hard)--- any other ideas?
Old 02-02-2011, 09:19 AM

It looks like the floral area isn't machine quilted. I know quilting might detract from the gorgeous look you achieved, but it should make it stronger. If you quilted around the flowers, they'd stand out and look like that was your intent.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:30 AM
Power Poster

the flowers are not quilted yet...i just fused them on at work...but planned on doing that when i get home...i really thought i should put something over it before i quilt it again.
Originally Posted by irishrose
It looks like the floral area isn't machine quilted. I know quilting might detract from the gorgeous look you achieved, but it should make it stronger. If you quilted around the flowers, they'd stand out and look like that was your intent.