Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need advice on large negative space >

need advice on large negative space

need advice on large negative space

Old 08-29-2018, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Monale View Post
Love that spiral quilting! Is that done FMQ or with a walking foot?
Monale the quilting was done with my walking foot.

mtkoldra, I would trim the bottom of the top and add to the top of the quilt so the piano is central to the quilt like my motif was. You could add more pp notes to the new top section too. With the piano in the centre it will become your focal point. It would balance the negative space and I don't think it is necessarily too much of it if you quilt it appropriately....it will just compliment your piano IMO, but the quilting is the key. I think the quilting needs to be "simple and repetitive" to achieve your goal. If you decide to do anything complicated or too patterned it will, by the sheer amount of it in all the negative space, detract from the piano. Once again, just my opinion, not necessarily the right one! I'm sure you'll work it out and end up with a beautiful quilt.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:06 AM

How about one more treble clef to put in the 4 corners and recreate the keyboard as a border?
Old 08-30-2018, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I would do something like this replicated throughout the background

https://www.freepik.com/premium-vect...=2&position=27
I love this idea.
Old 08-30-2018, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by ruby2shoes View Post
Monale the quilting was done with my walking foot.

mtkoldra, I would trim the bottom of the top and add to the top of the quilt so the piano is central to the quilt like my motif was. You could add more pp notes to the new top section too. With the piano in the centre it will become your focal point. It would balance the negative space and I don't think it is necessarily too much of it if you quilt it appropriately....it will just compliment your piano IMO, but the quilting is the key. I think the quilting needs to be "simple and repetitive" to achieve your goal. If you decide to do anything complicated or too patterned it will, by the sheer amount of it in all the negative space, detract from the piano. Once again, just my opinion, not necessarily the right one! I'm sure you'll work it out and end up with a beautiful quilt.
I agree with this. Remove some of the background fabric from the bottom, add it to the top and place the musical notes around the sides and above the piano.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:24 PM

I would add a few more things maybe some smaller notes coming out of the piano, and maybe a base clif. Not a lot just a few, quilt with a light weight thread matching the background. Don’t forget to Sid too and just do a stipple in the background. Also if this makes sense just quilt a 1/2” interior border 4 to6” in from the outer edges to give your stipple a boundary then do a piano key outer border to finish. This should give texture without overpowering the real effects. Good luck
Old 08-30-2018, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Freckles48 View Post
What about musical notes placed randomly?
How about music staffs? They can be straight or curved. You could even put actual notes on it to music the recipient likes.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:36 AM

after reading your suggestions and comments I change the layout of this quilt, it is still work in progress but I think I will stick to the stars. there will be another dark border, then gray and will want to finish with a piano border, just to make the size I want this quilt to be. Thank you all.
Attached Thumbnails piano-.jpg  
Old 09-01-2018, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

The second border looks nice.

IMO, the outside border could be left plain -

How much larger do you want this to be? What do you want the finished size to be?

How did you decide to deal with the fraying edges of the center applique?
Old 09-01-2018, 07:21 AM

Hi, thanks for you questions. I want this quilt to be about 80 x 90" and still figuring out how I am going th achieve it. For frying edges I went over with the botton hole stitch using tear of paper under. I think that it work well.

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
The second border looks nice.

IMO, the outside border could be left plain -

How much larger do you want this to be? What do you want the finished size to be?

How did you decide to deal with the fraying edges of the center applique?
Old 09-01-2018, 09:44 AM
DJ

I like your new layout, but thought the treble cleff signs were great. Could they be added into sides of the border?

It's going to be a wonderful quilt!