Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice on machine quilting (stitch in the ditch) >

Need advice on machine quilting (stitch in the ditch)

Need advice on machine quilting (stitch in the ditch)

Old 08-20-2010, 08:26 AM

I agree with making sure your bottom layer is taped down taut for no SID puckers. Also I try to alternate directions when stitching.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

Starting in the middle and alternating directions will help your quilt lay flatter and you shouldn't get puckers either.

I like to use a wobble stitch. It is a very narrow zig zag stitch. It reinforces the seams, as the needle takes a bite on both sides of the seam.

It is very forgiving, if you miss here and there, too :wink:

Varigated thread is wonderful on scrappy quilts :D:D:D
Old 08-20-2010, 09:00 AM

It seems like a few of you are not in favour of SID. This is my first time trying to machine quilt. Is SID a recommended method for beginners to machine quilting? If not, what would be another fast and easy technique? As mentioned, I'm not ready to do free motion quilting. My stitches look horrible! haha
Old 08-20-2010, 09:02 AM

Hi Amma

When u mentioned "alternate directions", do you mean that I SID 1 row down, then up again? Or do you mean to say that I shd SID from top to middle, then turn the quilt 90 degrees to sew in the other direction?
Old 08-20-2010, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by quiltbugs
I wouldn't use the nylon thread. To me, that stuff is a pain in the you know what.
Erm, this is the first time I'm working with nylon thread, which was why I'm worried if it would work well for me. Can you share on the pitfalls of using nylon invisible thread?
Old 08-20-2010, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I am an SID-er. So far I have used the invisible thread on one quilt. Did not like the way it handled. It took forever to trim all the pokey little ends. Can't remember if there was a problem with tension.

Are you standing the spool UPRIGHT? I actually put mine in a cup as a spool holder.
Not all invisibles are created equal. Some handle better than others.

I switched to a "regular" thread in the top and bobbin. Sometimes I match color, sometimes I don't. On my scrappies, I often go with a variegated thread in the basic color line. Granted, in the ditch you're not supposed to see the thread - but some of my quilting is more along the "meander around the ditch" and I don't mind seeing the multi-color thread.

I would test the embroidery thread on a potholder to see how it feels and handles.

I roll my quilt and start approximately in the middle (that is on the top of the center line) working one side in that orientation. Then I turn the quilt, roll the other side and SID the rest.

Now I find that the success in SID depends largely on a good sandwich. (So go make yourself a PBJ -lol) Seriously, I tape the backing fabric real taut with painter's tape and layer the batting and top with great care to smooth out all the puckers and any excess. Then I pin baste no less than hand-width apart. Last 2 quilts did not have any SID puckers in EITHER direction. I was pleased as punch!

I also take many breaks when SID-ing. Tired eyes AND tired shoulders can lead to the quilt being pulled out of the ditch. (Of course, more than 2 glasses of wine have a similar effect. lol)

Have fun.
What type/brand of invisible did you use? I'm using the ones from Sew-Art. Is that a good one to use?

As this is the first time I'm trying out SID, I'm worried too abt staying right on the seams, which was why I'm considering using invisible over cotton thread. Would you suggest that I stick to cotton as a beginner? I know cotton is definitely easier to handle.

When you say "a variegated thread in the basic color line", which colour line are you referring to?
Old 08-20-2010, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by Aunt Retta
I am finishing a baby quilt and I stitched about 1/8 of an inch outsidethe seam. I really like how it looks!
Are you hand or machine quilting? Seriously I love how hand quilting looks, but as I'm working on a single quilt this time, it's gonna be tedious!
Old 08-20-2010, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vivientan
It seems like a few of you are not in favour of SID. This is my first time trying to machine quilt. Is SID a recommended method for beginners to machine quilting? If not, what would be another fast and easy technique? As mentioned, I'm not ready to do free motion quilting. My stitches look horrible! haha
SID provokes too much anxiety in me while I am doing it (keeping eyes glued on seamline), plus I'm bothered by the inevitable deviations from an exact straight line.

My favored method is to use a walking foot (feed dogs up) and simply guide the quilt to make wavy lines. With a walking foot you can guide the fabric to the right and left to make gently curving lines. These lines can be done in one direction only (always working from edge-to-edge) or in both directions to create cross-hatching. It's easiest to work top-to-bottom first, then side-to-side; however, if you're comfortable sewing on bias (and have heavily starched everything) you can also do cross-hatching on the diagonal.

Whatever machine quilting method you use, I advice starching as much as possible before starting. Starching stabilizes the fabric so it is less likely to stretch and distort and minimizes the chance for puckers. I like to *heavily* starch the backing fabric before layering. The top can be spray starched before layering. If the sandwich is already layered, even just spray starching several times (using a large flat sheet to catch any overspray, and no ironing) helps prevent puckers.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:51 PM
Power Poster

I have done a number of my first quilts using stitch in the ditch and they have held up just fine. I used clear thread once and didn't like it. For a scrappy quilt I would use variegated thread.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by vivientan

What type/brand of invisible did you use? I'm using the ones from Sew-Art. Is that a good one to use?

As this is the first time I'm trying out SID, I'm worried too abt staying right on the seams, which was why I'm considering using invisible over cotton thread. Would you suggest that I stick to cotton as a beginner? I know cotton is definitely easier to handle.

When you say "a variegated thread in the basic color line", which colour line are you referring to?
Hm, I don't recall which brand of invisible I used - been a while. But there are other threads on invisible threads - just use the search function.

Do you by chance have a SID foot for your machine? I have one for mine and it makes quite the difference. It actually has a guide down the center of the foot - looks a bit like a plough that runs down the seam.

Another suggestion for a better SID is pressing the seams on the back to one side. That is easier said than done though.

As for the cotton thread - it is my preferred thread. I acknowledge that I am far from perfect, so if the thread shows - it shows. I don't mind.

Variegated thread comes in many different color lines. If my quilt has lots of red in it, I pick a variegated that includes lots of red. I generally look at the colors in my quilt and pick a spool that has those colors in it.

The big deal for me was to give myself permission to just go for it and sew with cotton thread - EVEN IF the thread was slightly off the ditch.