Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice on machine quilting (stitch in the ditch) >

Need advice on machine quilting (stitch in the ditch)

Need advice on machine quilting (stitch in the ditch)

Old 08-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Here is a close up pic of my first quilt I did on my Brother, it is a small machine. I just gently moved the quilt back and forth. It's not perfect but DD loved it and snatched it up. If you decide to do something like this then turn your machine so that it is sideways with the needle side facing you then you won't have to fight to move the quilt thru the arm.
Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-100779.jpe  
Old 08-20-2010, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Starting in the middle and alternating directions will help your quilt lay flatter and you shouldn't get puckers either.

I like to use a wobble stitch. It is a very narrow zig zag stitch. It reinforces the seams, as the needle takes a bite on both sides of the seam.

It is very forgiving, if you miss here and there, too :wink:

Varigated thread is wonderful on scrappy quilts :D:D:D
Can you post a picture of this for us to see your "wobble" stitch?
Old 08-20-2010, 10:56 PM
Power Poster

This is a very useful thread...I am a beginner machine quiltmaker too....thanks for raising this and giving so many helpful tips.
Old 08-21-2010, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Here is a close up pic of my first quilt I did on my Brother, it is a small machine. I just gently moved the quilt back and forth. It's not perfect but DD loved it and snatched it up. If you decide to do something like this then turn your machine so that it is sideways with the needle side facing you then you won't have to fight to move the quilt thru the arm.
Hope this helps.
Is this done with a walking foot or free motion? For such wavy lines, do you mark your quilts or just move the quilt along?
Old 08-21-2010, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter

Hm, I don't recall which brand of invisible I used - been a while. But there are other threads on invisible threads - just use the search function.

Do you by chance have a SID foot for your machine? I have one for mine and it makes quite the difference. It actually has a guide down the center of the foot - looks a bit like a plough that runs down the seam.

Another suggestion for a better SID is pressing the seams on the back to one side. That is easier said than done though.

As for the cotton thread - it is my preferred thread. I acknowledge that I am far from perfect, so if the thread shows - it shows. I don't mind.

Variegated thread comes in many different color lines. If my quilt has lots of red in it, I pick a variegated that includes lots of red. I generally look at the colors in my quilt and pick a spool that has those colors in it.

The big deal for me was to give myself permission to just go for it and sew with cotton thread - EVEN IF the thread was slightly off the ditch.
What's an SID foot? I only have a walking foot and darning foot for quilting.

Will variegated thread look good just for SID or will it be fine if we quilt designs on the scrap quilt too?
Old 08-22-2010, 07:29 AM

When using "invisable " thread I use the smallest needle I can , this helps the bobbin thread from popping back to the top. Also the thread used makes a Big difference , not all "invisable"are created equally. I get mine from Superior or HomeSew. I have had the best luck with the invisable thread from HomeSew ( I did not even have to adjust the tension using a 70/10 needle).
Old 08-22-2010, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by dungeonquilter
I STID on my son's quilt. The fabric wore out, but none of the seams ever came apart. When using monofilament thread, you need to loosen the top tension alot. The top thread is pulling up the bobbin thread. Practice on a scrap sandwich until you get the right tension.
Could depend on the brand of monofilament. Gutermann's seems very thick where as the .04 mil brands (eg:Coats) work super well. With normal thread in the bobbin, I don't even have to change tension at all!

I love SID!

Good luck!
Old 08-22-2010, 08:39 AM

I just took a photo of my quilt top and thought it would be easier if I post it up. So should I use invisible, variegated or grey thread? I hope to be able to decide soon and start working on my quilt. :D

[IMG]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/DSC03769.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...s/DSC03771.jpg[/IMG]
Old 08-22-2010, 09:13 AM

I'd go with tan or gray. Never has to exactly match and is fine if the stitches show. Invisible works well for me but I often wish I'd used "normal" thread after its done! Don't sweat it! Try a few short lines on a longer stitch (in case you want to remove it) and see what you like best.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:17 AM

New to SITD. Do we backstitich when we start and end the stitching? I know this is usually taboo in quilting but I'm concerned about it coming apart. Thanks