Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Need advice on Notions

If you're like me you'll need 'all things plastic'!

currently living outside of nashville, tn
    a magnetic pin holder is necessary for me. I use mine as I remove the quilter safety pins when quilting. Saw a darling idea on on the web (here's a link that JJean shared: http://luannkessi.blogspot.com/2010/...ncushions.html - there are other links posted if you search "magnetic dish" ) where you can make your own. Purchase a small vintage dish or saucer from an antique-y store and glue a couple of magnets to the underside of it. I plan on doing this for my sil as part of her birthday gift. And one for Moi while I'm at it. :-)

Please note that these should not be used too near a computerized sewing machine. I keep mine an arm's length away (hope that's far enough! so far, so good.)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    Hate to say it but a seam ripper will come in handy. Are you machine or hand sewing? Needles, pins, scissors. A good beginners project would be a cute pincushion which will also come in handy. And the most obvious - fabric.
    I have the magnetic pincushion, round - keeps those pins where they should be. Also, a magnetic wand to pick up those pins if they happen to fall on the floor. Get that at Harbor Freight. I have a little mug to put in my needle nose plier, my orange stick, pencil, marking pens, etc.. a small container with hand lotion,and my favorite - the Omni Edge. It is an 18x3 lined ruler with a little catch across the top that catches the edge of your cutting mat. It is a godsend, my audiobooks and the telephone - (don't want to get up while I am busy). That's it for me! I think - or unless I find something new to play with. Edie

My seam ripper is my best friend!! LOL

There's a gadget called the "purple thang" that is akin to a stilleto. It's plastic so it won't hurt your machine when trying to catch the bobbin thread, guide fabric, etc.

Everyone else's suggestions are great so can't add more for notions. But, (isn't there always a "but" :-) )one of hte handiest things I have is a tool holder from Joann's. It's canvas, about 6" x 8" x 8" tall, and has lots of pockets. I keep it right nesxt to the machine so I can easily grab those tweezers, screw driver, little brush, etc.

I love my June Tailor Shape Cutter, they have ones that have 1/2 inch slots and 2 1/2 inch slots. I have the 1/2 inch slots, it's much more usable for me.

I second a good seam ripper, sharp/thin pins and bent safety pins. Those are pretty obvious items that I use all the time. My other favorite notion is a good pair of fine point tweezers. I use it to pull threads tightly (when I am trimming) as well as pulling stray threads (when I've ripped seams out). I have only one pair so when I lose them in all my clutter and NEED them, I am searching frantically for them. I got mine in a quilt shop so they are not like eyebrow tweezers.

Blog Entries
    A magnetic pin cushion and spray basting. And a vintage Featherweight sewing machine. Treat yourself to any book by Eleanor Burns.

A magnetic wand has saved me a few times. I Hand quilt on the sofa and a lost needle can create havoc (or pain)

Blog Entries
    do you have the address for scissor sharping from Ginghers?

Blog Entries
    Definitely need a 12X12 square ruler, its invaluable for squaring up your blocks. I use my stiletto ALL the time, so useful to have. I also agree about the small tweezers, I bought them on a whim as they were on sale and find myself using them all the time for various things. Get a small 2X6 ruler too, its good to have for small trimming jobs

One of those little finger sweaters that keeps your finger from being burned when your ironing...my next purchase for sure. I hate steam burns.

I use only a couple tools.
    sewing machine
    mat
    rottary cutter
    6x24 ruler
    nice pair of scissors
    iron

I own a 12.5x12.5 ruler it hangs out in the drawer. I also have a 6.5x12 ruler it rarely gets used. I bought a circle cut template to make a quilt. Used it the one time its hung out in the drawer since. I think my sister is going to use it to make circles for her sons bedroom walls so it MAY get used again. I cut triangles with a square/rectangle ruler that is marked with 45 or 60 degree marks.

Blog Entries
    do you have the address for scissor sharping from Ginghers?

My suggestions would be a good basic quilt book. Fons and Porter have one which to me is the altamite. If you want to try applique get Becky Goldsmith and Linda Millagans book The New Applique Sampler (learn to applique the Piece O'Cake Way. With those two books and this board you are set to go.

Blog Entries
    Looks like we all have different favorites. Hopefully we' ve given you enough suggestions to get started and discover what your own favorites will be. Have fun on your new adventure. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

The address for Ginger is: Ginger, Inc. 322-D Edwardia Drive Greensboro, N.C. 27409. You must send 7.50 with you scissors and they recomend that you insure you shipment. They will pay postage to return you scisors to you.

+A good pair of snips,Gingher.Go to a hardware store or walmarts car (?) section for lots of good stuff to make it easier & less expensive .

Quote Originally Posted by bsktkeeper
    +A good pair of snips,Gingher
    I love my ginghers, HOWEVER....do not let them get cold (ie don't set them on a window sill that has a draft while hand sewing in your favorite easy chair lol). They will swell a little and stick as you are trying to cut. Once they get back to the temp that they like they will no longer stick but it is a PITA when you are trying to snip a little thread and they stick.

Ask me how I know this. I ALMOST returned a brand new pair for this exact reason. lol oops.

Please don't forget to have sticky notes nearby, just to remind yourself where you are! Also, I keep a box of zip top baggies nearby, mostly to keep things together if I am called away from my project. Have fun, and don't forget to keep on, keeping on!

For those who do their own quilting I found the greatest little tool for pulling those pesky threads back into the batting. It is called "Snag Magic" and the only place I found it was Nancy's Notions. I bought them for all my quilting group for Christmas

As you begin to quilt more you will find other things that you need. Since you pretty much have the basics I would wait until you have a need before buying other things.

Blog Entries
    I have a bunch or 60 inch plastic measuring tapes all over, I find them very handy for measuring quilt tops, large lengths of fabric, etc.

I also like an after market box to store my feet in. It's made by Bernina, which I have and it holds their feet, extra bobbins, walking foot and other accessories really well, it's a small footprint on my sewing area, has several drawers. I got it on E-bay (or fleabay as DH Calls it).

Quote Originally Posted by bluteddi
    I agree... unforunately my seam ripper gets about as much use as my machine.....sigh
    :thumbup: Sad but true. However, one positive thought....Every time you have to rip you "know you've learned a valuable lesson".

With regard to starch, I advise using Mary Ellen's Best Press - it dries right away and never gets white flecks on your fabric. I know if I waited until it was dry
    I could avoid the white flecks but it's just not in me to wait.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast