Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice for 'quick to teach' beginner projects.... >

Need advice for 'quick to teach' beginner projects....

Need advice for 'quick to teach' beginner projects....

Old 12-09-2010, 10:07 AM

When I started a class for "newbies", we did a quilt, then another, and another. Then we decided to make placemats. If we had done the placemats first, I don't think anyone would still be coming. They didn't like the small pcs and the length of time to get a small "prize". Sometimes the beginner needs to see something finished so they can feel that first sense of accomplishment. The placemats we did had a LOT of little pieces and took quite a while to just get cut out. Just a thought, sometimes smaller isn't always simpler, or quicker. Good luck with this endeavor, No matter what, if they have fun they will be happy!
Old 12-09-2010, 11:15 AM

With nine weeks, you would make this sampler quilt. I'd much prefer finishing a class with a complete quilt than a bunch of potholders. This is a great book and easy enough for a beginner. Check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/First-Quilt-ML...1922070&sr=8-4
Old 12-09-2010, 11:21 AM

A rag quilt would be a good project. 2-3 layers of flannel, blocks all cut to one size, sewn together with a 1/2 or 3/4" seam. Once all the sewing is done and the edges are clipped, wash & dry and you have a finished quilt.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:48 PM

I have taught the braid Runner (table Runner() for begginers. It is a quilt as you go. They will learn 1/4 inch sewing, cutting, accuracy, color choices, binding, & hand sewing (for the binding). it is important to give a supply list. Each person should know how to use the basics on their machine. It is straight sewing and they will feel great at accomplishing something.
The other project I taught was the tossed nine patch, by Eleanor Burns. It is simple and goes quickly. Will also learn alot of basics.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:12 PM

I just started teaching my two future DIL's to sew their first project was coasters, potholders and pillows the next one made a bib and recieving blanket and started a teddy bear and the other made a lap quilt with a panel and borders and a pillow, Next lesson we will tie the quilt. They had a real good start and only 2 afternoons.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:17 PM

A field trip to a quilt or fabric shop would help explain a lot and I suspect will get creative juice flowing. The pot holders are a great idea, so is a simple table runner
Old 12-09-2010, 03:51 PM

I agree with all of the replies so far but I do think that everyone in the class needs to be making the same project. I taught my grandaughter and her friend to quilt in a weekend. We had a blast. I got a book for young people to start quilting and we went from there. It was simple but they both had quilts for their dolls when they went home.
Old 12-09-2010, 04:08 PM

In our shop we have started with a set of quilted place mats with matching napkins, and also a small trip around the world, approx. 36' x 36" done with 2 1/2 " strips sewn then cut down. Both have worked great for people that had hardly any sewing knowledge as well as no quilting knowledge. The students have walked out feeling a sense of accomplishment and pride.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:29 PM

I'd be doing a disappearing nine patch pattern for a quick, easy quilt. Patterns like it show people how easy it is to make something that looks complicated, in an easy way. It is more interesting than pot - holders to me. One can buy a pot holder in the Dollar Shop...but a nice, personalised lap quilt would be good.
Old 12-09-2010, 05:35 PM

I teach a Learn to Quilt course at my LQS. I'd suggest a good book for beginners like Alex Anderson's Start Quilting. Each chapter tackles a different aspect for the new quilter, beginning with selecting the right tools. With their own copy of the book, students can read up at home, or reread after you've taught a chapter. The books can be obtained quite inexpensively from Amazon used online.

I have also learned that it is much easier for you and less frustrating for the students if all in the class make the same pattern. (I think there are 7 or 8 quilts in this book.) One great thing about everyone making the same quilt is that when you are done, everyone can compare to see how colors, shades and tints work effectively in overall quilt design.

Now, I do have to say that, imho, Harriet Hargrave's University series is far better for the serious quilter, but Alex Anderson's book is good as an introduction that is not too complicated. Hargrave's books focus on how to increase accuracy and that can be tough for newbies. Her quilts in the books may also be a bit advanced for beginners although the directions are wonderful.

If you have specific questions about how to organize or teach the class please PM me and I'll help as much as I can. Good luck and don't be afraid...if you love quilting, people will pick up that enthusiasm from you.