Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need advice on special project >

need advice on special project

need advice on special project

Old 04-28-2010, 12:21 PM

I visit a (grand)mothers/children meeting with my grandson regularly and just found out that the lady running it will have her first baby in October.
As I am the only one with a sewing machine (I dont dare say quilter) there is no way that all the mothers are sewing a block that I could put together as a quilt. So I was thinking of making Handprints of the children on blocks with their name. Did somebody ever did something similar and do you have any ideas with what other blocks it might become maybe a babyquilt for her baby?

Granny
Old 04-28-2010, 01:16 PM

Keep it simpleand use muslin squares, whatever size you decide, and then write the names on the same block. I would then put sashing down each row and aorund the edge and tie or macine quilt it lightly. Sounds like you need a simple solution. I have done many like this and although easy they are beautiful when done.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:18 PM

PM to azam (in the user list), because she did one like that for her grandchild's teacher, I believe.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:35 PM

Here is one done by a board member for Kennedy Joiner.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-24772-1.htm
Old 04-28-2010, 01:54 PM

If you use acrylic fabric paint it will stay on and yet still be soft. It also cleans up easily and isn't too expensive. I've done it on teepees that I've made. I put the paint on styrofoam plates, spread it out and let them put their hands in it and press it onto the fabric. You might have to help little ones, they don't want to flatten their hands. Make sure you have a lot of extra squares because there will be several that don't turn out right. Since you're doing the sewing and providing the fabric why not have each mother pay for a bottle of paint. Pick the colors you want to work with, write them down, put them in a hat and let them draw a color out. That way everyone will be really involved in it. You could also tie it and have everyone help at one of your meetings.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Pam

Your blocks will come out better if you press freezer paper to the back before painting or signing.
Old 04-28-2010, 04:01 PM

I did one for a teacher that was leaving the area once. The paint blocks turned out beautifully, I used a separate block of the same size to separate them. I chose a school print to make the extra blocks out of. She loved it and it's still holding up nicely. If you are doing it for a baby quilt, I'm not sure how the paint will hold up with lots of washing. You might be better tracing their hands with a pigma pen...
Old 04-29-2010, 01:14 AM

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH. I will keep all the tips in mind and i might go for a wallhanging then.
The one with the applique hands is great but I am afraid it will be too complicated. I was searching the board for similar quilts but did not find any.
Maybe I searched with the wrong keywords?

Granny