Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice/suggestions! >

Need advice/suggestions!

Need advice/suggestions!

Old 01-12-2014, 02:36 PM

Default Need advice/suggestions!

I have taken on a project of making "memory quilts" from my husband's grandparents clothes. Since I have to make seven, I'm going to do lap quilts. I was able to get some sweatshirts, jeans, and two or three t-shirts. I have a few questions... Hopefully you can help!!! 1- Do I need "heavy duty" needles for the denim? (Levi's) And if so, won't the heavy duty needles leave "holes" in the t-shirts? 2- Since the clothing used will vary in weight, will the t-shirts need backing? I looked on various websites, a couple say to use a backing and a couple say it's not needed.

Fabric will have to be incorporated into the quilts due to making seven.
I'm really excited and nervous to make these. I've made a few quilts, but none with the weight difference, or even block size difference. If you have any suggestions / advice, I'm all ears.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:49 PM

Since you need 7 finished projects and don't have a lot to work with, have you considered pillows? That would eliminate the need to use such widely varied fabrics in one project.

In answer to your other questions. Denim generally sews better with a denim needle. The "holes" in the T shirts will close up after washing. T shirts usually work better in all projects when backed with some type of interfacing to prevent stretching when sewing.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:28 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
Since you need 7 finished projects and don't have a lot to work with, have you considered pillows? That would eliminate the need to use such widely varied fabrics in one project.

In answer to your other questions. Denim generally sews better with a denim needle. The "holes" in the T shirts will close up after washing. T shirts usually work better in all projects when backed with some type of interfacing to prevent stretching when sewing.
Would the denim needle cut the threads in the T shirts? I've never sewn on T shirts but thought you had to use a ball point needle.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:29 PM

You might consider tying the quilts rather than "quilting".
I'd probably back the t-shirts with lightweight fusible interfacing.

Bless you for taking on this project. I'm sure each family member will love what you create.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:37 PM

How about memory bears. Teddy bears made for hugging made with loved ones clothing.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:43 PM
IQ2

Since you have to make seven, maybe you could use the different fabrics in different projects...one all denim, one all t-shirt, etc. Those may be less stressful to work on and still be meaningful to each recipient.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:54 PM

Dunster, I'm far from an expert, but I've never had a problem sewing T-shirts with regular needles. I tend to hem them because my daughter is short wasted and I just use whatever needle is in the machine.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:18 AM

I just made a memory quilt in Dec using shirts and khaki/chino pants. I used an 18 needle, regular point, and just went slower than normal when I quilted it. My husband was shocked when he saw the muted colors (as I usually use so many brights!), but when he knew it was a memory quilt, he liked it better. I only have pictures of the blocks...
Attached Thumbnails memorychristina1.jpg  
Old 01-13-2014, 08:33 AM

I suggest the Pellon Shir-Tailor fusible interfacing for the t-shirts. It's usually used in garment sewing, but works great for t-shirt quilts.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:18 AM

I gave my sister 6 memory quilts for Christmas pieced together from my nephew's clothes. (her son was killed in a horrible accident.) I am far from an expert, but I mixed all of the fabrics together on most of the quilts.... jeans, sweatshirts and shirts. I put fusible interfacing on the tshirts and sweatshirts. I used a #16 needed when I sewed the denim and I think I used a #12 on the other fabrics. When I quilted I used #16 as well.. I had no problems with damaged fabrics. I did use some filler fabric of horses, and wildlife that my nephew liked to help fill out the quilts. Good luck I am sure the quilts will be loved.