Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need advice on this "watercolor" quilt

I also like the yellow just as it is. Your quilt is going to be stupendous - can't wait to see the finished project!

I think it is beautiful as is.

Just perfect!
    mea

Leave the yellows. They look like rays from the sun. It's adorable!
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SherB View Post
    Attachment 569589 This is my first watercolor quilt. Well, actually, my second attempt, but the first was regulated to "file 13". It is 2" squares, unsewn. Bunny and raccoon are painted on separate fabric to be appliquéd after sewing the background together, if I get that far! I was attempting to make it look like the sun is shining on my critters. Do I need to reverse my light and dark yellows? Should the yellows be eliminated altogether? This is the first quilt new quilters should make. I have learned so much about color value with this project. Still, lots more to learn. All suggestions will be appreciated.
    I love your sunlight effect. I have been studying water color quilts for a while now, and the only comment I have is if you count four blocks down, and four blocks over, on the upper right, in the photo, there is kind of a "void" space in the branches that immediately caught my eye, with all the beauty you have accomplished, maybe adjust the six squares? That might just might focus your sunbeam better? Just my thought... (And worth every penny you paid for it, right? Lol.)
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Blog Entries
    Do you know how lucky you are to have a quilt wall? Over the years I have quilted I have realised my biggest mistakes come from not being able to step back to see the whole thing before I begin to piece.
    GramMER to eighteen, plus two great-granddaughters and four adopted greats soon we hope!

To me you have done it perfectly!!!

This is a beautiful piece, and the critter friends are the perfect focal point. I think your sunbeam in well placed, but I would try taking the yellow all the way to the ground.

For example, try putting one directly behind the bunny's tail, one behind the raccoon's cap on the right, and a third one diagonal to that one. Wherever an artist wants the viewer's focus to go, the brightest light should go. Play with that idea and see if it makes a difference.
    Last edited by zozee; 03-12-2017 at 07:23 PM. Reason: it's ground not water, silly me!

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I have continued to play with the placement of my yellows, and taking pictures. I think I am finally satisfied. I'm going on vacation for a week then I will finish this when I get home and post pictures. Thanks again for all the encouragement and help! What a great group of folks on here!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2