Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need advise please >

need advise please

need advise please

Old 09-22-2013, 01:06 PM

Default need advise please

is anybody familier with Pat Speth? I sign up for her workshop oct 2 and I am going to make this http://www.patspeth.com/workshops.html flying home from bali bali the only thing I know is to bring 5x5 sqrs plus of course machine mat ect ect! is this consider a scrappy? would the lighter color be the main fabric? and dose anybody have any idea how it is put together? I'm new to this and I'm thinking it's something like putting a color 5x5 on to a whiteish /lite 5x5 sqr and drawing 2 diagnol lines and sewing 1/4 inch from the lines it's half sqr triangles and 4 patch this is my very first workshop and I like to practice some blocks before going so I have an idea and won't get lost in the schuffle, appreciate any help thanks......mandy
Old 09-22-2013, 01:20 PM

Pat Speth is the author of the "Nickel Quilt" books , they are based on using 5 inch squares of fabric. They are my favorite inspiration for scrap quilts. I like to use a light white on white or natural color fabric when I work on her patterns , as the background. The pattern you refer is made up of a few basic units.. Relax and let the class guide you through the methods. If you must practice... buy the book with the pattern and her instructions. Each of her books has many nice patterns so its a good buy for the money.

Last edited by Lori S; 09-22-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:25 PM

The link you gave shows the bali bali quilt you mentioned. It looks like flying geese and nine patches. Very pretty, should be fun.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by mandyrose View Post
is anybody familier with Pat Speth? I sign up for her workshop oct 2 and I am going to make this http://www.patspeth.com/workshops.html flying home from bali bali the only thing I know is to bring 5x5 sqrs plus of course machine mat ect ect! is this consider a scrappy? would the lighter color be the main fabric? and dose anybody have any idea how it is put together? I'm new to this and I'm thinking it's something like putting a color 5x5 on to a whiteish /lite 5x5 sqr and drawing 2 diagnol lines and sewing 1/4 inch from the lines it's half sqr triangles and 4 patch this is my very first workshop and I like to practice some blocks before going so I have an idea and won't get lost in the schuffle, appreciate any help thanks......mandy
Looks pretty simple to me. Vertical rows of flying geese and then vertical rows of 4x4 squares
Old 09-22-2013, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by greensleeves View Post
The link you gave shows the bali bali quilt you mentioned. It looks like flying geese and nine patches. Very pretty, should be fun.
Not 9 patches, 4x4's
Old 09-22-2013, 03:33 PM

Wait for the class. She does not always use 1/4 in seams. She likes to get the most out of a nickel square. I took her class and she is a very good teacher.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:15 PM
Power Poster

I LOVE her books!! I cut up almost 100 men's shirts into charm squares and have used many patterns from her nickel quilt books.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:08 PM

When I do a class or similiar I look at it as a learning project. If I like and enjoy the work and final result I can buy some more fabric and repeat. In classes I find that some teachers confuse me with this is what to do and this is what not to do. Then I go to my machine I can't remember which is right or wrong.
If you have no finished item at the end the class wAs not a learning curve. Eg I went on an expensive class along way from home with a friend who is a far more experienced quilter than I am. Neither of us had ever done the project before. We had to take scraps for landscape with us. My friend kept saying oh I have that at home oh I have thT at home I am not sure about this etc. she was trying me be perfect with shade matches. Me oh that's green, that is yellow , blue and put them on. No bother about matching shades etc. I have a finished project in my classes course folder. Friend went home undid everything and has nothing to show other than a feeling the day was a wSte of money.
So just do it. When I do a very difficult class I take notes and keep with the notes from class and my additional notes.
Have fun and don't stress like my friend.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:27 AM

I love Pat Speth's books! I have never taken a class from her, but have corresponded with her, and she's very sweet and accomodating. I think you'll enjoy the class. Her Nickel Quilts patterns are beautiful.