Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need To Choose A New Iron >
  • Need To Choose A New Iron

• Need To Choose A New Iron

Old 02-09-2011, 06:31 AM

I have had several high priced irons but HATE the auto shut off!! I bought a Proctor Silex at WM and love it !! It was about $8.00 and it stays on until I turn it off! I heard they were going to start making all irons with an auto shut off so I went to WM and bought 3 more. Price is right and should last as long as I'm able to quilt!!
    Old 02-09-2011, 06:36 AM

I went to Target and test drove all their irons and picked one up there. I believe it was a shark, the only problem is it shuts down and then you have to move it to reheat again. Price was about $15.
    Old 02-09-2011, 06:43 AM

I used an Oliso on a retreat recently and it was really nice, thinking I may upgrade, right now I just have something inexpensive from Target but I really liked the lift motion on the Oliso.
    Old 02-09-2011, 07:06 AM

I thought I just had to have a Rowenta when my last iron (a cheap brand that I had for more than 20 years) finally gave up. So I spent over 100 dollars and am not impressed at all. Oh, it works fine but not any better than a cheaper brand. My advice...save the money for fabric and buy a less expensive iron.
    Old 02-09-2011, 07:20 AM

I bought the cheapest iron at Wal Mart recently (GE I think) for $6.97. I love it. It does not have an auto shut off, so it stays hot! Just have to be sure to unplug when I'm done, but if it doesn't last long, I won't be heartbroken. I had a Rowenta and it started leaking after a few months, I'll never pay that much for an iron again!
    Old 02-09-2011, 08:00 AM

I have had two Rowentas. The first one lasted 10 years and never gave me any problems. That was the reason I bought my second one. This one leaks. I have an cheap one in my closet and may get it down and start using it. I do like the auto shut off as I use to find my iron on in the morning after a night of sewing. :( Now I have my iron plugged into a power strip and also have a night light plugged into the power strip. If the night light is on as I leave my sewing studio, then I know I have left the iron on.
    Old 02-09-2011, 08:23 AM

I bought an Eliso and really love it.
    Janet
    Old 02-09-2011, 08:27 AM

I have a GE that I have used for years and I am happy with it. It has an auto shut-off and doesn't shut off too quickly. I really like that feature. I don't use water in my iron anymore-just use starch and a spray bottle for water.My mom went through the Rowenta leaks and finally bought a Shark from WalMart ($50.)and she loves it. It does shut off fairly quickly but heats back up quickly.
    Old 02-09-2011, 08:31 AM

I have a B&D that I got in 1986 - still going strong.

DH wants me to get a new one and is fascinated with Rowenta. Why, I don't know. Maybe the models made in Germany are better than the lower priced models which are now made in China.

My LQS has Sunbeam but they leak and sputter.

My only complaint with my iron is that it isn't auto shutoff if the iron falls on its base or side and the cord isn't in the middle - more for a right-handed person.
    Old 02-09-2011, 08:35 AM

Had two Rowenta irons. Both leaked massively. Today I'm using an old Sunbeam I bought at the thrift shop. Steam doesn't work but a mist water bottle does when I want steam. Recently bought and returned a Braun because of leakage. Have a Shark but hate the auto off. Most irons made today have that feature and I personally hate it.