Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Need Christmas gift ideas...time to get started.

napkins, pot holders, casserole carry bags, candle mats, mug rugs with mugs & cocoa mix

Blog Entries
    If you want a really raucus gift idea, try boxer shorts in Christmas fabrics. I've made them for my boys for years. Surprisingly enough they love em. So 2 years ago, I stepped it up a notch and made them for all the guys in the family. Old and young alike. It was hilarious!! Some thought it was great, some were mortified. In the end we all had the best laugh we have had in years. It resulted in requests from the gals to make them some and stitch down the fly. They are really comfy on hot summer nights. In the house of course, you don't want the neighbors talking!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by calicojoan View Post
    If you want a really raucus gift idea, try boxer shorts in Christmas fabrics. I've made them for my boys for years. Surprisingly enough they love em. So 2 years ago, I stepped it up a notch and made them for all the guys in the family. Old and young alike. It was hilarious!! Some thought it was great, some were mortified. In the end we all had the best laugh we have had in years. It resulted in requests from the gals to make them some and stitch down the fly. They are really comfy on hot summer nights. In the house of course, you don't want the neighbors talking!

I've made the boxers for sons and the girls for every holiday they love it The girls really like them there comfy they say so this year I'll make a bunch. Also made the bed skirt to match their quilts along with pillowcases,a big hit. Dresser scarfs are good idea to!!!!
    You know if your a quilter when you cleanup your sewing room and your family thinks your moving out!! Author U/K Sue

I would make them a Christmas wall hanging that can also be put on the front door.

Blog Entries
    i was going to say placemats also but the kind they can keep out all year. and mug rugs to match.
    SMILE- it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.
    Stay strong and keep looking up.

The new Connecting Threads catalog just came in the mail. There are so many cute patterns in it and lovely new Holiday and Christmas fabric... my hubby is going to have a fit... but I am going to have to order some. If you don't get the catalog... check out the web site connectingthreads.com they often have free patterns too, and shipping is free for $50 order... Hope you find something fun. Quilter 1234

Cool Gift Ideas

How about pillow cases. I plan on making some cute themed pillow cases and maybe a bed runner to match.

Blog Entries
    A quilted basket liner, and it could possibly be used as a card holder.
    Create with joy in your heart!

I'm going for kitchen stuff for my college-age dau: pot holders, aprons, embroidered dish towels, reusable shopping bags.

Blog Entries
    Table toppers, maybe some tree ornaments, mini gift card holders or money, for teen you could make book covers or notebook covers with a pen holder, key fobs, cup cozys
    Mary

I love the idea of a christmas card holder! It has my mind racing now too! LOL...
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Last year I did a yo yo Christmas tree framed in a open frame for the mantel and penant banner with "joy" spellled out and a placemat for "Santa" with appliqued cookies and carrots for the reindeer.

Senior Member quilting in my60s's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sandyl View Post
    I like the stockings and pillow idea. I could do a Christmas pillow. All three have cats....hmmm ideas now forming. Thanks so much for your help.
    how about little quilts for the cats?
    quilting with my dogs

KLO
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PABerard View Post
    I think I am going to make everyone either glass coasters or those hot bowl holders for oatmeal/soup.

Ruth, where did you find a pattern/tut for the bowl holders? What a great gift... clever and pretty! I'd love to gift some of these for my children that love oatmeal, soup and pasta! TIA ~ Pat

I think these bow holders would make great gifts too. Here is where to find that tute that someone on this board put up:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...s-t174139.html

Here is a second tute also on the QB:

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...s-t144848.html

Just think of all the different themed fabrics that could be used to suit the receiver!
    Last edited by KLO; 06-22-2012 at 10:39 AM.

Just wondering, what did you get??????????

How about something for all the holidays, like Memorial Day, Flag day, 4th of July Thanksgiving. ? You can make them anytime and give them for Christmas.
    learn each and every day,memories or play.

table runner or placemats using the 4patch posy, I love the winter metallics. Now I need to go check my own stash.
    countrymaid- I clean up after the kids, the husband and the farm animals

one year my aunt made each of my kids a small stocking (gift card size) with their picture from a previous Christmas printed on fabric. We still hang them on the tree each year.

How about something for a different holiday? Halloween or thanksgiving or even special birthday placemats?

How about pillowcases???? I have made several for my family and they just love them.

How about kitchen towels--you can find ideas for how to transform dollar store towels into seasonal items--and pot holders to match? froggyintexas

Has anyone seen the seasonal place mats that are sewed togather & you just flip them to what season you want ??? My niece let me take one of hers to figure out. There is about 3 different holidays in one clump. No batting & they are just tacked about 1/2" on the edge at the center. I'm anxious to try to make some. They would make nice gifts. Rowena101

Quote Originally Posted by Sew N Tune View Post
    I'm going to do some of those Strata Stars. I'm hooked on the concept, and you can do for any season. Good luck with whatever you choose.
    Not sure what this is, would you elaborate or link a site with a picture - please-

Quote Originally Posted by Rowena101 View Post
    Has anyone seen the seasonal place mats that are sewed togather & you just flip them to what season you want ??? My niece let me take one of hers to figure out. There is about 3 different holidays in one clump. No batting & they are just tacked about 1/2" on the edge at the center. I'm anxious to try to make some. They would make nice gifts. Rowena101
    Rowena, I would love to see these when you finish one! Would you share it with us when finished? (Please?)
    Bootsie

How about a quilted wreath or Christmas tree? The tree could have clips, to hang cards.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast