Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need design wall suggestions >

Need design wall suggestions

Need design wall suggestions

Old 04-06-2014, 08:15 AM

I just reread and saw that your space is 6 feet wide by 9 feet tall. I would cover that whole area with the insulation board. It cuts easily. Probably want wallboard behind it, but I am not any kind of an expert on that... I just know that you will not regret every inch of a design wall!

Dina
Old 04-06-2014, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Another excellent option, since you're still at the building stage, is to put up homosote, either over or instead of, drywall. You could then just hang or permanently adhere your batting/flannel/felt to the homosote, depending on how you want to impact the resale value of the house. Homosote would be more sturdy than foam insulation, yet just as easy to use.
Just wanted to add that you could just staple the covering to the homosote, too. Removable but not floppy. Homosote is like bulletin board.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Just wanted to add that you could just staple the covering to the homosote, too. Removable but not floppy. Homosote is like bulletin board.
Ditto to Ghostie's suggestions .......

I used tentest and covered it with fleece.
Still able to stab pins in, when needed .... it's surprising how much you use it for a bulletin board as well. Eg. pinning a pattern to the wall, PP sections, etc.

You'll never regret making the whole wall your design wall.
Only regret will be that it is not larger!
Old 04-06-2014, 09:39 AM

I use a queen size piece of Warm and Natural tacked to the wall. But I would definitely go with something nicer like the insulation sheets with a wood frame around it. The W+N works fine, but it sure collects a lot of threads and a lint roller only takes off so many of them! I find it annoying.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
I use a queen size piece of Warm and Natural tacked to the wall. But I would definitely go with something nicer like the insulation sheets with a wood frame around it. The W+N works fine, but it sure collects a lot of threads and a lint roller only takes off so many of them! I find it annoying.
That's one of the reasons I went with fleece ... the first design wall I saw was in an LQS. It had been covered with batting, and looked ever-so grubby. I didn't like that look at all. So I went with black fleece, and a quick swipe with a lint roller or brush and it looks great. Blocks/fabrics stick nicely to it. I have hung fully assembled quilts on it with no need for pins ... though I usually stick a few in across the top, just in case!

It's served the test of time ... and no regrets!
Old 04-06-2014, 10:19 AM

For my design wall, which measures 6 feet by 8 feet, my husband affixed sheets of cork to a plywood base so I could pin things to it if I wanted. I tried to add a photo but was unsuccessful--sorry!

Congratulations on your new space.

Last edited by Terri D.; 04-06-2014 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:30 AM
Administrator

I got two of those shades that rolls up.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_63907-49091-...des&facetInfo=

(I'm not hawking lowe's products. The link is just so you can see exactly what I got.)

one of them is 6 feet wide; the other is 8 feet wide.
the smaller one hangs from the wall unit in my sewing room.
it's covered with a vinyl table cloth - fuzzy side out.
i roll it up and down as needed to get to the shelves behind.
it works very well for just about anything up to twin size.
if something has gotten heavy enough to need pinning, i have no problem shoving pins through the little plastic tubes it's made from.

i am going to hang the bigger one from hooks i'll put in the ceiling.
i will cover that one with batting.
it will stay rolled up and out of the way unless i need it for a big project.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:03 AM

My husband and I added things I needed when we turned our 3rd bedroom into my sewing sewing room. He used 4'x8' sheets of 1/2" fiberboard for the design wall. I covered them with 1 layer of cotton batting and flannel that is a very pale yellow cream, the same color as the walls. He mounted them horizontally and framed them with white painted wood trim. Horizontally through the center where the 2 pieces meet he used a narrow 3/4 inch piece of white corner cove to further stabilize it. It is a part of the room, we wanted it to be usable as a child or teen's bedroom or office if desired when we decide to sell. He built in a wall mounted entertainment and shelf unit, recessed cabinets between the 2 closets, a cutting station with storage cubbies on both sides, a big board ironing surface to fit over my existing ironing board, and an amazing 3 piece sewing and quilting table with a recess for my Elna "Esther". He also built a daybed with underneath storage for an extra sleeping spot, but I can use it as a couch for handwork. LOVE my room- as you will love yours! So thankful for his talents!
Old 04-06-2014, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Terri D. View Post
For my design wall, which measures 6 feet by 8 feet, my husband affixed sheets of cork to a plywood base so I could pin things to it if I wanted. I tried to add a photo but was unsuccessful--sorry!

Congratulations on your new space.
This is what we were leaning toward but I wasn't sure how well it would work. Where did you get the cork?
Old 04-06-2014, 01:25 PM

Insulation board for sure