Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: need to get back

Blog Entries
    Why not check out one or more of your local quilt shop? Most have classes that they offer, and with instructors, are good for even the newst novice quilter........

You are joining a large group of wonderful people, who share a common interest...start visiting your local shops, meet some of the people there, and you will soon be quilting like nobody's business!

Hang in there!

Hi and Welcome from southern Indiana!!

Well, I got in over my head last year. Took a class in making a lonestar and I wanted it king size for ME. What was I thinking? It's now a UFO. But I WILL finish the darn thing!!

Everyone has given you great advise sing a long. When I first started quilting there were no quilt stores or teachers near by so I got Elenor Burns, Trip Around the World, Quilt in a Day book. It took longer than a day of course but I made it through and then tied it. Since then I've grown in experience and confidence. That was 12 years ago. You will do just fine!

I have been working on a Burgoyne Surround quilt off and on for 4 years and I'm still not finished it (get frustrated and put it away). Mine was also a mystery quilt. I wished I had had the opportunity to peek ahead, because if I had I would have never started it. I have made a vow that this is the year to finish it and by the end of this summer! (I'll keep you posted).

One of the nicest and easiest quilt I have ever made was called a "Floral Fantasy". I made mine scrappy but you can make it in a "selected" colorway. It's fun and easy and the result will boost your confidence to make other types of quilts.

Don't give up......quilting can and is fun........

Super Member mary quite contrary's Avatar
    Welcome back to quilting. We've all gotten in over our heads at some point. Nothing a little time & experience won't fix. You can do whatever it is you decide to do. Be sure to show us pictures.

Blog Entries
    It is nice to hear that I am not the only one who is frustrated with this quilt. I did take the project out of the closet the other day. I don't have a clue as to where to start again....It is supposed to snow again tomorrow, so I will be homebound and will read over the instructions again and try to do something. Maybe I just have to put it in my mind that it is going to take a LONG time to finish....Thanks for the encouragement

Blog Entries
    Taking a LONG time is not a bad thing really. I have one that I've been working on...well, almost a year. I keep getting stuck. I have to let it sit and rest up so that it "speaks" to me again. Then I can get a little more done. I'm in no hurry...its like I tell DH...I don't think I can :lol: afford to be a fast quilter!

Blog Entries
    I have been looking for a small project to do, to get me back in the mood for quilting....I do not have a lot of stash so I want something that does not require a lot of fabric...watching my dollars closely at this time....Your e-mails have got me thinking about this whole process....take time...do my best and enjoy the process.. Thanks for all the different ideas.....

I agree with pal, El Burns books are easy to follow and very detailed.
    My quilts using her patterns always turn out nice.

Hi Singalong,
    Where in Upstate? I know all about the projects that sit in the closet. Easy projects are strip quilting. There are some great rotary cutter books on the market. My very first quilt was a KING size quilt. But it was from a rotary cutter book and it came out great. If you need practice quilts, you can find books and fabric at yardsales, make the quilts as lap quilts and offer them to the local aged living facilities. They will be glad to have them and no one will notice the imperfections. That way, they don't stack up in your closet. With all the fabric you have from your unfinished project, you can salvage it and use it in the next project. Then, when you have more practice under your belt, get the pattern out and start again. Remember, go slow. It really pays off.

Welcome from South Louisiana. I've been quilting since "95 and still consider myself a "beginner" because I still work with the simpler patterns. I don't have enough years to ever be able to make all the patterns I would like to make. I love cutting and piecing, and yes, I still pin. Thanks to this board I have taken UFOs out of the closet and boxes and have completed a few of them. All you will get here is kindness, friendship, love, encouragement, and support. They have answered my questions and listened to my woes. When I don't know something, I ask. And I don't know a lot of things, but sometimes I find that I DO know enough to share with one that is more of a beginner than me. :lol:

As far as that complex first pattern of yours, I agree with many. You can do what some have suggested and put it all away in a safe place to get back to when you are more confident and skilled. OR you can chalk it up to experience and use the remaining fabric for another easier project. Keep the block/s that are done to use in another way. Perhaps one day you will make a sampler and you can use it as the starring block.

Good luck to you. Keep us posted on your progress.

This may be too simple for you, but I had fun making it this morning! Such an informative tutorial. I'm looking forward to the next steps and quilting it. I don't normally quilt things myself, so I thought I'd keep it small.

http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/?p=697

:D

Sew, Mama, Sew Doll Quilt
    Name:  Attachment-26167.jpe
Views: 23
Size:  61.3 KB

Blog Entries
    I bookmarked the web site...Just what I need ....Thanks for sending it along.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2