Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need to get back >

need to get back

need to get back

Old 01-28-2009, 07:57 AM

Hi Singalong ~ I am feeling your pain; I did a similar thing. A few years ago; I decided to get back into sewing, after many years of being away from it. I bought a new Pfaff machine to replace my antiquated (sp?) Kenmore, and then signed up at LQS to join the Thimbleberries Club. They were making a HUGE BOM quilt. The piecing was WAY beyond my skill level and I became very frustrated and could not keep up with everyone. I was absolutely sick to think of the money I had invested (over $200 when all was said & done) and ultimately this UFO got wadded up and shoved in the farthest corner of my closet (where it remains to this day). But, guess what? I will finish it some day ...... I know I will. I just needed to get some experience under my belt first. So my advice is to build your confidence first with some easy quilt patterns. My first completed quilt was "Yellow Brick Road"; A pattern put out by Atkinson Designs. Another wonderful easy pattern that many of us on this board have used is called "Warm Wishes". You can find it on the McCall's webste. Most important thing about quilting is not the end product, but rather the journey along the way! in other words, make sure that you enjoy the journey ...... Happy Quilting, Nita
Old 01-28-2009, 08:01 AM

Oooops, sorry ...... Didn't realize that I posted two replies :oops:
Nita
Old 01-28-2009, 08:09 AM

You coulld start out just joining squares together a 6 1/2" is a good size. Just join enough squares together till you like the size. Pick one or two colors or mix it up. You could back it with a piece of fleece and sew it lilke A pillow. You can then tie it or tack it. this will get you going again. Quilting can be as hard or easy as you want it to be. :D Good luck and welcome from NY
Old 01-28-2009, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

What I would do is take the finished blocks and small pieces of fabric that have already been cut out and set them aside as the beginnings of a "stash". The pattern can be the start of your pattern collection of "someday" quilts.

For the fabric that is left, I would probably do a baby quilt in a rail fence pattern. That would give you strip piecing experience. The pattern is an easy one that doesn't require matching seams; you just have to make sure your blocks are square before sewing them together. You can always buy a little more fabric to add to what you have if you need another color, a contrast fabric to spark up the quilt or for borders, etc.

Remember that quilting started out with women using leftover bits of fabric from everywhere. Some of the most wonderful quilts I have seen were very spontaneous, with fabrics sewn together every which way -- no need for an exact pattern, exact cutting or sewing, precision.

You can abandon the pattern and use the fabric for a different creation.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:52 AM

When I first started out a very savey quilter told me to just make Half Square Triangles. They make so many designs with just that one square.
Make 2 1/2 inch ones. Then put them togather in any design to make an 8 1/2 square.
If you use El Burns method you can make 8 at a time.
Just cut out 2 six inch squares, one light one dark.
With right sides facing draw a line from each corner to make an X. Sew 1/4 inch from each side of the lines.
Cut your sq in half at 3 inchs on both sides of sq. Like a + then cut on drawn lines. You will have 8 triangles that will need to be squared up to 2 1/2 inchs.
They will be perfect.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:12 AM

Singalong, I feel your pain. I am new to quilting myself, and to sewing in general really. I get in over my head easily. This board is a lot of help, I too would recommend you browse the pics here and maybe you will be inspired by some of the patterns shown. I started with a class for my very first project. Then I started working on small things that I can finish: postcards, hot pads, things like that. Then I used Carol Doak book: Your first quilt book, or it should be.[i] for my second project. It has many beginner projects with detailed instructions, it is really a good book overall. So why not put your current overwhelming project on hold for now and work your way up to it?
Just a thought.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sandpat
Hi Singalong and welcome to the board! Just what is this project that you bought that you think is sooo way over your head? One option is to just take the projct you bought and start out slowly...do just 1 block at a time and then you'll end up with the entire quilt done. :lol:

If you really feel you need a confidence builder first...what about a nine patch...or rail fence or something very simple.

You can go to http://www.quilterscache.com and look at the blocks listed as "beginner" and you should be able to find something that you can start with.

Show us what you are up to...we love pics!
i agree and just have fun
Old 01-28-2009, 09:33 AM

Don't despair and please don't quilt. I have only been quilting about 1 1/2 years and have gotten so many ideas and helpful hints from this board. One thing I have learned is how to distinguish between quilts that are beyond my skill level now and ones that I can successfully accomplish. Buy some beautiful fabric that you just love and find an easy pattern. My first was a rail fence baby quilt for my grandson. It came out reasonably well and was very satisfying. The link is listed below.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/2024.page
Old 01-28-2009, 09:41 AM

Welcome from Illinois! I have gotten in over my head several times, and now I just plow ahead when I have time. I have a problem with perfection, and that ain't happenin' here, I've come to realize. So I just have fun with the fabric (most of the time) and try to learn something on the way.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:23 AM

Thanks for all time each of you took to answer my plea....

When I bought the book, and the fabric, I was with a few experienced quilter ladies and they assured me I could do it...no problem..

I think I will try to make something out of the blocks already pieced ( as some suggested)...and use the rest of the fabric that is not cut for another project.....Hearing that I am not the only one who has had this happen to them, gives me a little lift on this snowy day......thanks again!! will let you know what I do!!!